Tell Us About Where You Live! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shari schultz
As for the Milwaukee part we have many, many, many, many, many....well you get the idea, festivals. The season kicks off with Summerfest www.summerfest.com........ So much music so little time. Also lots of incredible food and a fabulous view of our lakefront. Italian Fest. Polish Fest. Mexican Fest. German Fest and others. There is also Irish Fest-my favorite !!!!!
http://www.irishfest.com/festivalinfo/index.htm Incredible music, good food, shopping and a dog show with some of the biggest Irish Wolfhounds you have seen.

The art museum was designed by Santiago Calatrava
and is gorgeous!
The Bucks and Admirals play at the Bradley Center-U2s concert venue for the Elevation tour. The Brewers play at a beautiful ball park-Miller Park-and they seem to have gotten the whole leaking roof thing under control. We also have some excellent college teams around here-Marquette Goden Eagles(in my heart they will always be The Warriors), Panthers and the Badgers in Madsion. To the north are a little team called the Green Bay Packers-

We also have an amazing zoo and public museum. The winters last for what seems forever but all of a sudden you look up and it is all green and blooming-Spring. Summers can be a wee bit hot and humid, but ya deal with it. Autumn, although it is not my favorite season, is quite a beautiful thing around here.

All in all, I guess I love my city.
I am from Milwaukee as well ...

Don't forget about Milwaukee's famous frozen custard. High in fat and calories, but worth it.

Milwaukee has an incredible arts scene (visual arts, performing arts, etc) that doesn't get the attention it deserves, amazing restaurants and a pretty hip night life.

As Shari mentioned, the summer "fests" along the lakefront make this city great and celebrate our diversity.

What else ... well, if I ever lift Milwaukee, I would surely miss real brats, Goldman's (if you can't find it anywhere else, you can find it at Goldman's), the "Peperoni Canoli" guy, Lake Michigan, the "God Mobile" patrolling Wisconsin Avenue ... and too many other things to mention

100 things to do in Milwaukee

100 more things to do in Milwaukee

Old 06-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 05:34 PM
San Francisco, California...Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Victorian Houses, Cable Cars, North Beach, the Beat movements, the Hippies, trees, hills, the Pacific Ocean and the beautiful bay among other things. A great, open-minded place to be!

Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
God Mobile" patrolling Wisconsin Avenue
How could I forget the God mobile on Wis. Ave.
The custard, oh the custard
Old 06-02-2004, 03:08 AM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 04:34 AM
I have lived on the Sunshine Coast for 19years. The sunny coast is comprised of many suburbs or towns that hug the coastline for about 60 kilometres and it also has a hinterland that is about 40 klms deep and again has many towns that make up the three shires that comprise the Sunshine Coast. Most of the time I have lived at either Mooloolaba or Coolum, which are beach side suburbs, but now and for the past 7 months I have been living at the Glass House Mountains, which is one of the southern hinterland towns. I live in a big, upstairs house that has big verandahs and lush gardens and trees all around, I kinda feel as though I live in a 'tree house', I'm actually looking for a new housemate at the moment- any takers???

The sunshine coast is a great place to live and the Glass HOuse Mtns township is lovely. I have the beautiful mountains to look at, the beach is only a half hour drive away and Brisbane is 45 mins away,

two of the Glass House Mountains

Map of the Sunshine Coast area

Aerial pic of Mooloolaba
Old 06-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 06:34 PM
I am originally from Toronto. A great city. Rich in so many respects. But I will leave it up to someone else to talk about it because there are others on this board from T.O. I am going to talk about my adopted home, Barcelona.

I moved here a year and a half ago with my wife, who is from here. I have been in Barcelona long enough that I am over the honeymoon phase that everyone experiences in a new city. And even after this I sincerely believe that it is easily one of the best cities in the world to live in.

Where to begin? Well, for those of you who haven't passed through Barcelona in your travels, I will explain the layout of the city. The city centre is essentially the Ciutat Vella (the old city). It stretches from the Roman period until about 1850. It is not small, but it is walkable. It contains everything from Roman ruins to several gorgeous Gothic cathedrals (one of which I had the great fortune of being married in, Santa Maria del Mar. Inside this wonderlan you can find Roman walls, colums, aqueducts and part of the exacavated town of Barcino. You can also find the medieval townhouses of Catalan merchants who traded across the Mediterranean. I can say that I have nbot yet wandered down every street in the Ciutat Vella, there is always a corner or square yet to be discovered!

In 1850, Madrid approved a plan for expansion as Barcelona was bursting at the seams. This is called the Eixample. It is a grid of large blocks imposed upon the landscape that ignores the existence of the old city. It has a certain charm, but it can be somewhat cold. What it lacks in character, it makes up in architecture. It became the playground for modernist architects, the most famous being Antoni Gaudi. You have the controversial Sagrada Familia, La Pederera and the Casa Batlló amonong many.

So besides it's amazing history, why do I love this city so much? We have a flat in the Ciutat Vella. We don't need a car, we can walk to buy everything we need (have I mentioned the dozens of markets throughout the city?). Public transport is spectacular. It is very cheap, and incredibly effecient. Food...well, don't get me started. Barcelona is full of fantastic restaurants and food shops. Of course there is loads of excellent and very cheap wine. Every bar has a terrace where you can sit and have a drink and some tapas. Catalan cuisine is excellent and Barcelona is rapidly gaining a reputation for being a reputation for excellent "fusion" cuisine, as they call it.

Whoops, speaking of which. Now I am going to La Vinya del Senyor. A bar that serves only wine and has THE best olives in the world! I could go on, and on. But if any of you ever have the chance to come here. Do not pass it up.

I know it doesn't sound like I am over my honeymoon phase, but I really am! The main thing I don't like is the weather! I miss the seasons in Toronto. The winter here is long and is always the same. Like a 6 month autumn.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 PM
My fiance and I are going to Barcelona for a week in August on our honeymoon. Now I'm even more excited! It's his favourite city, but I've never been anywhere outside the US or the UK (other than a few hours in Canada and driving through Ireland from the Dublin airport to Northern Ireland).
Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 AM   #52
War Child

Local Time: 06:34 PM
You are going to love it!
Old 06-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quick edit to my post that I just now realized-my town is southeast of Lincoln, not southwest of it.

Angela
Old 06-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:34 PM
This thread is better than I ever thought it would be!! I am learning so much about everyone's cities!!!!