The 2006 Mercury Music Prize - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #16
Local Time: 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Anyone else think the Arctic Monkeys are ridiculously overhyped?

I think the title of their album is ridiculously pretentious. Also, what I've heard from the album is really overrated crud.

I don't put much stock in reviews from NME, within 1-2 years they'll probably be ragging on the Arctic Monkeys!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:12 PM
The guys enerve me a lot...
And it's unbelievable how desperate the british press seem trying to get a new british invasion or trying to recreate the hype of The Beatles/Rolling Stones, that failled 10 years ago with Oasis/Blur...

Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #18
Blue Meth Addict
Local Time: 02:12 PM
I like the Arctic Monkeys, but they got next to no press or hype in the US. I'm not saying they're great, but they're fun and listenable. Quite honestly, every other year the UK is trying to hype one of their own acts up as the greatest band of our generation. For the most part, no one in the US ever seems to listen. Even Oasis didn't hit it big in the US (I know a lot of people will try to argue with me about this, but it's still true). Simply said, British press over hypes everything and anything British and new (and probably underhypes their actual talented and long lasting groups who have a world wide fan base). Take any British press hype with a grain of salt, because you probably won't hear about 80% of the bands in a year or two's time.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #19
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Yeah what mofo said. I find it quite ironic people talk about British press hype shoving them down their throats though. How many people actually read, let alone buy, the NME nowadays?

Either way I feel it's an impression that just because a band is hyped up by the music press it means they're automatically lousy. Arctic Monkeys are hardly the best British band ever but they're still able to put out fun, listenable tunes and that's enough. I'm willing to bet more people would share this opinion if, say, they were given as much press as Cast or Gomez or Ocean bloody Colour Scene.