The 2004-2005 Baseball Hot Stove Thread because I get to start one now - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2004, 04:59 AM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:31 AM
anyone who ever says that billy beane is a genious and that moneyball is the way of the future can my

you can fill in the blanks

Old 12-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Filling in the blanks: "Toss" your "dwarf" (Nelson)

Old 12-19-2004, 08:16 AM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

nice selection
Old 12-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

did you really have to sensor the word kiss?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

my mulder jersey is in the mail

this trade makes the cardinals rotation very good. mulder who's won more games than ANY lefty, sorry randy johnson, since 2001, thrust into the top of the rotation ahead of carpenter, morris (who had shoulder surgery and SHOULD be better, theres no way he can be worse), suppan and marquis is very good. still need a middle infield and i feel confident that cabrera and polanco will come to st louis, giving the cardinals molina, pujols , polanco, cabrera, rolen, sanders, edmonds, walker ( c - rf). i'll take that.

the only thing i'd like to add is another pen arm, but izzy/tavarez/king/eldred/lincoln is back/ankiel should be able to hold it down. still would like another one there.

finally a legitmate ace.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:39 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

what number is gonna be on it?

he was 20 in oakland, but that number is retired for lou brock in stl
Old 12-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

who said the word was kiss...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

so its "fuck my ass"?

i didnt know you swung that way
Old 12-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

hardy har har

the randy johnson-javier vasquez-shawn green deal is off... the dodgers have pulled out (hehe) after, according to newsday, javier vasquez refused to report to LA to take a physical.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Yankee president Randy Levine said: "we'll have to think long and hard before ever doing business with the Dodgers again"
Old 12-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Busy week for the Red Sox, they've signed Matt Clement, Wade Miller and Jason Varitek
Old 12-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

wade miller is a very good signing for them. if hes hurt, it was a cheap contract who cares. if he pitches like he's capable, he's their 2nd best pitcher.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:12 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Busy week for the Red Sox, they've signed Matt Clement, Wade Miller and Jason Varitek
i'm sure the boss is shaking in his boots

i still don't know what the red sox are thinking... not resigning pedro, letting pavano get away, trying to trade manny for fucking cliff floyd, not re-signing cabrera, and then trading away Dave Roberts, who is the main reason why the red sox didn't get swept by the yankees, to the padres for frickin' jay payton...

what are they doing? do they think that because they finally won the series they can take a year off, thus making the yankees look even worse for buying this year's title?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i'm sure the boss is shaking in his boots

i still don't know what the red sox are thinking... not resigning pedro, letting pavano get away, trying to trade manny for fucking cliff floyd, not re-signing cabrera, and then trading away Dave Roberts, who is the main reason why the red sox didn't get swept by the yankees, to the padres for frickin' jay payton...

what are they doing? do they think that because they finally won the series they can take a year off, thus making the yankees look even worse for buying this year's title?
Not re-signing Pedro -- unless he learns to throw a knuckleball, the Mets have themselves a $15 million mascot for 2008. And apparently Pedro and Nelson have broken up, making it an even worse deal.

Letting Pavano get away -- this is the one Theo would like to have this one back. Pavano's not that much better than Matt Clement, though.

Manny for Cliff Floyd -- I don't for a minute believe that this was anything other than a rumor.

Not resigning Cabrera -- they got Edgar Renteria, didn't they? Cabrera went for something like $8 mil per year, Renteria for $10 mil. They're both overpriced, but Renteria is the better deal here.

Trading away Dave Roberts -- they were being nice to him here. He's too good to be a fourth outfielder. Count on either Doug Mientkiewicz or Kevin Millar to be traded sometime this year as well.

The Sox are definitely not looking like the favorites for 2005. 2004 was just one of those magical years where all the moves the Sox made were golden (except for signing BH Kim for 2 more years) and all the moves they didn't/couldn't make also turned out for the best.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:21 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

To further Speedracer's rebuttal to Headache's ludicrous assessment that the Sox are "taking the year off"..
Pedro: Sox final offer was 40.5mil over 3 yrs, Mets overpaid for him, and he took the money, claimed he was disrespected (he asked for 3 yrs and 40.5 mil, so the Sox offer was disrespectful how Pedro?)
Pavano: Lets see how he handles Yankee Stadium and 55,000 angry New Yorkers instead of Pro Player and 4,200 placid retirees before declaring this a Yankee coup. Rememebr how well Jeff Weaver and Javier Vasquez have bloomed under the stadium lights.
Manny for Floyd...if there were any truth to this, it was to clear Manny's contract and spend that money on other free agents.
Cabrera...Renteria...no brainer.
Roberts...largely it was a deal to allow Roberts to be an every day player...Headache you say he was traded for "frickin Jay Payton", try looking at the entire deal, the Sox got Payton, who'll be a 4th outfielder, he has a .285 career avg., they also got Ramon Vazquez to be a utility infielder (since Pokey Reese is obviously gone), they got a decent pitching prospect in David Pauley, and they got cash...they took SD to the cleaners on the deal, since Roberts would have been a bench player in Boston.

Now what have the Yankees actually done so far? They have Pavano. We know they are pursuing Unit and Beltran, but they have landed neither, and currently haven't improved much.
The Sox no risk signing of Wade Miller could be one of the brilliant moves of this offseason if he can stay healthy. Clement should be good for 15 wins, and if Boomer's back stays healthy he'll be solid. So as they currently stand, the Sox seem to have the edge on the Yanks, if the Boss lands his 2 big fish, that shifts things, but neither has swallowed the bait yet.