The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of an injured player ... Darren Haydar gets recalled to the Thrashers team. :hmm:

I wonder how long The Wolves will be without their captain again ?? :tsk:

Actually, it would be nice if Haydar could help the Thrashers win a few games now. :up:

They have been in a losing streak since game 1. :sad:

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
A friend of mine is going tonight, has seats right by the glass and then says "eh, I doubt this will get me excited about hockey again, we'll see".

Some people. :madwife:

When I had season tix we used to split them with another guy...we had one set about 12 rows up in a corner (still my favorite spot in the rink) and another on the glass, behind the net. It was great. Hockey is one sport where you always love it 10 times more once you've seen it in person, especially with good seats.

The Chicago Wolves beat the Milwaukee Admirals in OT last Saturday scoring 2-1.

Also on the NHL front, Darren Haydar, who was recalled from Chicago (AHL) on Thursday,
scored his first-career NHL goal at 2:21 of the first period ... Haydar added one assist to give him
a two point night in his second game with the Thrashers this season.

:yippie:

This is depressing ... the Thrashers are definitely on a losing streak. :sad:

Flyers 4, Thrashers 0
By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
Box Score | Play-by-Play
3 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA - Martin Biron's acrobatic play in the net and a roster suddenly loaded with goal scorers has the Philadelphia Flyers back in a more familiar position in the standings.

First place.

Too early to look at where they fit in the division? Don't tell that to the Flyers.

"We want to be the best team in the league,'' Biron said. "We want to show we've really made the effort to work at it. It all matters now.''

Jeff Carter and Sami Kapanen scored 34 seconds apart in the second period, and Biron was sensational again in leading the Flyers past the winless Atlanta Thrashers 4-0 on Tuesday night.

"You don't play for shutouts, but it's definitely nice when they come,'' Biron said.

Biron made 31 saves in his first shutout since the Flyers acquired him from Buffalo in February to solidify the No. 1 goaltender spot. He had his 19th NHL shutout and his first since April 18, 2006, against Carolina.

Mike Richards and Randy Jones also scored for the Flyers, who are alone in first place in the Atlantic Division. The Flyers (4-1) didn't win their fourth game last season until Nov. 15.

"It's definitely the way we wanted to start,'' Biron said. "We have four home games where we really wanted to make a statement.''

The Flyers are getting contributions from everyone. Carter and Kapanen both scored for the second straight game. Carter and Danny Briere both have four goals, and eight others have scored -an impressive stat for a team that last season didn't get much production after the first line.

"It's always nice when we get production outside the Briere line and we're starting to get it,'' coach John Stevens said. "We think our back end can start to contribute offensively and they really have.''

For every team that takes a leap in the standings, there's usually one that tumbles. This time, it's the woeful Thrashers.

Even with Marian Hossa back after a three-game absence with a groin injury, the Thrashers lost their sixth straight game and are the only team in the NHL without a win.

Because all the losses have come in regulation, the Thrashers - also swept in their first playoff appearance last spring - don't even have a point.

One reason is their abysmal play on the power play. Atlanta was 2-for-21 entering the game, and failed to score on five chances against the Flyers.

"I think we're just beating ourselves up,'' Thrashers center Bryan Little said. "We've got to kind of start the season all over again and just forget about it because if we keep thinking about it, it's just going to get worse.''

Johan Hedberg stopped all 12 shots in the first period and the Flyers seemed to be missing some zip. Those brief spells of lethargic play have gnawed at Stevens all season, but Philadelphia got it over with early.

Richards scored his third goal 1 minute, 21 seconds into the middle period, sneaking the puck past Hedberg on his glove side.

Carter scored his fourth goal with 7:04 left on a wrister over Hedberg's left shoulder. The crowd was still celebrating and the goal was being announced when Kapanen made it 3-0. R.J. Umberger's shot from the circle bounced off Hedberg's pads and floated in front of the net, just enough time for a charging Kapanen to whip the puck into the empty net.

"When we get those chances, we've been burying them this year and it's turning into wins for us,'' Carter said.

Jones scored his first goal of the season in the third to make it 4-0.

The Thrashers couldn't recover and lost to the Flyers for the seventh straight time. The last time Atlanta beat Philadelphia was Nov. 18, 2005.

"The last thing that those guys need right now is to be hard on them,'' coach Bob Hartley said. "It's hard enough right now. When people don't have great confidence you don't step on them. I'm part of this. We have to find solutions.''

Biron, who has started all five games, made the save of the night late in the first period. Eric Perrin's high shot whirled Biron around. He stopped the puck, landed on his back with his head pointed straight at the blue faceoff circle and earned a standing ovation.

"He makes the difficult saves look easy,'' Stevens said.

Notes: The Flyers assigned RWs David Laliberte and Gino Pisellini and D Mike Vannelli to Wheeling of the ECHL. ... The Flyers have scored at least three goals in every game. ... Philadelphia had only one three-game winning streak last season.

The Flyers are looking good early, hopefully it lasts.

I heard the Flyers were doing well, though really no one I know in Philly follows hockey anymore.

phillyfan26 said:
I heard the Flyers were doing well, though really no one I know in Philly follows hockey anymore.

They have a very good and exciting team. If people in Philly don't follow the Flyers now they soon will be because I think they'll go far in the playoffs, if not this year but in the next year or two.

