The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, horrible effort tonight from my Sabres. Bunch of chokers. They do not deserve to make the playoffs.

LOL, from tsn:

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded forward Wade Belak to the Florida Panthers for a 2008 fifth round pick.

The 6-foot-5, 221-pound forward has one goal and 66 penalty minutes in 30 games this season, his seventh with the Leafs.

A career enforcer, he has eight goals, 29 points and 1,096 penalty minutes in 425 career NHL games.

Last edited:
Here's a bigger one:

Unable to sign their potential unrestricted free agent to a long-term deal, the Buffalo Sabres have traded defenceman Brian Campbell to the San Jose Sharks.

There are no details yet on who comes to Buffalo in return.

The Sabres decided to get something for Campbell before he walked away for nothing at season's end. In January, Campbell told the Sabres he would not negotiate with the team for the rest of the season.

It's likely the Sabres wanted to avoid what happened last summer with Daniel Briere and Chris Drury. Both standouts decided to test the free agent market last season and left for lucrative deals. Briere signed an eight-year contract worth $52 million with the Philadelphia Flyers while Drury signed a seven-year deal worth $51.5 million with the New York Rangers.

In the 2005-06 season, Campbell's offensive skills began to take flight, scoring 44 points in 79 games. Last season, he picked up 48 points but showed the most improvement in own zone, finishing the year at +28.

Campbell, who is earning just $1.75 million, has five goals and 43 points in 63 games this season.

That's gotta hurt for Buffalo, he was one of their stronger players...

So, Darren McCarty's coming back to the Wings. Well, that really has yet to be determined, but hopefully he's got his shit back together enough to make a real go of it and break back into the NHL again.

He's been through hell and back the last few years, and who knows if he'll even come close to being the force he once was, but maybe being back in Detroit will be good for him.

poor mario lemuiex :sad:

zamboni.jpg

he will be missed.

Here's a big one:

After much speculation, the Tampa Bay Lightning have agreed to trade one of their 'Big Three' forwards, sending centre Brad Richards and goaltender Johan Holmqvist to the Dallas Stars for goalie Mike Smith, centre Jeff Halpern and winger Jussi Jokinen.

Richards, who makes $7.8 million a season through the 2010-11 camapaign, waived his no-trade clause for the deal to go through. He signed a five-year, $39 million contract in 2006, with his average annual salary more than twice the $3.4 million he made in his previous deal.

Richards has 18 goals and 50 points in 61 games this season.

In 551 career NHL games, the 27-year-old centre has 150 goals and is the Lightning's career assists leader with 338. He had a career-high 91 points in 2005-06.

More to follow.

Man, Dallas is already a powerhouse and now this?

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:
April, what's up with the Wings lately, they seem to be in a bit of a "Leaf-like" slump there... :wink:

I don't know. :sad:

I don't get it. Part of me wants to blame Lidstrom's injury, but they had that six game winless streak before he got hurt, so I really have no explanation.

As long as they get it together before April. :pray:

The Montreal Canadiens have traded goaltender Cristobal Huet to the Washington Capitals for a second-round draft pick.

Huet, 32, has a 21-12-6 record and 2.56 goals-against average this season with a .916 save percentage.

With Huet dealt, the Canadiens have turned to 20-year-old Carey Price as their third starting goaltender in as many seasons. Ironically, Huet became the team's new starter in 2006, when general manager Bob Gainey dealt former Hart and Vezina Trophy winner Jose Theodore to Colorado on the eve of the trading deadline.

Huet is in the final year of a two-year contract and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

I havent been paying attention what happened to Hassek and backup dude?

I believe Hasek went down with a groin injury (or so I'm guessing - seems to be a popular goalie injury and he's had tons of them before) and Osgood is simply sucking ass.

Might be time to pay attention to sping training - wait, scratch that. I will never, ever be that bored or disenchanted with hockey.

The Ottawa Senators added some more grit to their lineup, acquiring winger Martin Lapointe from the Chicago Blackhawks for a 2008 sixth-round pick.

Lapointe, 34, was signed to a three-year, $7.2 million contract by the Hawks in 2005 and becomes an unrestricted free agent this season.

The two-time Stanley Cup winner, who has also played for the Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings, has seven points and 47 penalty minutes in 52 games this season.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have traded centre Sergei Fedorov to the Washington Capitals for blueline prospect Theo Ruth.

Fedorov is in the final year of a five-year, $40 million contract and will become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

He has 469 goals and 663 assists in 17 seasons in the NHL.

The speedy Russian had a career-high 56 goals and 120 points for the Detroit Red Wings in 1993-94, when he won the Hart Trophy as the league's MVP.

More to follow.

looks like Washington is making a run for it...

Anybody have any idea who Theo Ruth is? :huh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom