The 2 greatest R&B/Soul albums of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Otis Blue

f56214gjtm0.jpg

I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
f70175psg7m.jpg

Everyone person on the planet should own these 2 albums. They're just good for you. The music is just exemplary in every aspect. The songwriting, the bands, and of course, the singers.

Both read like "best of" albums:

Ole Man Trouble
Respect
A Change Is Gonna Come
Down in the Valley
I've Been Loving You Too Long
Shake
My Girl
Wonderful World
Rock Me Baby
Satisfaction
You Don't Miss Your Water

Respect
Drown in My Own Tears
I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Soul Seranade
Don't Let Me Loose This Dream
Baby, Baby, Baby
Dr. Feelgood (Love Is A Serious Business)
Good Times
Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
Save Me
A Change Is Gonna Come

The track lists really are jaw dropping. Aretha's cover of Otis's own "Respect." Both of their takes on Sam Cookes "A Change Is Gonna Come." The cover material is brilliant. The original material is brilliant. I won't even mention the singles.

What I would give to have heard these 2 record an album.

What really got me up is the fact Aretha almost recorded the album in Memphis, with Stax records, and the same house band that Otis recorded with. Booker T & The MGs. Good lord.

hallelujah! i almost started a thread on Soul//R&B a few weeks ago- glad to see someone else beat me to it!

over the past few years my affinity for Soul music has been deepening greatly.

didn't grow up being exposed to it much at all, so I've had to kind of learn about it on my own (which is kind of a cool experience really)

Some other greats I'm into:

Al Green
Curtis Mayfield
Stevie Wonder
Sam Cooke
Roberta Flack

as far as current artists, Alicia Keys and John Legend are very talented, but it is sad that this genre doesn't get more attention these days.

I love the quote from Bono where he calls himself more of a soul singer than a rock singer. So true. And such a big component of their greatness.

Wish more people (U2 fans in particular) would realize and acknowledge this.

Today's R'n'B/Soul/Hip Hop (whatever you may call it) has nothing to do with the glorious music of these artists named above, it's a shame to even have it associated. There are some great artists, though, Alicia Keys is one of my favourites.

MrBrau1 said:

But it's very pathetic.

And deserves pointing out.

i don't get anything out of listening to these two albums, and i'm not a fan of r and b.

in fact, i'd rather listen to 50 cent.

just thought i'd let you know.

Last edited:
Yes I am in total agreement with you Mr.Brau. Todays R&B is so boring and bland. It's needs to be revitalized, before it heads down the same road as Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop was at it's peak in the early/mid 90's. The last real R&B group was Boyz 2 Men.

dr. zooeuss said:
PS "A Change is Gonna Come" is absolutely one of the greatest songs ever written.

Sing it, brother! I love that song. Sam Cooke is top notch in my book. Love his voice.

Modern R&B ... I generally don't listen to it, but I make occasional forays into the genre. I like Alicia Keyes well enough, and thought her second album was actually pretty good.

Oh, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I like John Legend's latest album. Sometimes I'll give things a chance if they're getting critical raves, even if they're outside my usual genres, but am usually disappointed.

And as far as the Radiohead thread vs this one being "pathetic," big deal. So people are enjoying a new album. I fail to see the pathetic in that.

It's great you want to talk about something different, stuff you love, but don't get all pissy when there are only a handful of people who want to talk about it.

Because that's no fun. Just love the music. It doesn't matter if no one else is as into it as you. Right? Right????

Right.

:wink:

corianderstem said:

And as far as the Radiohead thread vs this one being "pathetic," big deal. So people are enjoying a new album. I fail to see the pathetic in that.

It's great you want to talk about something different, stuff you love, but don't get all pissy when there are only a handful of people who want to talk about it.

Because that's no fun. Just love the music. It doesn't matter if no one else is as into it as you. Right? Right????

Right.

:up:

I love Aretha. I grew up with her music, I have her records, I've seen her live at Radio City. But I've heard those songs a million times and there isn't much there to excite me anymore. Sure, I still wiggle my butt and sing along if she comes on during an iPod shuffle, but R&B simply doesn't inspire much for me beyond that; it doesn't fuel my imagination and send my soul soaring or give me goosebumps the way my more current favorites do. I don't have any kind of emotional connection to it. :shrug:

that must mean there's something wrong with you, joyfulgirl.

apologize to mr. brau.

I have an Aretha Franklin Greatest Hits collection in the CD player in my car right now.

But the best R&B/soul album of all time, IMHO, is What's Going On by Marvin Gaye.

And it is possible to praise R&B/soul music without dissing Radiohead.

Last edited:
Marvin Gaye, Etta James, Stevie Wonder all great R&B singers. Well judging by your age LemonMelon you must like 98 degrees growing up in the Boy pop band times.

Justin24 said:
Marvin Gaye, Etta James, Stevie Wonder all great R&B singers. Well judging by your age LemonMelon you must like 98 degrees growing up in the Boy pop band times.

I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

corianderstem said:

Sing it, brother! I love that song. Sam Cooke is top notch in my book. Love his voice.

Modern R&B ... I generally don't listen to it, but I make occasional forays into the genre. I like Alicia Keyes well enough, and thought her second album was actually pretty good.

Oh, and I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I like John Legend's latest album. Sometimes I'll give things a chance if they're getting critical raves, even if they're outside my usual genres, but am usually disappointed.

Right.

:hi5:

Cool to hear, Cori (Cori it is then, haha)

Sad to say I don't have any Alicia Keys or John Legend albums. Any recommendations?

cheers-

brau :up:

if people like Marvin Gaye, Ella Fitgerald, Al Green, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding don't stir your soul to infinity then you're not listening

Back
Top Bottom