Terry Pratchett fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
Forgive me if this has been discussed before (it has probably been discussed by me, knowing my luck) , but are there any blue crack addicts around here who are also Terry Pratchett fans? The Discworld series is perhaps my favourite assortment of fictional/satirical novels of all time. I love practically every book in the series. Not for the fantasy side of it, but for the humour, the completely insane plot lines that go off in each and every direction but still manage to work out all right at the end, and, of course, the footnotes. Pratchett's a genius!

So if you've a passion for anthropomorphic personifications, polyfractal L-space, CHARACTERS THAT SPEAK LIKE THIS, and fireplace pokers, this is the thread for you. :drool:

Quotes!

All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional.

The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles - kingons, or possibly queons - that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed.

This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."

It's a sad and terrible thing that high-born folk really have thought that the servants would be totally fooled if spirits were put into decanters that were cunningly labelled backwards. And also throughout history the more politically conscious butler has taken it on trust, and with rather more justification, that his employers will not notice if the whisky is topped up with eniru.

I read Good Omens which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman, one of my favourite authors. I have never picked up one of his books however, heard of them, not read them.

BTW, do you ever freaking sleep?

I strongly encourage you to look into the Discworld series! It's pure insanity, mixed with plenty of well-placed wit and humour. Even the "Books By Terry Pratchett" page at the front of every Discworld book makes me laugh. "The Discworld Series: For Adults of All Ages." Ah, just my kind of author. I've yet to read Good Omens. Did you enjoy it?

As for your question, no. :happy: At least not while I'm on holiday. I'm trying to waste as much time as possible before the winter semester starts.

Back
Top Bottom