Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um...what is the Mercury Music prize anyway? I know I read something about it recently (maybe a list of nominees), but don't remember what exactly it was.

meegannie said:

Sorry, no "h".

The Mercury Music Prize is awarded every year to a British or Irish artist or band, from any genre. The nominees this year were:

* Bloc Party – 'Silent Alarm'
* Hard-Fi –'Stars Of CCTV'
* Kaiser Chiefs – 'Employment'
* MIA – 'Arular'
* The Magic Numbers – 'The Magic Numbers'
* Coldplay – 'X&Y'
* The Go! Team – 'Thunder, Lightning Strike'
* Antony And The Johnsons – 'I Am A Bird Now'
* KT Tunstall – 'Eye To The Telescope'
* Maximo Park – 'A Certain Trigger'
* Seth Lakeman – 'Kitty Jay'
* Polar Bear – 'Held On The Tips Of Fingers'

Usually the winner drops off the face of the earth or releases a spectacularly crap next album after winning.

Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

meegannie said:

Usually the winner drops off the face of the earth or releases a spectacularly crap next album after winning.

i don't know, that makes me wish that it was coldplay or the kaiser cheifs. not because i hate either band, but because it would mean i'd never have to hear about either of them again. wait, i do hate the kaiser chiefs.

:up: I knew it wouldn't be Coldplay and I suspected it wouldn't be the Kaiser Chiefs, but I was so happy when it was announced. Of the albums on the shortlist Bloc Party's Silent Alarm is my favourite but I actually wanted the Go! Team to win because I think they're great and don't get the recognition they deserve. There were a few good albums on the shortlist though, Maximo Park's A Certain Trigger is one of my favourite indie albums of the year and though The Magic Numbers aren't really my sort of music I can understand why people like them so much.

Last edited:
I've only heard one Antony & The Johnsons song and I thought it was kinda cool.

Who won last year? Dizzee Rascal? I have a really short memory.

Edit: Oh yeah, I like the Kaiser Chiefs well enough.

Re: Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

IWasBored said:

i don't know, that makes me wish that it was coldplay or the kaiser cheifs. not because i hate either band, but because it would mean i'd never have to hear about either of them again. wait, i do hate the kaiser chiefs.

Everyday I love you less and less.

Bloc Party, the Kaisers or Maximo Park should have one, take your pic. A travesty, but oh well.

Franz Ferdinand won last year.

i wanted Hard-fi to win though, their album is great. i really don't like antony and the johnsons kind of music.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

Palace_Hero said:

Bloc Party, the Kaisers or Maximo Park should have one, take your pic. A travesty, but oh well.

that's fine with me, i don't like you either.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Who won last year? Dizzee Rascal? I have a really short memory.

Last year was Franz Ferdinand, although I only know that because when they showed the awards on tv they had a section about last year's winners.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

Palace_Hero said:

Oh ha ha. It's about time you learned that you are subject to exactly the same rules as everyone else here and stop trying to find smart-ass ways to get around the rules, particularly when your attempts to be smart fail so spectacularly. Or would you like to lose your access to B&C as well?

This came as kind of a surprise to me because:

1. I don't really follow industry awards
2. I thought Bloc Party would win.

I do like the Antony and the Johnsons record though.

Dizzee Rascal won in 2003, yertle. :)

I like Coldplay and Kaiser Chiefs okay, but I just think it's boring when the same bands win everything. And Kaiser Chiefs are WAY too similar to Franz Ferdinand to have deserved to win.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Oh ha ha. It's about time you learned that you are subject to exactly the same rules as everyone else here and stop trying to find smart-ass ways to get around the rules, particularly when your attempts to be smart fail so spectacularly. Or would you like to lose your access to B&C as well?

Thank you for describing my actions as spectacular.

Trevor McDonald introduced the news item to this as "You may not have heard of the award but pretty soon you'll have heard of the bands".

And I thought "EVERYONE'S heard of the Mercury Music Prize surely?" (In the UK and ROI I mean) then he announced who won and I was like, "Who?!"

There's a lesson to be learnt somewhere there I'm sure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thank god it wasn't The Kaiser Chiefs or Coldplay.

Palace_Hero said:

Thank you for describing my actions as spectacular.

you're worse than i am as far as intentionally trying to start arguments goes.

but i think i like your avatar.

Back
Top Bottom