The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty LaPointe :drool:

Oh, sorry, guys. :wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Adam Foote has apparently been traded back to Colorado by the Blue Jackets as well for a conditional first round pick...

Hmm, McCarty's back with the Wings... All we need is Roy to come out of retirement and can we say "it's the good old days" all over again? :hmm:

I miss those days. Good times.

Matt Cooke is traded from the Canucks for Matt Pettinger of the Capitals. Have never heard of him before. Cooke was one of my favourite Canucks, so I'm not too happy about that. :sad:

But then again, I know nothing about a lot of the players outside of the Canucks, so it could be a good trade. :shrug: I just hope that we make some good deals in the next half hour.

Here's one good thing:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded defenceman Hal Gill to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a second-round and fifth round pick.

Gill, 32, signed a $6.3 million, three-year contract with the Maple Leafs in 2006.

He has 20 points in 63 games with Toronto this season, and 27 goals, 137 points and 731 penalty minutes in 771 career NHL games with the Leafs and Boston Bruins

The Pittsburgh Penguins' offence just got that much more lethal.

The Atlanta Thrashers have traded sniper Marian Hossa and winger Pascal Dupuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospect Angelo Esposito, forwards Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen and a first-round pick.

With the Thrashers unable to sign the potential unrestricted free agent to a long-term deal, general manager Don Waddell decided to get something for the 29-year-old forward before he walked away for nothing at season's end.

The five-time All-Star, who has 26 goals and 56 points in 60 games this season, has played at nearly a point-per-game pace since entering the league on a full-time basis in 1998-99.

In the better part of three seasons in Atlanta, Hossa has averaged in the neighbourhood of 40 goals and 90 points.

Despite his regular season heroics, critics point to his lack of production in the playoffs, scoring just 13 goals and 35 points in 55 post-season games

looks like Dallas, Washington and Pittsburg are the big movers today...

This one I find kind of surprising:

The Minnesota Wild added lots of toughness on Tuesday, acquiring Chris Simon from the New York Islanders for a sixth-round draft pick.

Simon has been limited to 28 games this season after serving a 30-game ban for stomping on the leg of Pittsburgh's Jarkko Ruutu in December at Nassau Coliseum.

He joins a rugged core of Wild forwards that also includes Todd Fedoruk and Derek Boogaard.

I had thought no one would want to touch Simon with his history...

Well, colour me disappointed. The Canadiens went from possibly getting not one, but two so-called impact players to none at all. A second round pick in 2009 for Huet? Supposedly 2008 is a deep draft year, so that would have been a little easier to swallow. :down:

Could be worse BoMac:

The Toronto Maple Leafs traded forward Chad Kilger to the Florida Panthers on Tuesday for a third round draft pick.

Kilger, 31, has 10 goals and 17 points in 53 games this season.

In 714 career NHL games with Toronto, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Phoenix, Chicago and Montreal, Kilger has 218 points and 373 penalty minutes.

Kilger was originally selected fourth overall by Anaheim in the 1995 draft.

There is still way to much dead weight left :tsk:

elevated_u2_fan said:
This one I find kind of surprising:

I had thought no one would want to touch Simon with his history...

They also took Sean Hill after his whole steroids thing.

Isles dropped Bergeron for a pick too. To the Ducks. Bergeron is NOT a duck. But he skates like one. And his shot is great for any team trying to improve their power play.

No we're not okay, given the fact that the Habs will presumably make the playoffs, and this with an inexperienced 20-year-old rookie in Carey Price, and a 22-year-old backup in Jaroslav Halak.

I think they were worried about Huet's impending free-agency, but in my opinion they should have dealt Michael Ryder and not Huet, because goaltending is paramount in the playoffs.

Fucking Habs front office. Stupid fingpos' bastards. Come on! WTF? We go through this same shit every goddamn year. Fuck, man. FUCK! Ugh. We should have gotten Hossa. I'm so friggin tired of this. 20 YEARS OLD! We're battling for first place, man.

BonoManiac said:
...in my opinion they should have dealt Michael Ryder and not Huet, because goaltending is paramount in the playoffs.

He's from close to where I live, so I'm glad he stayed put...for selfish reasons. :wink:

UberBeaver said:
...I'm so friggin tired of this. 20 YEARS OLD! We're battling for first place, man.

drydenklj6.gif

newspricemtlox0.jpg

:hmm:

ThoraSEB said:
Matt Cooke is traded from the Canucks for Matt Pettinger of the Capitals. Have never heard of him before. Cooke was one of my favourite Canucks, so I'm not too happy about that. :sad:

But then again, I know nothing about a lot of the players outside of the Canucks, so it could be a good trade. :shrug: I just hope that we make some good deals in the next half hour.

I really don't understand why a fan favourite who was consistent in his scoring was traded away for a player who has less points, less experience, and doesn't have much potential to get any better. At least a draft pick or two would have been nice.

Seems like a step backwards to me, and when a team is fighting for a playoff spot, it really is worrying and maybe points to problems in the locker room.

angelordevil said:

He's from close to where I live, so I'm glad he stayed put...for selfish reasons. :wink:

drydenklj6.gif

newspricemtlox0.jpg

:hmm:

So it's happened not once, but twice with the Canadiens that a rookie goaltender won the Cup for them. It doesn't mean it's going to happen everytime. Moreover, comparing Price to Ken Dryden or even Patrick Roy at this stage of his career is a tad premature.

Awesome, well we didn't quite manage to heap ALL the pressure onto Price in the first half of the season...glad that's been fixed.

The pressure of the Montreal media and the fans and all the retard negativity that goes with being a big name in this city will either destroy Price's career, or he'll win us the Cup.

:huh:

BonoManiac said:

Patrick Roy

roysd9.gif

Sorry to leave you out, Patrick!

I think this was the famous save he made on Sandstrom in the '93 finals...but I could be wrong about that.

Comparing is premature, but it's a whole lot of fun. :wink:

Also, the Gainey-factor can't be overlooked--he's been involved in the careers of all three.

DaveC said:

I really don't understand why a fan favourite who was consistent in his scoring was traded away for a player who has less points, less experience, and doesn't have much potential to get any better. At least a draft pick or two would have been nice.

Seems like a step backwards to me, and when a team is fighting for a playoff spot, it really is worrying and maybe points to problems in the locker room.

Well said. I briefly looked over Pettinger's stats and came to the same conclusions as you.

Very frustrating. As one of my co-workers said earlier, Pettinger is going to be the most hated Canuck for a while.

Hope the Habs enjoyed the playoff run while it lasted! :happy: :rolleyes:
(well, they won't make it past the first round if they do qualify)

Huet for a second-round draft pick? Is this a joke?!? Hal Gill got more in exchange than Huet! Okay, Huet hasn't been fantastic these past few weeks but I personally think he's proved himself throughout the year.

Is Gainey still drunk from his big night on Saturday or somethin'?? :hmm:

Un-frickin'-believable.

Souray used to be my fave and they traded him, then Huet became my fave and they traded him. Anyone you'd like to see traded b/c I'll ensure he becomes my fave!

ladywithspinninghead said:

Souray used to be my fave and they traded him, then Huet became my fave and they traded him. Anyone you'd like to see traded b/c I'll ensure he becomes my fave!

Souray wasn't traded, he signed with Edmonton as a free agent. The Laughs got more for Hal Gill, I think, because he's still under contract, while Huet is an unrestricted free agent.

BonoManiac said:

Souray wasn't traded, he signed with Edmonton as a free agent. The Laughs got more for Hal Gill, I think, because he's still under contract, while Huet is an unrestricted free agent.

Oops, sorry, yeah, forgot about Souray, he left last summer.

I've calmed down now. And so far tonight Carey Price is proving me wrong :reject:

But who knows how long that will last :shrug:

Last edited:
Souray, Gill, and Huet...players either past their prime, or highly overrated. Just saying. :wink:

Pittsburgh were clearly the smartest team today for getting Hossa.

angelordevil said:
Souray, Gill, and Huet...players either past their prime, or highly overrated. Just saying. :wink:

Pittsburgh were clearly the smartest team today for getting Hossa.

I dunno, I think Huet was def worth more than a second-round draft pick. And he, at least, has playoff experience.
If the Habs aren't thinking about going far this year , then perhaps it will to their benefit in the long-term.
My father, a Habs fanatic, seems to think they're making cap space in ordre to acquire Lecavalier...Apparently, he recently wrote up a list of teams he'd play for and Montreal was at the top.

Def. agree about Pittsburgh, they're the team to watch :up:

My father, a Habs fanatic, seems to think they're making cap space in ordre to acquire Lecavalier...

I've never thought about that! :hmm: Lecavalier could absolutely thrive in Montreal. If he's not the best player in the league right now, he's damn close. He really reminds me of Gretzky at times.

I know! It'd be so :drool:

I did some research and just found this from a few weeks ago:

If the Lightning let Lecavalier finish out his contract and let him become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 of 2009, speculation is that the Montreal Canadiens may offer him between $72-$75 million over seven years.

(The only good thing about the Habs scoring so often tonight is that I get to hear Vertigo repeatedly! lol)

I know! It'd be so :drool:

I did some research and just found this from a few weeks ago:

If the Lightning let Lecavalier finish out his contract and let him become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 of 2009, speculation is that the Montreal Canadiens may offer him between $72-$75 million over seven years.

Good research! (I was actually wondering about the logistics of acquiring him as I was folding my laundry.) :nerd: Imagine the amount of poutine he could buy with that kind of money. If Ryder was still around, I could see him and Lecavalier playing well together on a line.

They are scoring a lot tonight...I wonder if Atlanta is deflated after losing such a key player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom