Tell Me You Love Me on HBO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
From the website:

"A provocative and honest exploration of intimacy, 'Tell Me You Love Me' offers an unfiltered look at three couples as they navigate critical periods in their lives. With a candidness that breaks conventional boundaries, creator Cynthia Mort examines the moments – both significant and everyday – that form the basis and language of each relationship.

Twenty-somethings Jamie and Hugo (Michelle Borth and Luke Kirby), experience the vitality of sex but realize their intimacy serves as a drug-like escape from their disparate takes on fidelity and commitment. Katie and Dave (Ally Walker and Tim DeKay), two happy parents in their forties, instead question why their love and devotion to one another hasn't translated into sexual intimacy in nearly a year. Meanwhile, mid-thirties couple Carolyn and Palek (Sonya Walger and Adam Scott), come to learn how much their efforts to become parents and their inability to conceive has strained the intangible connections between them.

Therapist May Foster, (Jane Alexander) works to carefully guide the couples toward healthier relationships and despite a few unresolved issues within her own marriage, she and her retired husband Arthur, manage to share a partnership that is both deeply loving and passionately sexual.

Capturing both the awkwardness and closeness of each couple, Mort opens a window into the complexities of modern relationships. Thought-provoking, raw and immediate, 'Tell Me You Love Me' teases out the unspoken dreams, hang-ups and fears that materialize when sex and intimacy connect – or when they diverge."

We watched it last night and liked it. We'll see how far it goes.

Watched it with hubby- thought it was interesting. Watching it gave us an excuse to touch upon some conversation about men, women and their relationships, honesty, ideas, values etc. (my poor husband!!) but really, i said SOME conversation, not enough to glaze him over. I also was quite surprised at the amount of skin shown on HBO!!

i think it could go somewhere. i though the sex was graphic, but completely relevant to the story, especially the most graphic part -- the completed hand job -- as she wanted to touch her husband's (probably) impotent semen.

i also want that couple's house. :drool:

and i think it's important to see old people having sex. seriously. it's good for us. it might not be sexy, but not much of the sex was sexy. it was more point blank, and when you remove suggestion and possiblity and emotion from sex, it's not all that sexy, is it?

i also want the hand job guy to get a haircut.

irvine, you make me smile. :D

i also feel the same way. people are voyeurs and want to see this, graphic as it may be. i wish there was a gay or lesbian couple on there, not because of who i am but because it may be beneficial to show others that we have the same troubles as the three couples depicted in the show. but then, this is tv and we become a stereotype.

yes, i was hoping for a gay couple too.

if there's a 2nd season, and this being HBO, i think we stand a good chance of being acknowledged as people. :up:

I've only just discovered On Demand. I thought I had to pay for it and was shocked to discover that I can watch stuff for free on it with my HBO subscription. I'm so dumb sometimes.

So I watched episode one last night and I'm intrigued. I think I might have been a wee bit shocked by how graphic it all was had I not read this thread and the one over in FYM first. But since I was prepared all I can say about the hand job scene was that it was ruined for me because I really, really dislike that actor. I don't know where I've seen him before but he bugs me for some reason.

Perhaps the guy in the couple that doesn't have sex will turn out to be gay?

I'm into to it, too. :up: Last night's episode was really poignant, I thought.

But my ON DEMAND isn't ahead, it only has up to the current episode.

joyfulgirl said:
But since I was prepared all I can say about the hand job scene was that it was ruined for me because I really, really dislike that actor. I don't know where I've seen him before but he bugs me for some reason.

yes, me too. i really, really want to give him a haircut.

I'm also into this show. It is great to see this type of subject matter in something other than independent films. I find the Jamie and Hugo couple to be the most disturbing. What's more important, love or sex? I think most couples should watch this show. :up:

Screwtape2 said:
I find the Jamie and Hugo couple to be the most disturbing. What's more important, love or sex? I think most couples should watch this show. :up:

i agree. they're the couple with whom i most closely identify, and it some ways, they seem the most "realistic" of all of them.

and the nudity quotient has gone way down since the first episode. which is a good thing.

and that sex just isn't very sexy at all. it's so clinical.

Irvine511 said:

i agree. they're the couple with whom i most closely identify, and it some ways, they seem the most "realistic" of all of them.

and the nudity quotient has gone way down since the first episode. which is a good thing.

and that sex just isn't very sexy at all. it's so clinical.

I think they are the most realistic as well. The part when Marcus was trying to help her by sleeping with her was one of the most realistic things in the show. The sexuality seems so cruel and lifeless that those near or actual sex scenes are almost painful to watch the more you get to know the characters. That's what makes the show great.

i am really hating the Palek character. i just want to slap him and cut his hair. :mad: and i keep associating the sex addict girl with Sarah. I could totally see her life turning out that way. :(

I haven't seen the final episode yet but I really hope it comes back...I wasn't expecting much but I'm totally hooked.

As much as Palek annoys me though, I would really like to bitchslap Dave a few times...his wishy-washy wife too :angry:

I thought all of the couples touched on some pretty real issues and complexities in relationships. Palek pisses me off, too. Carolyn was annoying in the beginning and made some bad moves--like quitting her job without talking to Palek first when the relationship was already fragile--but in the end she kind of broke my heart. Love is complicated is what I'm left with after every episode.

Me too and I think if you are watching it with a partner/spouse, it opens up some great dialogues. For me, Caron and I find ourselves talking about all this stuff as some of it hits home sometimes and it provides a basis for that difficult conversation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom