Testje, love and peace.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lara Mullen said:

She used to be a page 3 girl then got loads of publicity (she has a huge, false chest which attracts the attention). I don't really know what else she done apart from getting in the paper but she went onto a reality tv show called I'm a celebrtiy get me out of here and met, then fell in love with, Peter Andre. She said she was going back to her original name of Katie Price but I don't think that lasted very long. They are in Hello! magazine a lot and they are getting married in September. I know an awful lot about celeb gossip. :|

Hi April :wave:
Do false chests make a noise when touched :confused: That would get some attention.

laura the word chav has only just appeared over here. It's the media that introduced it to people's attention. although me and my friend have been using the word for a while cos we found a website called chavscum.co.uk that was absolutely hysterical :D

before that, I would have called chavs 'council'. That's not what people round here say though - that's just what me and my friends call them. It's not very pc though :uhoh:

or 'rude boys' and 'rude girls'

Last edited:
hahaha on the speak norn iron site they have a funny page about chatting with locals, heres the cut out and keep tips they provide

conkeep.jpg

This part will help you have an actual conversation with a Northern Irish person.

Talking to a Northern Irish person can be quite a traumatic experience if you are not properly prepared. We hope to help you take the anxiety and danger out of talking to a resident of Northern Ireland. Starting the conversation can be a difficult and tricky task, so in this section we hope to show you safe and proven ways of striking up a rapport with your new Northern Irish friend.

First Meeting

1] Smile - this is important in the early stages as it will make them feel calm

2] Don't make sudden movements -like quickly reaching for your mobile phone from your inside jacket pocket

3] Start the conversation with, "Bout ye?" - this is a universal greeting in NI and a good icebreaker

4] Allow your companion to respond - if you don't let them, it could lead to flared tempers

There are many, many more. A great conversation topic with a NI person is Alchohol. This is one subject all Northern Irish people are familiar with. If you are in range of a Bar or Pub, it may further your experience to invite them for a drink. Be careful in your choice of words. Use something like:

"Oh, look, mucker, there is a bar over there. Would you like to go for a pint, mate?"

If you ask properly, they will reply "Yes".

It's a well known fact that alcohol plays a major part in their culture and everyday lives. To coin a phrase, "They drink like salmon".
Get on the right side of a Northern Irish person by this stage, and your well on your way to experience the conversation of a life time. One that you'll not forget in a hurry.

At this stage it's important to remind you of the dangers of some of the locals. Some folk look down right scary. You can tell that they would be a bad choice for conversation by these visual and audible signs:

1] Wide, moist eyes
2] Imposing mannerisms
3] Grunting
4] Food caught in beard
5] Strong, foul smelling stench
6] Twitching
7] Barely recognisable speech

Now you've enticed a subject into the bar, you really do need to set up a situation that is both fun and safe.

- Don't mention "The Troubles" and tensions may arise and may not be fitting conversation in a Belfast bar
- Don't ask personal questions, like where they live etc
- Do offer as much drink as you can comfortably afford
- Do tell jokes, as Northern Irish humour is quite rife in NI
- Talk about the weather - it's their best subject.

Your encounter should run smoothly, if it should go badly we recommend these excuses if you find yourself in bother.

1] "I'm sorry [insert name of NI person], but I have to go to the cash machine to get more money for drink."
Get up and leave. Your companion will believe you and let you leave. Do not return.

2] "It's been "magic" to have had a drink with you but I have to go now. My ferry is leaving in 45mins."
Again, they will believe you as many people use the ferry to Scotland as means of escape.

3] "Would you like another drink?"
If the the reply is "yes", hand them a five pound note, to go to the bar. They will accept with disbelief and head for the bar. Leave promptly. They won't be to angry with you as they just made a fiver, and got a few free drinks.

These tips should ensure an enjoyable encounter with a local. Follow these guidelines and your trip to NI will be a lot more memorable.

I always see people in uni reading that site, I think it's so popular because most of what it states is completely true.

The diminishing diva thread worries me a little bit because I feel certain people think if they just work out really hard all this weight wil magically drop off or if they starve themselves but eat the wrong food they will lose weight too. That's just a recipe for diasaster in my opinion.

My eating today has been really good I think

Breakfast: Small bowl of bran flakes
Glass of pure orange
6 large straberries and some natural yoghurt blended together

Lunch - Wholegrain bread with slice of chicken and lettuce followed by kiwi and banana. Few pumpkin seeds.

Snack - Apple

Dinner - 3 small potatoes, turkey, small bit of cooked ham, brocolli, peas, baby sweetcorn, mushrooms.

And I've been drinking water all day plus been out in the garden and did a workout dvd. If I get hungry later I won't deny myself. Our family all eat like this, my Mum and Dad started last year and my Mum lost 3 dress sizes, my Dad lost 4 stone and they both have kept that weight off. I also tried not eating much but I just lots of weight and put it back on again, I was also hungry all the time. It's about being sensible and making sure you're eating regularly, just not the bad stuff. :up: I can't believe i'm a stone lighter than I was this time last year, that's quite a lot and I am a dress size smaller (almost two). I got some new trousers and the size below them was a bit neat but these ones are all pretty baggy. :love:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Sour apple mix and straight vodka strained over ice :drool:

Not sure if you have Jolly Rancher candy over there, if you do it tastes just like the green apple one.

We have jolly ranchers here but never tasted it. I like vodka and diet coke. I had 3 big glasses of white wine last night and was pretty sozzled, I fell asleep on the sofa. :lol:

I'm a firm believer in eat right/less and exercise to lose or keep the weight off. My mom is all about the South Beach diet at the moment, but to me it's just another fad. Eat too much of anything and you'll gain weight, but don't deprive yourself, either. As my one friend says, "You can't be afraid of food."

If I eat dinner at 6, I'm usually hungry again by 8 or 9, but if I'm being good I grab an apple and dab some peanut butter on it, or have half a peanut butter sandwich.

It's all about balance. :up:

I don't eat peanut butter, it's not big here like it is in the US. I eat things quite plainly (I would never mix fruit with peanut butter :laugh: ) but I am quite open to new things. Last year I had never eaten a kiwi or fresh pineapple :drool: I also eat a lot of new vegetables now like the baby sweetcorn :drool: and mangetout.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm a firm believer in eat right/less and exercise to lose or keep the weight off. My mom is all about the South Beach diet at the moment, but to me it's just another fad. Eat too much of anything and you'll gain weight, but don't deprive yourself, either. As my one friend says, "You can't be afraid of food."

If I eat dinner at 6, I'm usually hungry again by 8 or 9, but if I'm being good I grab an apple and dab some peanut butter on it, or have half a peanut butter sandwich.

It's all about balance. :up:

That is the way to do it, a little change in habbits will do a lot more for health and weight control than a diet for a certain time.

Rono said:
That is the way to do it, a little change in habbits will do a lot more for health and weight control than a diet for a certain time.

Like not having sugar in your tea anymore?! :hyper:

:D

I am only 13 minutes into my Monday. I should go to bed :yawn:

We had our oldest mini fah's birthday party today at the local wave pool. Yes, 15 screaming girls all under the age of 10 :ohmy:

It was very loud :huh: but they all had fun :)

Does anyone want some leftover birthday goodies. I've got cheese pizza, chocolate cake and goodie bag treats.

Oh yes, goodie bag treats....

I've got candy necklaces, gummy hotdogs and hamburgers and mini chocolate bars (Aero, Kitkat, Coffee Crisp and Smarties). :drool:

Lara Mullen said:
:(

How's the prep for Texas coming along Rono? :hyper:
i think that is one of the reasons a could not concentrate tonight :sad: i let my team down,...i guess they are happy that i will be gone the next 3 games :laugh:

The preps are going well :up: :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom