The 2004-2005 Baseball Hot Stove Thread because I get to start one now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
StlElevation said:
i think the point of offering pedro and sammy contracts and trade offer in sammy's case is to get fans in the seats by getting star power on the field every day and every 5th day knowing you've got a legit chance to win every 5th game.

that said, in two years, maybe even next year, both these guys won't be anything really, maybe pedro will have something left because he really wasnt as bad as his era this year, he got shelled in september, but sosa wont have much left at all.

still, it would be money poorly spent unless the mets somehow miraculously compete and get into the playoffs next year, which i dont see happening. but the only logic i can see behind this is to get more butts in the seats. the average met fan would be elated to have sammy sosa and pedro martinez on their team.

but ya see that's the same old crap from the mets... the mets and the knicks are so alike it's scary. put a few names on the court, make a run at the playoffs, get knocked out early and never put up a legit shot at a championship. it's spooky.

if the mets brought in sexson, sosa and pedro... in that shity ass division they're in, they might actually make the playoffs... but unless david wright becomes an absolute stud and jose reyes can go 2 innings without getting hurt, they have no legit shot at winning the title. isn't that why they're supposed to be playing? to win it all? ponderous... f'ing ponderous.

and 5 days after the fact... i'm still in complete denial over the fact that the muts brought felix the cat heredia over from the spankees... perhaps felix can hang out with pedro's midget.

shoot me now...

"Oakland starter Tim Hudson, targeted by the Cardinals in a potential trade, told MLB.com writer Michael Urban that he'd like to be a Cardinal and has dreamed of playing in St. Louis."

this would compensate and beyond for losing renteria if they land him.

boston goes out and snags the past his prime veteran who loved the yankees, so the yankees in turn snag the just entering his prime young pitcher who grew up a die hard red sox fan... gee... i wonder who won this battle...

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Carl Pavano decided Saturday he wanted to pitch for the Yankees, and his agent and New York closed in on a four-year contract worth about $39 million.

i'm not at all sold on pavano, but i would much rather have him than wells. of course, if the sox plan to sign renteria and re-sign pedro, then i'd rather have those 3 than pavano, yes.

the yankees arent even close to done, i just wonder what theyre going to do that really makes big splashes...theres going to be something

Headache in a Suitcase said:
boston goes out and snags the past his prime veteran who loved the yankees, so the yankees in turn snag the just entering his prime young pitcher who grew up a die hard red sox fan... gee... i wonder who won this battle...

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Carl Pavano decided Saturday he wanted to pitch for the Yankees, and his agent and New York closed in on a four-year contract worth about $39 million.
What remains to be seen is how Pavano will fare under the glaring lights of Broadway, and the glare of the Boss from the owner's box. He's also obviously not too bright, since he managed to let a relationship with Alyssa Milano :drool: go by the wayside.
2 words of caution #1 Yankee fan Headache..."Javier Vasquez"
We'll see.

As for the Boomer deal, the contract is based largely on # of starts, so there isn't too much financial risk for the Sox, if Wells stays healthy, he's a solid guy for your #4 position (assuming Pedro re-ups and Nelson De La Rosa can be the 3rd starter).

where did you see/hear that? i havent read anything yet on rotoworld or espn, all i heard was that they upped the offer to 4 years.

WEEI radio with as yet unconfirmed report that its a done deal...though conflicting reports on amount, either $50 mil or $56 mil depending upon source.

makes sense to me, figured you'd have heard it on EEI. the sox were busy haggling over 1 million with pedro and then the mets just offered him the 4th year he wanted, not at all surprised by it.

i think this just makes it all the more likely boston signs renteria and trades for aj burnett.

and should boston sign renteria from st louis, jocketty had better well acquire hudson, because if they don't all they do this offseason is downgrade everywhere.

StlElevation said:
well, the mutts will be kicking themselves in 2008

You can say that again. I am listening to the Fatman and Fruitloops and they had this information since 1:00 pm but just announced @ 3:30pm

As a Met Fan, I surely hope they don't sign him even though they would have a pretty good staff in April 05..........Glavine, Traschel, Zambrano, Martinez......Headache, who am I missing here?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

Over-under on first Schilling-Wells matter-antimatter explosion: May 23.

Pavano's definitely a better investment than Wells, but I'm not all that impressed with him. NL/defensive park/contract year performance last year/etc.

With all this money the Sox saved by not signing Pavano and Pedro, they damn well better resign Varitek and get Matt Clement.

Otherwise, RSN will experience one massive collective hangover in April. It'll be like going to bed with Sharon Stone in 1992 and waking up next to Sharon Stone now.

mepedronelson.jpg

while down the line it may be a terrible move for new york, right now it's great. switching to the nl should help him, along with not having to pitch against the yankees if anything more than twice this year. pedro, glavine, benson, zambrano, trachsel will actually be pretty good. should reyes stay healthy, matsui play well, wright develop.... the mets may just be good. but they need a bullpen.

Back
Top Bottom