Daniel Briere has really helped out the team so far this year and had some highlight-reel type goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6_0cQKbH2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESUP0q7JT5E&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gza...philadelphia flyers knuble nhl calgary flames

Briere is very very skilled with the puck. The new NHL was made for guys like Briere (and Michael Nylander etc), smaller guys who really couldn't play their games before the obstruction fouls started being called.

I know I'm getting excited about the Flyers (but I'm all the way down here in Florida so...) The best part is they're really a young club with guys like Gagne & Richards, Umberger etc.

Originally posted by DaveC
So, as a goalie, you DON'T play to stop the other team from scoring any goals?

:scratch:

Well, of course, you do try !! :up:

But, I've NEVER seen a goaltender be that much of a 'perfectionist' where they could do that on a consistent level. :tsk:

I guess that's what makes a 'shutout' so-ooo spectacular and amazing. :yes:
Or you could think every netminder would be able to accomplish it, if it was that simple. :hmm:

Originally posted by CTU2fan
Wow, Bob Hartley got fired...that was quick.

Here's the actual story ... there's also a podcast interview on the Thrashers website. :up:

Thrashers Make Coaching Change
Atlanta Thrashers Oct 17, 2007, 1:13 PM EDT

ATLANTA (Oct. 17, 2007) -- Bob Hartley has been relieved of his duties as the Atlanta Thrashers head coach, according to Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Waddell.

“This is always a very difficult decision to make, but we feel that this is the best thing for our team right now,” said Waddell. “We thank Bob for his service over the last four-plus seasons, but we believe that a new approach is necessary to get the club back on track and compete at the level we feel we are capable of.”

Hartley, who was hired as the franchise’s second head coach on Jan. 13, 2003, posted a 136-123-32 record during his tenure in Atlanta and led the Thrashers to their first-ever Southeast Division championship last season. Prior to his time with the Thrashers, Hartley guided the Colorado Avalanche from June 30, 1998 to Dec. 19, 2002, where he posted a 193-118-48 record in 359 regular-season contests and captured the Stanley Cup in 2001.

Bob Hartley is a terrible coach and GM. The Cup that he won with Colorado was more so because he had a killer team than anything.

Originally posted by DaveC
Bob Hartley is a terrible coach and GM. The Cup that he won with Colorado was more so because he had a killer team than anything.

Yeah, and that does NOT put some speculation any further at ease, when most Wolves fans are in fear right now that Atlanta may think of possibly pulling Wolves coach, John Anderson, to go coach the Thrashers team. :ohmy:

Because the Wolves are Atlanta's AHL affilliate, what's even more pathetic is we're all wondering how many of those players MAY get called up to the NHL to help try and get the Thrashers outta their slump. :hmm:

Some of the original Thrashers players have commented that there's only 5 veterans besides a few new younger players on the team. They feel it's necessary to communicate, help each other out and work together as a unit ... BEFORE they will see better results. Obviously, that is NOT happening at the moment ... they all feel unorganized since they are struggling as a team.

So, the guess is that since the Wolves are 2-0 right now ... they can afford to dismantle their affilliate team to help benefit in the Thrashers favor. The Thrashers are the ONLY team in the NHL without a win, who have lost 6 games straight in a row. Also, because all the losses have come in regulation, The Thrashers don't even have a point. It's just a sad situation for the team and losing their coach isn't the easiest manner to further accept.

GM Don Waddell had this to say of the coaching change...

“This is always a very difficult decision to make, but we feel that this is the best thing for our team right now,” said Waddell. “We thank Bob for his service over the last four-plus seasons, but we believe that a new approach is necessary to get the club back on track and compete at the level we feel we are capable of.”

Hopefully, that thinking will help The Thrashers quest in coming back. I just hope they leave the Wolves alone ... otherwise, it could become an even bigger mess for Chicago's AHL team.

I have a question, where is sergue federoff? I remember him being the star or detroit along with a few others... i remember that no one would be able to him him hard because he was so fast..

tpsreports2424 said:
I have a question, where is sergue federoff? I remember him being the star or detroit along with a few others... i remember that no one would be able to him him hard because he was so fast..

With the Blue Jackets

tpsreports2424 said:

He spent a couple of seasons in Anaheim and now he's in Columbus.

Oh, and it's Sergei Fedorov :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ok, wtf is up with Detroit still being in the Western division after all this time?

It's ridiculous that Detroit and Chicago are in the west, but I guess the NHL wants some classic teams in that conference. I guess it's good business, but it'd be awesome if they were in the east with TO, MTL and the Rangers. Olde Tyme Hockey and shit.

UberBeaver said:

It's ridiculous that Detroit and Chicago are in the west, but I guess the NHL wants some classic teams in that conference. I guess it's good business, but it'd be awesome if they were in the east with TO, MTL and the Rangers. Olde Tyme Hockey and shit.

I'd say it's even more ridiculous that Nashville is in the West.

I guess they have to balance the conferences out, but damn it must cost an extreme amount for travel for Western teams compared to Eastern teams.

DaveC said:

I'd say it's even more ridiculous that Nashville is in the West.

I guess they have to balance the conferences out, but damn it must cost an extreme amount for travel for Western teams compared to Eastern teams.

No kidding. Take a look at the Atlantic Division, for example. The New York Rangers play eight of their road games within the New York metropolitan area (against the New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders). The remaining road games in that division are against Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, both less than an hour flight away.

In fact, for most teams in the East, road games within the conference are at most a 3 hour flight, with Montreal/Ottawa-Miami being the longest trip.

It's ridiculous when compared to the Western conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom