The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #181
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Well, we have sent Rod Marsh to England in the past and now Greg Chappell is in India. In some instances it's a cultural thing more than anything - afterall, England's number one obsession in sport is football (soccer), as is Rugby in New Zealand. Cricket appears to be something that you play in those countries if you can't or don't want to play the other sport/s.

Countries such as India, and in the past the West Indies, that prioritise cricket as their number one sport, don't always have the financial capital to invest in their players, or the population of new players coming up in the ranks to forge a decent competition.

I think Australia does do bits and bobs to promote competition - even just playing competitively and, for example, declaring in time for a result, "teaches" the opposing team - but it comes down to us having the "cultural capital" - i.e the players coming up through the ranks, and Australia promoting cricket as a valued and accessible sport to our ten-year-olds, which I don't think happens in all other cricketing nations.

The One Day Series could well invite the competition you crave, Anna, as New Zealand have a mighty fine one-day team, and have often provided healthy, nail-biting finishes to their games with Australia! I fear that England will struggle, however....

Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shika
afterall, England's number one obsession in sport is football (soccer),
And after all the beauty of football is its simplicity. All you need to play it with your mates when you're young is a ball and something like jumpers to mark out goals. The only rule you really need to understand then is that you have to kick it into the other team's goal.

Cricket on the other hand- you need cricket bats, a ball, wickets (wheelie bins are always popular substitutes but it's never the same) and a HECK of a lot of space (unless you want to break next door's greenhouse... ). The rules of the game are also more complicated than football.

It just lacks the convenience of football and so fewer people tend to play it when they're younger which in turn means fewer adults play it.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #183
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Yeah, agreed. Pele kicked cans around on his street. I used to play barefoot with a cheap plastic ball...we'd use our footwear as goalposts. Fun times.

Cricket took me ages to understand, and if not for the excitement of last year's series, a lot of reading and playing Stick Cricket and Anna and Salome's talk about it over the years on this very board I'd never have liked it.

I've tried explaining it to a few of my friends. Safe to say they don't get it. That said I've had a few fun games in school with one bat, a tennis ball, and a set of 'stumps' created from some upturned stools. Granted we simplified the game to a 'bowl and hit the ball as far as possible' kind of thing so all that complicated stuff about running between the wickets and getting stumped and all was rendered kinda moot.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #184
Acrobat

And now, perhaps not surprisingly, Justin Langer has announced his retirement, effective after the Sydney Test. There won't be a dry eye at the SCG, this week.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

And Australia will have no Test Team left after the Sydney test!....its really the end of an era.

You wouldnt Expect Gilly to be around for more than 1-2(at best) seasons either.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 AM   #186
Refugee

I hear a rumour that a 6th test in going to be squeeze in on what should be the 3rd,4th, 5th days of the 5th test.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #187
Acrobat

Rain, rain, rain in Sydney - there may be no 5th Test.

Just catching the ferry now to go over to the SCG, though it's going to be a day of waiting around and watching those Super Soppers, me fears. Look for me in the stylish poncho!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #188
Refugee

234/4. Close of day 1 and we're not out of it. That's got to be progress.

And I've found the secret to avoiding a 5-0 defeat. For the first time I stayed up to watch some cricket and we managed to do 'okay' until tea. I 'nod-off' and we lose two quick wickets and a full collapse would normally the be routine. But I wake up and we turn it round again.

I'm staying up again.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE 5-0!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

Mate at the rate time is being lost I'm edging towards this being a drawn Test and thus a humiliating 5-0 whitewash is staved off for the less humiliating but still humiliating 4-0 defeat.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 AM   #190
Acrobat

Don't rule out a result for either team (but more likely Australia) yet... three days left and although more rain is forecast for tomorrow, it can still turn the game for a result. I'm out at the 'G tomorrow, Friday and Saturday and it's going to be fantastic watching both teams scrabble for their desired outcome. (whispers)"Go Aussies!"
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #191
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adrball
234/4.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE 5-0!!!!
Don't bet on it.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #192
you are what you is

maybe if it rains straight for the next 2 days a whitewash can be prevented

I know it might not be good for cricket to have the aussies dominating the game the way and for the lengthy period they have done,
but in these Ashes they have just been superior in all aspects of the game: technically, physically and mentally

no other outcome but a whitewash would be a fair result for this mismatch
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #193
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, it just goes from bad to worse, nevermind we've got the one-dayers to restore some pride.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

"You got an MBE right? For scoring seven at the Oval?" - Warne to Collingwood

Old 01-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #195
Acrobat

If all goes to plan, it'll be over by lunch-ish today, the 4th day. My skin can't take too much more of sitting in the sun all day...

It's a sad, but also celebratory, day for Australian cricket. Farewell, Warne, McGrath and Lil Langer.