The 2004 Tour de France Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a bit of overload this weekend though.
- Euro 2004 final (Sunday evening)
- Wimbledon finals (Saturday & Sunday afternoon (barring rain))
- Tour de France (Saturday prologue, Sunday first leg)
- Formula 1 GP of France

:hmm:

That's about it.

To be honest though, I haven't paid much attention to it yet. I guess Wimbledon and Euro 2004 got most of my interest. Then again, it will go on for three weeks, so plenty of time left.

C ya!

Marty

armstrong00nike-1.jpg

"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?"

Lance for 6!

Last edited:
meegannie said:
Too much sport on TV. :crack:

And I want Neighbours back. :mad:

We don't have Neighbours in France, I wish we had, it seems great. What we have again and again is ER and Dawson's Creek ! ! !
But maybe that's for another thread ! :reject:

Marie

I've always had a lot of sympathy for Jan Ullrich
so I hope he'll at least give Armstrong a real fight this year

ER! :up:

If it means that to get rid of all those soap series (Neighbours, As The World Turns, Bold & Beautiful, etc.) there constantly has to be sport on TV, then I think that is a small sacrifice. :mac:

I like ER much but I've seen the episodes so many times...:sigh:
There's a new series coming next week : FBI.
Does someone know it ? Is that worth watching it ?

Back to the Tour ! Sorry for that interlude !

:angel:

Good start for Lance! Long way to go though.

Last edited:
Big thumbs up to Voeckler on keeping the yellow yesterday (Stage 13). You could tell he had a tough time getting up those mountains but he battled back to keep it for an extra 3 days. As much as I want Lance to win and wear the jersey I gotta give a big thumbs up to Voeckler. Mark my words. This guy will win the TDF someday (after some more training for climbs). :up:

I know absolutely nothing about cycling, but Lance is a hero of mine, and I'd just be crushed if any of those rumors turned out to be true.

I just don't believe them for a second :down:

:applaud:

Many expected Lance Armstrong to reclaim the yellow jersey on Tuesday, and that's exactly what he did. Armstrong won the 15th stage and assumed the overall lead at the Tour de France

Well it's more or less a given now unless Basso pulls something out of his ass or Lance breaks something on a fall that he's got it.

Knock on wood.

I have a stupid question-why are the spectators allowed on the course and so close to the cyclists? In some footage I've seen, there are no barricades and people are in the road, touching the cyclists, etc. Doesn't that annoy them/interfere w/ their riding?

yes. last year lance was riding close to the spectators and caught his bike on a womens purse/bag and he crashed.

Minus the risk of interference I think its awesome. As a competitor it would fire me up.

I agree.

It's also tradition as well. When you've got some events that hold such an insane tradition and spectacle there are somethings you won't (or can't) change.

Like if all of a sudden the Masters became an open and people were allowed to swill beer on the course. It just doesn't happen.

DiGi said:
yes. last year lance was riding close to the spectators and caught his bike on a womens purse/bag and he crashed.

Minus the risk of interference I think its awesome. As a competitor it would fire me up.

Do we, the blue crack, pose a risk? :eyebrow:

:sexywink:

More seriously, cycling has always been a sport for the people. Thus, the people have also access to it and the cyclists are among the people. Besides, it's almost impossible to barricade the whole track. Apparently, there were 500,000 people on L'Alpe d'Huez yesterday! :eek:
With this many people, I do think it's more of an annoyance, but in general I think the public is a great stimulus for the cyclists. Cycling up the mountain is extremely hard and most of the cyclists do feed on the energy of the audience.

C ya!

Marty (has been at a Tour stage a couple of times)

I don't think people should be allowed to spit on them..oh well, what can you do about ignorant jerks like that (I didn't think people hated Lance)

During Wednesday's time trial, Armstrong was booed, spat at and insulted, but shrugged off hostile sections of the crowd packing the road to win the stage ? moving another step closer to cycling history.

Armstrong knows some would prefer that he didn't wear the overall leader's yellow jersey in Paris on July 25.

"That motivates me more than anything," he said. "It certainly doesn't work against me. I'm not concerned about them."

Armstrong extended his overall lead in winning the 9.6-mile clock race, as hundreds of thousands of fans snaked up the mountainside, standing perilously close to the riders.

The tense atmosphere, heightened by about 4.9 miles of unfenced roads, reached its peak when some spectators spit at and verbally abused Armstrong.

"It's ugly. But this is big-time sport," he said. "People are emotional and excited. It doesn't take away from my desire to win. I think it puts a little fuel on the fire.

Armstrong complained about some German fans, saying they were "horrible." It was the first time that Tour organizers ran a time trial on the legendary climb.

Indeed, that was very unsportsmanlike (of the spectators that is). :madspit:

Unfortunately, it seems you have these idiots at all kinds of sports... :sigh:

Well done Lance, indeed. But after last friday i lost my respect for you :down:

Not that he will care,.....

Back
Top Bottom