The 2006 3 mobile Ashes Series Australia vs. England - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #151
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:20 PM
^ oh Adrian, that is wishful thinking, I fear! Let's see, Warne's first wicket in Melbourne will be his 700th Test wicket, so he is going to be on fire; Hayden and Langer must know that their days are numbered, so they will be determined and 'our' Pup seems to be coming into some serious, serious form. (And that's just for starters!)

Sorry You can't hold back a bunch of winning Aussies

Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmmm
Disappointing as the outcome is, there's no shame in losing to the best team in the world, I've said it before, & no doubt I'll say it again, but the Aussie cricket team must surely rank as the greatest SPORTS team ever, they've totally dominated the sport for as long as I can remember, & they don't seem to be showing any sign of faltering.
The Australian Cricket Team probably are something a bit special, I agree. Well done on regaining The Ashes Aussies and I'm only sorry that we didn't seem to put up any kind of resistance.

I'm also sorry that all you lot who are going to be at the fourth and fifth tests are going to be watching pointless cricket (believe me, I'm really, really, really sorry! )

Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #153
Refugee

I'm seriously pissed that I didn't back my 5-0 series defeat prediction with a decent wager.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 AM   #154
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Shane Warne has just announced he's going to retire fron international cricket at the end of the ashes.

I was just reading an article about him, they even slaughter us when it comes to mickey taking, & slating, after one England player taunted him about his rotund appearance, asking why he was so fat, quick as a flash Warne replied, "Its coz every time I shag yer Missus, she insists on giving me a biscuit."Absolute class!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Actually mate that was Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean chicken farmer (really) and tailender to Glenn McGrath.

Still funny though.

Anyway with regards to the Ashes I was really hoping for a competitive series but Australia were way too good and England were way too bad. Pity.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

McGrath is expected to retire as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

And now it's official.

For all the off-field stupidity he was truly a master of spin bowling, and by all accounts he was a very nice chap in terms of signing autographs and so on.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #158
Vocal parasite

This year has been a good year. First Ian Thorpe and now Shane Warne. Good riddance!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 AM   #159
Vocal parasite

But now Glenn McGrath has announced his retirement. I actually liked him.

Why couldn't some Aussie sportsperson I despise, such as Liesel Jones or Phil Waugh, retire instead?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #160
you are what you is

according to the lovely sportsforum on the bbc website the retirement of Warne and McGrath means that england will win the ashes the next 150 years

that their team hasn't been able to go through any match these ashes so far without having at least 1 day where they make the dutch cricket team look like potential world champions in comparison doesn't seem to discourage them
the fact that the impact Warne and McGrath have hardly had an impact these ashes also is hardly mentioned

it's a shame to say goodbye to 2 of the absolute greats of the team, but life goes on!
and I hope the thrashing of england will go on too
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome

that their team hasn't been able to go through any match these ashes so far without having at least 1 day where they make the dutch cricket team look like potential world champions in comparison doesn't seem to discourage them
Bit harsh, I think. There was the 551-6 on the first two days of Adelaide (admittedly on a good pitch) and the first day at Perth.

Besides, it's not just Warne and McGrath who are to depart, but also Langer, Hayden and Gilchrist are very unlikely to play in the next series.

The BBC 606 thingy is still one of the most horrible things I've seen though, in terms of interface, user-friendliness and design.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #162
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
Actually mate that was Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean chicken farmer (really) and tailender to Glenn McGrath.

Still funny though.

Anyway with regards to the Ashes I was really hoping for a competitive series but Australia were way too good and England were way too bad. Pity.
Hmm, all of a sudden it doesn't seem quite so funny, hope he didn't make the comment after McGrath's wife's illness was public knowledge.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #163
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle

Bit harsh, I think. There was the 551-6 on the first two days of Adelaide (admittedly on a good pitch) and the first day at Perth.
aye, then again in 2005 the thing where England nailed Aus was by eliminating poor sessions
these Ashes they've had sessions were the word 'poor' doesn't seem to suffice
it has been downright painful

Aus will become a less amazing team then they have been this last decade or so, but England will really need to improve themselves and focus on that instead on who's playing for the opposition
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-26-2006, 03:25 AM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

159? Jeez. Poor. Very, very, very poor.

Great for Warne to get to 700 though, absolute legend.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 AM   #165
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
but England will really need to improve themselves and focus on that instead on who's playing for the opposition
I think you have a relevant point there, that and a winning mentality, and to me that doesn't just apply to the England cricket team but English teams, & sport stars in general, a trawl down the sports archives of the last, say 50 years, look at any English success, in major sports events in that time, & God knows thats not a lot, but after any success there's been an almost immediate decline in that particular sport, last years ashes success, has been followed by, at best mediocre perfomances, The RU World Cup win seems to have set off an almost unstoppable decline in that sport, few boxers have ever managed to successfully defend their titles for any length of time, Joe Calzaghe being one of the few exceptions there, & the football team, well even the most ardent England fans are getting a bit tired of having to trot out references to '66. It's almost as if any success in any field, brings a feeling that they can't possibly go any higher, they've reached the ultimate, and can't go on any further, whereas,in particular, Aussie, & US sports stars seem to get to the top, take a deep breath & say, right thats the first part achieved, now lets stay at the very top and enjoy the view, the desire isn't just to get to the top, & be satisfied with that.

Just how I see it, might be wrong.