The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great first two periods for the Habs :drool: I hope a shutout for Price and the team :up:

Edit: awesome win. Price deserves that shutout :drool: (and they're still 1st in the east :happy: )

Last edited:
Well the Habs are back on top of the East after shutting out the New Jersey Devils 4-0. The fans were so-ooo loud during the final minute, that you'd think they won a playoff round or something. The television announcers stopped giving the play-by-play during the final 90 seconds, in a way allowing the fans to be the "voice" of the team.

:yippie:

BonoManiac said:
The fans were so-ooo loud during the final minute, that you'd think they won a playoff round or something. The television announcers stopped giving the play-by-play during the final 90 seconds, in a way allowing the fans to be the "voice" of the team.

yeah, this part was awesome, no wonder why Habs fans were voted the best.

BonoManiac said:
Thora, did you hear what the Florida Panthers were reportedly asking the Canucks in return for Oli Jokinen? They wanted the Sedin twins, and Dave Nonis balked (and rightly so).

No, this is the first I've heard of that! :ohmy: I've kinda been out of the loop on lots of things lately, but I'm surprised my hockey buddies at work haven't mentioned it yet. :hmm:

But yes, I'm glad Nonis didn't do anything. Getting the Sedins in 1999 was one of the best deals the Canucks have made. They have improved by leaps and bounds since then, and are such a key part of the team's success.

ThoraSEB said:

No, this is the first I've heard of that! :ohmy: I've kinda been out of the loop on lots of things lately, but I'm surprised my hockey buddies at work haven't mentioned it yet. :hmm:

But yes, I'm glad Nonis didn't do anything. Getting the Sedins in 1999 was one of the best deals the Canucks have made. They have improved by leaps and bounds since then, and are such a key part of the team's success.

I followed the Nucks trade talks pretty closely, and it's the first I heard of it too. Even a casual hockey fan can see how ridiculous that deal is, I don't think a professional hockey GM would ever dream of actually offering it. I doubt it ever happened.

I'm not glad Nonis did nothing though...the Canucks needed someone who can consistently score goals, and having made zero effort to improve the team's offense (or defense, for that matter), I'm worried about the team's playoff hopes - they'll get in probably, but just barely, and I wouldn't think they'll win more than one game against Detroit, barring a miracle. Luongo is the best goalie in the NHL (yes, I went there) but he can't win games on his own against an offensive powerhouse like Detroit without some help up front.

That said, I'm really, really hoping for that miracle. :slant:

BonoManiac said:
Darren Dreger from TSN

bullshit.jpg

And if there's anybody who knows bullshit, it's the Biggest Douche in the Universe, John Edward.

Good game last night if you don't count the first two periods...

The Leafs were supposed to win in regulation though and they didn't so they fall a little further back, next game in Philly is a "Must Win" game like every single fucking game for the rest of the season... ugh.

It would be nice one year not to need a calculus degree to be able to figure out if the Leafs are in the playoffs or not :angry:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
This thread should start to get really good in the next few weeks.

Playoffs :drool:

I can't wait! This is shaping up to be the most exciting playoffs in years...so much excitement right now, for teams to even make the playoffs. I'd love to see Washington make it...Ovechkin would go crazy.

(I thought your avatar was saying "no peace" for a spilt second...until my brain remembered those mushy dove candies.)

ladywithspinninghead said:
Nope, and he and Andropov are both out against the Islanders on Tuesday.

I hope Sundin plays Saturday against the Sens because if so we're going! :hyper:

judging by how well they played against Buffalo without these two the Leafs are officially done...

Now, where should I turn my playoff loyalty too? :hmm:

elevated_u2_fan said:

Now, where should I turn my playoff loyalty too? :hmm:

Canucks?! :wink:

They've actually been playing quite well lately. There's a bunch of contests around here to win tickets to the game on my birthday (2nd to last regular season game). My hockey guy wasn't able to score me seats, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky and win one of those contests! :lol:

ladywithspinninghead said:
Nope, and he and Andropov are both out against the Islanders on Tuesday.

I hope Sundin plays Saturday against the Sens because if so we're going! :hyper:

The Islanders are debuting their new phenom Okposo tonight. :happy: I saw him play in Bridgeport a couple of weeks ago, and MAAAAAAAANNNN, :uhoh: he sure can stand around. We've been needed a new stand arounder, so I'm looking forward to it.

:(

ESPN showing that goal Toskala gave up repeatedly. They need to stop. I've given up one of those before and it's near the shittiest feeling you can have. At least they won the game, which takes the sting off a bit.

I still say Toskala is a decent goalie, he's way more consistent than Raycroft and if he had a better defense in front of him they probably wouldn't be in this situation right now...

Other than Sundin he is the only other player out there who actually looks like he cares most nights.

Yeah I think he's a good keeper honestly. I'm not sure what's going on with TO anyway, it seems like they ought to be a better club than they are.

All Leafs fans have been saying that for decades :giggle:

We don't know why they continue to be crap, they just are and yet we still follow them.

What the hell happened to Ottawa? Yeesh and Montreal are playing way too damn good.

Go Whalers! :giggle:

angelordevil said:

:lol: God, YouTube is damn cruel sometimes.

I remember seeing that live and absolutely flipping out at how huge an upset that was...Belarus over Sweden in the Olympic quarter-finals?! :ohmy: Belarus' goalie (whose name escapes me right now) played a lights-out game against a team with the likes of Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, and the Sedin twins.

The best part was that the winner played Canada in the semis, so instead of playing a strong (at least until that game) Swedish team, we got to play Belarus. The game was played at 2:00 pm when school was in, so the principal put a radio tuned to the CBC up to the PA mic and broadcast the game into every classroom until school let out in the 2nd period. Canada won something like 7-1, then won the gold in the next game. :up::up:

EDIT: I also read somewhere that Belarus was so sure of losing to Sweden that they had already booked their flights home that night and packed their luggage, then had to cancel everything, unpack, and pack again the next day after the semis :lol:

Last edited:
That Sweden team was loaded, really amazing that they lost. If you think about it that's probably as big an upset as the '80 miracle game, but doesn't get the attention because it's Belarus over Sweden rather than USA over USSR. Wasn't Salo on the Sweden team that beat Canada on that Forsberg shootout goal? I can't remember but I think he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom