The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Has Boston ever really been a big hockey town, though? The only time that comes to mind is the 70's or 80's when Orr and Borque were playing.

I don't think so. My father is from there and he's a big sports fan, but hockey was never big. I don't remember anyone up there really talking about it when I would go up there. I think Boston is more of a Baseball and sometime Basketball town.

UberBeaver said:

I don't think so. My father is from there and he's a big sports fan, but hockey was never big. I don't remember anyone up there really talking about it when I would go up there. I think Boston is more of a Baseball and sometime Basketball town.

Hockey has never been the #1 sport here, although as April mentioned, the years of the Big Bad Bruins in the 70's, led by Orr, were a high point for them.

The Red Sox are always the #1 team around here, although the Patriots have been kind of #1A this decade, sort of like the Celtics used to be.

It may not be the #1 sport in Boston, but there is a group of diehard, rabid Bruin fans that exist. Due to the ownership not spending money, spending money unwisely, and just being douchebags in general the casual fans have really been turned off. I think that hockey could definitely make a comeback, but a lot of things need to change.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

roy_vernon0515.jpg

Memories... :wink:

:bow:

Im starting to get back into hockey, big time.

Who is like the team to beat? I know crosby is suppose to be like the gretsky of this time, but he failed up short last years playoffs.

I was at the Red Wings and Carolina Stanley cup game a few years ago in Detroit... Great game, but got an octopus thrown at my head, when it was suppose to go over the glass:mad:

What games are on tonight?

The Leafs sell out every game, right? They have to be bringing in a ton of money...so why do they suck so bad? How much do they pay Sundin and Kaberle? Not that money is always going to bring a championship, but at least once since 1967 it should have worked.

I watched Ottawa play the other night - they're friggin awesome. They play like an organized group of killer bees. I was quite impressed. Then again, I mostly watch the Islanders who play like a bunch of uncoordinated angry drunks, so my baseline isn't real high. But still. Ottawa :up: .

tpsreports2424 said:
I was at the Red Wings and Carolina Stanley cup game a few years ago in Detroit... Great game, but got an octopus thrown at my head, when it was suppose to go over the glass:mad:

Playoff time in Detroit :drool:

Hasek got hit with a puck the other night and it made him go ouchie so he might be out tonight.

I thought it was the goalie's job to get hit with pucks. :shrug:

UberBeaver said:
The Leafs sell out every game, right? They have to be bringing in a ton of money...so why do they suck so bad? How much do they pay Sundin and Kaberle? Not that money is always going to bring a championship, but at least once since 1967 it should have worked.

you would think right? No, not the Leafs, instead we pay top dollar for old guys who get injured half way through the season, defensemen who stand around with their thumbs up their asses and goalies made of swiss cheese :mad:

7 to 1 last night... 7 to fucking 1!!! :scream:

UberBeaver said:

Win or lose the Air Canada Centre (and the Bell Centre here in Montreal, for that matter) will be filled to capacity and the waiting list for season tickets a mile long. If someone decides they're fed up with the direction of the team and drop out, there's always someone willing to take their place.

So, while management will not admit it, my theory is that there's no real incentive to go all out and field a winning team. Why should you spend money on players when the arena is full anyway and the money is coming in by the truckload? If fans stay away, then that would force upper management to do something to attract big-name players to the team.

BonoManiac said:
So, while management will not admit it, my theory is that there's no real incentive to go all out and field a winning team. Why should you spend money on players when the arena is full anyway and the money is coming in by the truckload? If fans stay away, then that would force upper management to do something to attract big-name players to the team.

This is true, as long as people keep buying up the tickets there will not be any drastic changes :sigh:

Yeah indeed!

Did Price really deserve first star, as granted by RDS (I missed a lot of the game as I was switching between that and the Ontario election results) or were they being their usual biaised selves?

Canadiens1160 said:
Habs downed the Penns tonight, with Carey Price making his debut. Fucking win :up:

One game does not a career make but I was mighty impressed with Price's poise. He never gets too high nor too low. I hope he's as good as everyone says he's going to be.

That 2005 draft may turn out to be one of the best in quite a while. Sidney Crosby, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, Price, Gilbert Brulé and Anze Kopitar, to name a few. I still remember Pierre McGuire's reaction when Montreal chose Price with the 5th overall pick. He couldn't understand the logic behind it. I wonder what he thinks about that pick now.

It's about time that the Habs luck out in the draft after some God-awful selections in the 1990s (Brent Bilodeau, Terry Ryan, Terry Higgins, anyone?). Montreal's future looks bright with Chris Higgins, Mike Komisarek, Michael Ryder ( an unrestricted free agent after the season), Andrei Markov, Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne, Tomas Plekanec and Price.

Go Habs Go!

Flyers win 8-2 :up:

Jesse Boulerice :down:

I seem to recall a stick-swinging incident with Boulerice, either in juniors or maybe as a rookie in the AHL...and now this pretty ugly crosscheck. I wonder if he'll get suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom