Test Matches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to be very honest I haven't the foggiest idea

oh well

nothing dear Jeeves can't do

Dear Jeeves, what is a test match?

Damn you Jeeves, damn you to hell.

Let's try Google...

Test Cricket

In the more traditional form of the game, each side has the opportunity to bat twice in matches whose duration can range between two and five days, the latter being international 'Test' Cricket.
Each batting session is an 'innings'. In Test cricket you can bat for as long as you like, a couple of days being the optimum. If you think you have enough runs, you can 'declare' the innings closed before all the batsmen have been 'in' and start bowling at the opposition.

A batsman wants to score 100 runs, a 'century', while a very good bowling performance will bring 10 wickets in the match, over both innings.

If you have bowled the opposition out twice, i.e. 20 wickets have 'fallen', and they have scored one more run less than you, you have won. Conversely, as soon as you have scored one more run than the opposition overall, you are the winner.

However, one of the curiosities of the traditional form of the game is the fact that even after five days, if all 20 wickets have not been taken and the runs not attained, the match can be called a 'draw' and effectively shared by both sides.

Test cricket is the highest form of the game and is played among nine nations who have been given Test status: England, Australia, West Indies, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe.

A Test series between two countries consists of between two and six matches, and is usually supplemented by a One-Day International series of matches.

No idea for the rugby though, which is odd considering I posted a thread about it. Hehehe... *slinks away*

Well in terms of international matches cricket came first. somehow they adopted the 'Test Match' banner, I guess because internationals were seen as a true 'test' of the strength of the sport in the two competing countries. The meaning has evolved now to where, as yertle (Jeeves :D) described, Test Matches are the longer form of the game, played over five days, and so in that sense they represent the greatest 'test' of skills in the game. Rugby and other sports just took up the term when discussing their international contests.

you are right, Bangledesh play both Test and One Day-International cricket....

when i was about i dunno, 6 or 7, i thought Rugby test matches were played over 5 days :lol:

Back
Top Bottom