That's One Expensive Meal there Kanye.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2922623
Kanye West Gets Food Delivery From U.K.
LONDON Mar 4, 2007 (AP)— If Kanye West were to walk into the British Raj's dining room and order dinner, it would cost the rapper about $17.50. But since the restaurant is delivering from Wales to New York it's going to cost a bit more.

For a feast of onion bhajees, chapati breads, biryanis, pappadums, a specially prepared fish dish and vegetables on the side, the bill will top $3,900, plus travel and accommodation for the restaurant's head chef.

The meal was requested for West and seven guests by a music promotion company, the restaurant said Sunday. The company had previously ordered food from the restaurant near Cardiff, Wales, for an after-show party for a Snoop Dogg concert in London.

But this is different. Normally, they don't deliver outside a 3-mile radius of the restaurant, which is about 150 miles west of London.

"I was horrified when I heard about this request because of the distance involved," said the restaurant's head waiter, Tarik Mohammed. "It's a long way, and our reputation is on the line. We are doing every thing to make sure the food gets there safely and every thing is aboveboard."

The meal will be prepared, cooled, shrink-wrapped and packed in dry ice in the British Raj's kitchens and along with head chef Kaysor Ahmed will be helicoptered from Wales to London's Heathrow Airport on Tuesday.

From there, the chef is to hop a flight to New York monitoring the food's temperature all the way clear customs, and head for Manhattan, where the meal is to be served during a meeting Wednesday.

The fee was arrived at by estimating the restaurant's takings for two evenings, the time Ahmed will be away, Mohammed said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

You know if it was Bono this thread would be flooded with "he can afford it, so why not?" posts.

Just like the "flying the hat over the oceans" story that turned out to be so true :yes: ...and it's just funny coming from the genre that always yaps about "keeping it real" yet it has the biggest money grabbers.

Shaliz said:
Why wouldn't the chef just fly over and prepare the food in New York? Why fly the food across the ocean?:huh:

That makes no sense to me either.

Plus it isn't as if you can't get good Indian food in NYC. WTF.

It's not actually Kanye doing this. It's a promoter doing it for a meal Kanye will be attending. He may not even know it's happening (aside from it being all through the media now).

Must be some great Indian.

indra said:
You know if it was Bono this thread would be flooded with "he can afford it, so why not?" posts.

well, I agree. I don't really give a fuck how much Kanye or Bono or anyone spends on their food, as long as everyone can afford food. If Kanye or his promoters or whoever want to spend that much money for that food then whatever :shrug: I find it strange. But I suppose most would.

MrPryck2U said:
Is this actually true?

The BBC have a slightly different version of this story:

The helicopter will be flying into Tredegar Park Golf Club at 1330 GMT on Tuesday to transport Kaysor Ahmed and the food to Heathrow. He will then fly to JFK airport, New York before being taken to a secret location to cook for Mr West and eight to 10 members of his entourage.

Mr Ahmed's trip will last two days before he flies back to the UK. His manager said he will be back in the restaurant's kitchen by the end of the week.

The Ayre fish, which has been bought especially, will form the centrepiece of the banquet which also feature speciality dishes from the British Raj's menu and standard Indian fare including poppadoms, bhajis and naan breads.

Mr Ahmed said they were charging £2,000 because of the special circumstances. The record company will be paying for the transport.

snowbunny00774 said:

Hey, whenever I go home to Ireland I come home with tonnes of curry sauce because it tastes sooo different, and better.

I really missed our curry when I was away. The Spaniards don't do curry sauce like the Irish, they just had curry flavoured dishes. :der:

(AP) No $3,900 curry for Kanye West

Tue Mar 6

Kanye West is not eating any $3,900 curry, his management said Tuesday. The British Raj restaurant had said that a music promotion company was paying that princely sum, plus travel and accommodation for the restaurant's head chef, to send a fully cooked Indian meal from Wales to New York for a meeting with West and seven guests.

But the music star's publicist said West wasn't planning to be in New York during the week, and that the food wasn't for him.

"There is no meeting in New York. There never has been," spokesman Gabe Tesoriero said Tuesday. He called the story "patently false."

The restaurant confirmed Tuesday that the food was en route to New York by plane. It said the bill was being footed by a promotion company called Raw Soul. Several phone messages left for Raw Soul were not returned.

Only one thing seemed certain: SOMEONE in New York was going to eat well this week.

Back
Top Bottom