The 2007-08 NHL Hockey thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall some ish about Ted Nolan being blackballed around the league for years, not sure why...maybe because he nailed somebody's old lady?

And did it ever come out, what Leafs player that Alanis song was about?

^ I never once heard that he was blackballed because of any illicit behaviour. The story went that he was blacklisted by then Buffalo GM John Muckler for some unspecified reason. Conventional wisdom among some in the media had Nolan somehow going above Muckler's head, possibly all the way to ownership on some issue or other.

And are you refering to You Oughta Know from Alanis? I had heard that it was about Dave Coulier of Full House fame, who dated Alanis for a while.

CTU2fan said:
I seem to recall some ish about Ted Nolan being blackballed around the league for years, not sure why...maybe because he nailed somebody's old lady?

And did it ever come out, what Leafs player that Alanis song was about?

If every player/coach who ever fooled around with another player/coach's wife got blackballed, there'd be a lot of sparse teams, I bet. Or maybe not. :shifty:

I think there was a similar story a few years back involving two Leaf's players, maybe elfa can confirm. I also heard that Brendan Shanahan "stole" his best buddy (at the time) Craig Janney's wife (who he's now married to with twin boys).

BonoManiac said:
^ I never once heard that he was blackballed because of any illicit behaviour. The story went that he was blacklisted by then Buffalo GM John Muckler for some unspecified reason. Conventional wisdom among some in the media had Nolan somehow going above Muckler's head, possibly all the way to ownership on some issue or other.

And are you refering to You Oughta Know from Alanis? I had heard that it was about Dave Coulier of Full House fame, who dated Alanis for a while.

Yea I think you're right (re: Nolan). I think it was something to the effect of him going over Muckler's head but I think/thought there was more to it...or maybe just Muckler's stature around the league (from his Edmonton days). No I didn't think it was anything illicit, I was kind of joking about that bit.

And yeah that was the song I was thinking of...I'd heard rumors it was Felix Potvin, but I suppose it could have been Coulier. Wow, Full House, there's a blast from the past.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

If every player/coach who ever fooled around with another player/coach's wife got blackballed, there'd be a lot of sparse teams, I bet. Or maybe not. :shifty:

I think there was a similar story a few years back involving two Leaf's players, maybe elfa can confirm. I also heard that Brendan Shanahan "stole" his best buddy (at the time) Craig Janney's wife (who he's now married to with twin boys).

Might have been Darcy Tucker :wink: since everyone seems to hate him anyway.

And I do remember the Shanny/Janney thing.

Lots of bitter ex-Whaler fans from my neck of the woods, who love dishing dirt on Shanahan. I never really blamed the guy for wanting out, I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall.

I even still have his jersey.

Anchor on Sportsnet Connected tonight: "The Oilers are 9 and oh in shootouts this season! That's like...9 extra points!"

:crack:

Who'd you pick? The wonders of the internet, I can watch the Flyers now, helping me get back on board.

Yeah, I think so. I had to support a Canadian team, and I couldn't recall a time where I'd ever rooted against Vancouver, for anything. I like the team, they're good but not so good that it would feel like I was bandwagon-jumping.

Only problem is the games are all on insanely late :yawn:

DaveC said:
Only problem is the games are all on insanely late :yawn:

Very true. They have had a couple bad uniforms through the years...not now though.

It's funny, when the Whalers left people kept telling me, "why don't you follow the Bruins? You like the other Boston teams" and I was like, um, they were our hated rival forever, their fans invaded our building and made every Hartford/Boston game a nightmare...and I'm gonna cheer for them? Not to mention the organization is lousy. So Flyers it is...and of course they lost tonight, to the damn Hurricanes :(

Habs win two in a row, and tonight against the Leafs. :applaud:

Bryan McCabe out for 6-8 weeks with a broken hand.

And it's about time that Chris Simon is thrown out for good. Tonight he actually intentionally stomped on someone's foot while he was on his way onto the bench. The player seemed okay, but had Simon placed his skate a few inches higher it could have been much, much worse. Incidents like this only help to sully the game and should be strongly discouraged.

^ Haha. Yeah I was in a league last year, got invited by my fantasy baseball commish (not his league). Well I won and they didn't invite me back...Bruins fans :(

And yeah, Simon is a classic cementhead. Did he really step on the guy's hand on purpose? That's pretty low. Remember when Clint Malarchuk got his throat cut (accidentally) by a skate? Scariest injury I've ever seen. He said if he'd been in the net at the far end of the ice he'd have likely bled to death right there.

CTU2fan said:
And yeah, Simon is a classic cementhead. Did he really step on the guy's hand on purpose? That's pretty low. Remember when Clint Malarchuk got his throat cut (accidentally) by a skate? Scariest injury I've ever seen. He said if he'd been in the net at the far end of the ice he'd have likely bled to death right there.

Well, it looked like the Penguins player was lying on the ice, and as Simon was getting on his bench he stomped on the Penguins' player's foot.

I remember the Malarchuk incident well. Goalies started to wear neck flaps after that, but there are still many that leave their throat unprotected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom