The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe the Leafs actually WON in OT Saturday. I always expect that they'll let me down.

CBC had the Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto game all on at the same time. Lots 'o channel flipping. And Don Cherry was rather amusing. I actually agreed with him for a change!

Good game today between Dallas and Detroit. 6 game losing streak now for the Red Wings. Hoping that continues.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'd like to have a word with elfa and Beav tomorrow morning.

kthx. :mad:

The Wings are using the "let's lose 6 straight" gambit. A bold strategy indeed. Isles went one step further for 7, but they live on the fuckin edge. And now they're on the "let's win 3 in a row and set a franchise record for fewest shots allowed" plan. I wonder what they'll think of next.

UberBeaver said:

The Wings are using the "let's lose 6 straight" gambit. A bold strategy indeed. Isles went one step further for 7, but they live on the fuckin edge. And now they're on the "let's win 3 in a row and set a franchise record for fewest shots allowed" plan. I wonder what they'll think of next.

Whew. They finally won last night.

But now Lidstrom's hurt. :scream:

If I wasn't a big Habs fan yesterday, I sure am today. That is awesome. Stupid Rangers..LOL PWND! That's bad karma for bringing in Sean Avery - what a tool he is. I loved when Jagr hit him in the face.

BonoManiac said:
Wow, what a game!!!!!!!!!

Game of the year. I was on the edge of my seat the entire third period. And the fans? They never stopped cheering, even with the team down 5-0.

:yippie::bow: :dance: :dance: :dance: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Were you there?

UberBeaver said:
Sundin as a Canadien???? Rumors rumors rumors. I think that would be kinda awesome though.

I don't know about Sundin. It would have to be a three-way trade because I think there's no way that Toronto would make such a huge deal with Montreal, or vice versa.

Canadiens targeting an 'impact player'

TSN.ca Staff
2/20/2008 9:34:43 AM

If there is a big player to be found at the NHL general managers' meetings, it could be Bob Gainey.

While the Montreal Canadiens' general manager has long been known as an executive who keeps his cards close to his chest, the team is rumoured to be targeting as many as three high-impact players going into next Tuesday's trade deadline.

Calgary Flames forward Alex Tanguay - who has the all-familiar no-trade clause - has been downplaying trade speculation for much of this season.

But as Deadline Day approaches, there is reason to believe he might get moved. And once again, the Canadiens are rumoured to be the target as Gainey admitted Tuesday he's in the market for an offensive boost.

"We have flexibility," he told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. "We have players young enough that they can go back and forth from the AHL to the NHL, so we'd be looking at the opportunity for a specific player, whether that comes by or not."

When asked what type of player he would be looking for, Gainey replied, "like an impact player."

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Tanguay - who could go to the Canadiens for forward Michael Ryder and a draft pick - is one of a few other players Gainey is pushing for. The other two are Atlanta's Marian Hossa and, interestingly enough, Toronto's Mats Sundin.

"If I was to pick one general manager who is looking to make the biggest splash between now and the deadline and vault his team into true contender status, it would be Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens," said McKenzie.

The Flames have also shown interest in all of the big name players, including Sundin and Florida Panthers centre Olli Jokinen.

"The difference between good and great is that top player or that top hole or whatever you want to call it," Flames general manager Darryl Sutter said Tuesday.

"I think everybody's looking for that same thing."

Vancouver Canucks general manager Dave Nonis is also trying to add a scoring forward and perhaps, a defenceman to offset injury issues on the blueline. But based on the conversations that he's been having, Nonis is not confident he'll find the right fit because he can't overpay for such help.

"We're not deep enough to throw out quality young players from our team into deals for rental players," he said. "Would we move them for other young players under contract? We would do that. We would move for older players under contract. But we're not in a position to move our younger players for guys who might not be here next year."

Toronto's Cliff Fletcher says he's gathering information this week and won't be making his deals in Florida, although humourously, he says there have been offers.

"There have been a few rowboats offered for a battleship," he told reporters with a smile. "But seriously, it's all preliminary negotiations. As I used to say when I was in Toronto before, ask me if it's in the front burner or back burner and there's nothing on the front burner right now."

Man what a game...

Penns in Montreal tomorrow night, also. What a week for Habs fans :up:

I love Sundin so I'd love to see him play for the Habs :up:
Or anywhere where he has a chance at the Cup as he clearly deserves it.

But would Montreal really be willing to give up a few good players for a rental?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom