The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ My buddy (Rangers fan) used to call him "HacksTall" because of all the stick swinging he got into.

Potvin & Roy, 2 other fun guys to watch. I played goal growing up so my favorites were always the goaltenders...Pelle Lindbergh, Mike Liut, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr. But along came Hextall...wow. Here was a goalie who could pass & shoot the puck, which we never got to do, and who got into the physical stuff which again we goalies didn't do. Yeah there were guys before him who handled the puck to one degree or another (Fuhr, Barrasso, even Smith & Cheevers a little), but Hexy was on a whole other level. Marty Brodeur does it a bit now, can't think of anybody else.

I also loved Kevin Dineen. I wonder what kind of career Kevin could have had if not for some injuries and illness that really limited what he ended up doing. Hell of a fun guy to watch in his prime though.

CTU2fan said:
^ My buddy (Rangers fan) used to call him "HacksTall" because of all the stick swinging he got into.

Potvin & Roy, 2 other fun guys to watch. I played goal growing up so my favorites were always the goaltenders...Pelle Lindbergh, Mike Liut, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr. But along came Hextall...wow. Here was a goalie who could pass & shoot the puck, which we never got to do, and who got into the physical stuff which again we goalies didn't do. Yeah there were guys before him who handled the puck to one degree or another (Fuhr, Barrasso, even Smith & Cheevers a little), but Hexy was on a whole other level. Marty Brodeur does it a bit now, can't think of anybody else.

I also loved Kevin Dineen. I wonder what kind of career Kevin could have had if not for some injuries and illness that really limited what he ended up doing. Hell of a fun guy to watch in his prime though.

I forgot all about Tom Barrasso. I really liked him, too. Got really excited when the Leafs signed him, but he shit a brick in Toronto. This was right around when I began to lose interest in hockey, too...:hmm:

Great game going on right now in Buffalo. Flyers 2, Sabres 2 with 3 min left in the third, back and forth action.

Yep, just watched the end of that. I think I jinxed it...was watching the Celtics, then switched over to Philly and boom, Hecht scores.

Getting Flames/Dallas now, looks interesting early.

Yeah, I'm watching that game now too...do you guys get TSN where you are? :scratch:

I love this...now that I actually have a team to follow, I just can't get enough of hockey. Last night I stayed up until 4 am just to catch the late highlights :drool:

When I was in my teens, nothing was better than the NHL playoffs.....especially early rounds....you'd get home late, and flip the TV on and some crazy Western Conference playoff game would be in 2OT at 1am or something, and you'd be riveted....I still love the NHL playoffs, but back in the day I liked it even better....

No spoken words said:
When I was in my teens, nothing was better than the NHL playoffs.....especially early rounds....you'd get home late, and flip the TV on and some crazy Western Conference playoff game would be in 2OT at 1am or something, and you'd be riveted....I still love the NHL playoffs, but back in the day I liked it even better....

:yes:

I would be told to go to bed in the 2nd intermission (when I was little), then wait until my parents went to bed and sneak out to watch the rest of the game and the late game too. I remember watching the '99 (?) Game Six at about 3 am (the "no goal" game), and realizing that it was the latest I'd ever stayed up. I was the only kid at school that was awake all the way until the end.

DaveC said:
Yeah, I'm watching that game now too...do you guys get TSN where you are? :scratch:

I love this...now that I actually have a team to follow, I just can't get enough of hockey. Last night I stayed up until 4 am just to catch the late highlights :drool:

I was getting the TSN feed via sopcast. It's all I get down here except Lightning games.

Yeah I totally agree about the playoff games. I stayed up late in '87 to watch the Flyers & Oilers in the finals, great except the way it ended :( I also stayed up through the entire Isles/Caps 4OT game that LaFontaine ended. There was another long one last year or the year before that I saw, forget who played though.

CTU2fan said:

I was getting the TSN feed via sopcast. It's all I get down here except Lightning games.

Yeah I totally agree about the playoff games. I stayed up late in '87 to watch the Flyers & Oilers in the finals, great except the way it ended :( I also stayed up through the entire Isles/Caps 4OT game that LaFontaine ended. There was another long one last year or the year before that I saw, forget who played though.

I remember that Isles/Caps game vividly. Watched at a buddy's place....my Dad was supposed to come pick me up when the game was over, but I ended up just sleeping over. I was so bummed when LaFontaine got dealt, but, Turgeon had some good years so it was not all bad. Fucking Dale Hunter. Sorry.

ETA - Didn't Hrudey have like 70 saves in that game???

Last edited:
:drool: i will attend 7 Dallas stars home games this season( saturday the first one )

I am looking forward to the Detroit Red wings game especialy,...they are the team to beat in the western conference this year.

tpsreports2424 said:
Okay its official, im back into hockey... going to 18 hours 3 days from wednesday til friday to refresh on whats up..

what channels can you get hockey on?

And has there been recently any good fights? like goalies coming out of there nets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2xMXXOw4M
:drool: :drool: :drool:

If you get VS you get 2 games a week I think. I watch a lot of game streams, if you want to check that out go here:

http://www.myp2p.eu/Introduction.htm

You'll need software (sopcast is the one most get, as more games seem to be on sopcast than anything else)...and then click on live sports and see what's on. All sports, not just hockey...

^ Hey, CTU2fan, refresh my memory. Wasn't there a long OT playoff game between the Habs and the Whalers way back when? I believe the Habs won, but that was one of my favourite OT games.

And of course, who can forget the Habs winning 10 straight OT games in 1993 to win the Stanley Cup? That will be a VERY tough record to beat.

BonoManiac said:
^ Hey, CTU2fan, refresh my memory. Wasn't there a long OT playoff game between the Habs and the Whalers way back when? I believe the Habs won, but that was one of my favourite OT games.

And of course, who can forget the Habs winning 10 straight OT games in 1993 to win the Stanley Cup? That will be a VERY tough record to beat.

They played a 2OT game 7 in 1992 that Russ Courtnall won on a long one through traffic that I still can't believe got through everyone. In the 1st OT Yvon Corriveau had a breakaway and beat Roy cleanly, but hit the crossbar I believe. That was a series where the home team won every game, and if I remember right 2 or 3 of the games in Hartford went to OT.

That 93 run was impressive...lots of John LeClair and Kirk Muller moments that year.

DaveC said:

Yeah I've been watching games like crazy. Including the Celtics broadcast in Chinese :)

CTU2fan said:

They played a 2OT game 7 in 1992 that Russ Courtnall won on a long one through traffic that I still can't believe got through everyone. In the 1st OT Yvon Corriveau had a breakaway and beat Roy cleanly, but hit the crossbar I believe. That was a series where the home team won every game, and if I remember right 2 or 3 of the games in Hartford went to OT.

That 93 run was impressive...lots of John LeClair and Kirk Muller moments that year.

Oh yes, I remember now! When that shot hit the crossbar my heart skipped a beat. Great game.

That was an interesting series. Hartford had one of the league's worst records, but Quebec was even worse so they made the playoffs. A series win would have been a real shocker, with the immortal Peter Sidorkiewicz and Kay Whitmore playing goal vs. Patrick Roy. Talk about a mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom