Tennis: US Open...series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VertigoGal

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Djokovic beat Federer in the final of the Rogers Masters. :ohmy: Federer's backhand was pretty weak today but it was still a great match from Djokovic.

Anyway the US Open isn't for 2 weeks but it's never too early to talk about tennis. :drool: And there's a tournament going on in Cincinnati this week as well, Federer and Djokovic would be on track for a rematch in the semis of that one.

Surely I'm not the only one who gets the tennis channel and watches it almost daily during the summer??? :shifty:

yeah ok I guess I'll just bump this thread in a few weeks. :sigh:

No Tennis Channel unfortunately. :(

I think with Federer it almost like there isn't anything for him to do now except win the French. I'd expect more upsets in these minor matches because of that. At some point for the great individual sports athletes there comes a time where the biggest opponent is purpose.

Tennis is a nice relief from my obsessive watching of the NFL preseason. :drool: I really wish some tournaments would come near here. That or the tennis channel. :(

We only get what the BBC decide to show, and they don't usually inform you what they will be showing....they do tend to show all the opens though, but again they don't tell you what time they are on etc

I just have to use the internet to keep up with the latest news.

LJT said:
We only get what the BBC decide to show, and they don't usually inform you what they will be showing....they do tend to show all the opens though, but again they don't tell you what time they are on etc

I just have to use the internet to keep up with the latest news.

Actually, it's the same here in America and this is suppose to be a lead up to our major. :tsk:

Which sort of explains the lack of interest in men's tennis in America. :wink:

I find the American public, obviously you and VG withstanding:wink:... only take great interest in an internationally played sport when they have someone winning all the time...otherwise they kinda ignore it.

Djokovic should have a great run in the US open though...he does seem to be in some amazing form.....will he break the Federer/Nadal duoply?

LJT said:
I find the American public, obviously you and VG withstanding:wink:... only take great interest in an internationally played sport when they have someone winning all the time...otherwise they kinda ignore it.

Djokovic should have a great run in the US open though...he does seem to be in some amazing form.....will he break the Federer/Nadal duoply?

That is very true. In America, there is football, baseball, basketball and auto racing. For tennis to gain the attention of the public there has to be American dominance. When your best is Roddick and Blake there is a major problem. The US Open should be earlier in the year because it comes right before football season. It's a shame because a Federer and Djokovic might be in the cards. Oh and Baghdatis might have a shot as well.

It's a bit sad though that people just can't watch a sport for entertainment's sake.

I don't think there has been a time when Ireland has had a good tennis player....in fact the only sport I can think of where Ireland is sort of top of the game would be horse racing...we breed kick ass horses:wink:

Djokovic has been the clear #3 in the world all year, but beating Federer and Nadal on consecutive days shows he's closing the gap for sure. I'm not sure I'd pick him over either of them in a best-of-five though. He seems a little bit more prone to breaking down physically and I wonder whether he'll be able to hold it together over the course of two weeks, especially if he has some difficult matches along the way in the early rounds.

But it should be a great tournament. The women's tournament is absolutely wide open. Henin? Ivanovic? Jankovic? Sharapova? Serena? Venus?

edge_2125 said:

But it should be a great tournament. The women's tournament is absolutely wide open. Henin? Ivanovic? Jankovic? Sharapova? Serena? Venus?

It is all about the schedule on the women's side. They are all inconsistent which is why the bracket will bring us the winner. Venus won Wimbeldon because of the schedule. I'd expect someone like Henin or Ivanovic to take it.

Djocokic is my new favourite. Not only is he damn good and can step up to the plate, but he's got a great sense of humour as well. He keep doing pisstakes of other players at Wimbledon, it was funny as.

COBL_04 said:
Djocokic is my new favourite. Not only is he damn good and can step up to the plate, but he's got a great sense of humour as well. He keep doing pisstakes of other players at Wimbledon, it was funny as.

With all the coverage of Federer and Nadal, you don't get exposed enough to great players and great personalities like Djokovic. It's a shame.

How's tennis coverage in Australia?

Screwtape2 said:

Nothing is like those matches under the lights. :combust:

The US Open cannot come fast enough. :hyper:

I know! There always seem to be a few classic matches under lights. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

The excitement that I would normally feel at the approach of the U.S. Open is somewhat tainted by the fact that no one is going to beat Federer.

Amazing as he is, he has made the game boring.

Federer v. Isner should be interesting. If Federer does win it all this year, he may have to take out a string of Americans to do so. He could have Isner, Young, Roddick and Blake in successive rounds, if they all get through, that is.

How do you solve a problem like Maria?

Agnieszka Radwanska

plus all the double faults and unforced errors don't hurt either

I get a kick out of how the commentators get all excited when someone pushes Roger in the first set of a match. Federer isn't Leyton Hewitt or Marat Safin, he doesn't rattle. He has reached nine Grand Slam finals in a row for nothing. If Isner stayed tight with him through 2 sets, I would have given him a chance. Federer just upped his game another level after spending a set learning how to return the big serve.

Isner has a big serve and that's it, ok, he showed some decent groundstrokes at times. It was his first US Open, playing the world number one, centre court so I give him credit for doing so well.

Unfuckingbelievable.

Djokovic should be up 2-0 right now, but he's down 2-0.

I don't know how much more of the announcers sucking Federer's you-know-what I can take. It's becoming a problem. I really can't stand it.

I just want somebody to beat Federer. Period. Anybody.

I don't want him taking Sampras's record.

Roger Federer is without question the greatest tennis player ever.

He has this extra gear he can draw upon which is the intangible strength he has over all players. He is playing mediocre tennis today by his standards but ups his game during crucial moments to win sets. He handles adversity with remarkable calmness.

Djokovic is learning a lot about himself today and it will make him a better player. I think Djokovic will be Federer's competition in the future.

No, Federer is not the greatest ever. He is a far-above-average player in an era with little competition. Roddick and Hewitt are both overrated. Nadal and now Djokovich have time to develop their mental games enough to be able to beat Federer. And that's what the difference is. Federer has a GREAT mental game, and these guys don't always fully believe they can beat him. Djokovich outplayed Federer in the first two sets. Period. He just choked on a few points and in tennis that's all it takes to turn a match around. He didn't have the mental game to take the last step in each of the first two sets against Federer.

No question in mind that if Federer were playing in an era with Borg, Connors, MacEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, or in an era with Sampras, Agassi, Rafter, etc, he would NOT be as dominant as he is.

It's not just about how dominant he is. He has no weaknesses. He has a powerful serve, amazing groundstrokes, strong backhand, is comfortable at the net with his amazing volleys, moves without effort across the court, stays healthy year after year, can hit passing shots from anywhere, amazing return of serve and has perhaps the greatest court demeanor of any player ever. No player before him has ever shown such skill. Even Agassi is amazed by Federer by remarking how most top players have 2 maybe 3 abilities far and above other players yet Federer has 5-6 of these abilities which even other greats are shocked to see in one athlete. The records are just icing on the cake.

No doubt Djokovic is lacking experience during these crucial moments. I do like Djokovic's push backhand up the line. But Federer hasn't played that well himself with more unforced errors than usual. Nadal will retire from injuries earlier than most players due to the nature of his gameplay, he beats himself up.

I have watched all those guys from the past on tv and they didn't possess the skills that Federer has.

Last edited:
And I think all of Federer's skills, while all being quite impressive, are made to look even better than they are by being used against what is more the most part mediocre competition.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom