Texas, Queensland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Axver. :wave:
I read back a little, looks like I missed a bit since my absence yesterday!

How is/are your ear(s)? :hug:

Right now, the painkiller's kicked in, so I'm doing OK. I can still hear a very distracting ringing and sound is dulled, but I'm at least comfortable.

I can not understand why people want to do stuff like that. The quiznos I work at is a training store for people who want to open other Quiznos, and we had a guy working there who was Indian, and whenever you asked him how to pronounce his name, he was like, just call me Karl (or something, I don't remember the name) and I and a few other people would be like, no just tell us how to pronounce your name, we got it, we work with 5 Indians ya know. And he just kept insisting we call him Karl, and that REALLY pissed of Nipul, because he' quite proud of being Indian, and such. Seriously, Nipul pretty much hated this guy for that reason.

Huh, I've never encountered an Indian who's insisted on an English rather than an Indian name. The only Indians I've known with English names were given those names in the first place. In my experience, in Australia, it's mostly just east Asians who change their name.

But yeah, I just don't get it. Often they have great names too, and why would you want to ditch something unique and interesting to be John or whatever?

Huh, I've never encountered an Indian who's insisted on an English rather than an Indian name. The only Indians I've known with English names were given those names in the first place. In my experience, in Australia, it's mostly just east Asians who change their name.

But yeah, I just don't get it. Often they have great names too, and why would you want to ditch something unique and interesting to be John or whatever?

He was the first and only Indian I've ever encountered doing that actually.

It seriously seems so wrong. I'm not going to move to another country and nativise my name, I wouldn't expect anyone to come here and do that either :huh:

He was the first and only Indian I've ever encountered doing that actually.

It seriously seems so wrong. I'm not going to move to another country and nativise my name, I wouldn't expect anyone to come here and do that either :huh:

I think it's especially sad when kids do it not because they really want to, but because their parents encourage them. I wonder if it's reflective of a perception that they'll face discrimination with a name from their own culture ...? But let's be honest, anybody who's going to be a racist fuck is going to be a racist fuck whether or not your name is Virender or John.

Just a nasty infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will knock it on the head in the next couple of days.

Hopefully!
You must be tired of being ill. First that flu, now a nasty infection! Get better soon! :hug:

Have I missed anything good in my absence? :wink:

I think it's especially sad when kids do it not because they really want to, but because their parents encourage them. I wonder if it's reflective of a perception that they'll face discrimination with a name from their own culture ...? But let's be honest, anybody who's going to be a racist fuck is going to be a racist fuck whether or not your name is Virender or John.

Feels to me like people would be MORE of a racist fuck if you did something like that, simply because people are evil

Hopefully!
You must be tired of being ill. First that flu, now a nasty infection! Get better soon! :hug:

Have I missed anything good in my absence? :wink:

Yeah, I can't seem to catch a break right now! Hurrah for the painkillers at least.

And no, nothing much has happened at all. It's deadtastic.

Yeah, I can't seem to catch a break right now! Hurrah for the painkillers at least.

And no, nothing much has happened at all. It's deadtastic.
Painkillers are awesome. :lol:

One time I was prescribed them was when I had to get a tooth extraction done when I was 17. My mum kept telling me that it [the meds] were gonna knock me out. I was supposed to take one at night time if necessary for the pain, for this reason. However, they killed the pain and didn't knock me out ... instead they made me hyper as hell. I remember playing some Sonic game and I was doing all kinds of shit I couldn't do unmedicated. :laugh:

Painkillers are awesome. :lol:

One time I was prescribed them was when I had to get a tooth extraction done when I was 17. My mum kept telling me that it [the meds] were gonna knock me out. I was supposed to take one at night time if necessary for the pain, for this reason. However, they killed the pain and didn't knock me out ... instead they made me hyper as hell. I remember playing some Sonic game and I was doing all kinds of shit I couldn't do unmedicated. :laugh:

:lol:

At least these don't seem to have done much to me except dull the pain. I did fall asleep straight after taking them, but I think that had more to do with my dodgy sleep last night than any drowsiness from the medication!

:lol:

At least these don't seem to have done much to me except dull the pain. I did fall asleep straight after taking them, but I think that had more to do with my dodgy sleep last night than any drowsiness from the medication!
Heh, it's not a bad thing that it hasn't!
I do believe I told you about the loaf of bread incident, didn't I? :lmao:

:yikes: can you get to a chemist, like, right now??

and hi serena, ax, weidy, and anyone else.

I'm not sure that any of our (pharmacy)'s are open this late, nor do I know where my script is.

I'm not sure it's even the asthma. I can breath, but my chest feels completely closed off.

I'm not sure that any of our (pharmacy)'s are open this late, nor do I know where my script is.

I'm not sure it's even the asthma. I can breath, but my chest feels completely closed off.

:hmm: It might still be asthma...but in a different format. But then again it could be heart related (which I doubt it...mainly cause I think you might be healthy otherwise) or something entirely different :shrug:

But I hope you feel better :hug:

:wave: Hi all!

You ok there Ashley??? :yikes:

I think so, but the back of my head's starting to hurt too. But I think that's just brought on cause this is making me nervous. I'm trying to keep calm and just watch the Olympics, but it keeps going on to damn commerxilas.

I think so, but the back of my head's starting to hurt too. But I think that's just brought on cause this is making me nervous. I'm trying to keep calm and just watch the Olympics, but it keeps going on to damn commerxilas.

Is anyone there with you?

Is anyone there with you?

yeah, I was just talking to my mom, she's looking for it, I'm really not freaking out too much, since, as you can see, I'm still typing fine, and not feeling too bad. I just, don't feel right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom