Tell Me Why... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Tell Me Why...

New York City is where I should move next when I have to leave here...any loyal residents to make a case for it and help me decide?? I need decision-making assistance...please!!!

Old 08-13-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:10 PM
I live about two hours from NYC and am hoping and praying I can move there next year. People who aren't into the city will say that it's big, crowded, expensive, and noisy--all of which are true. But there are a lot of advantages of living in New York. The public transportation system, for example, is huge and, thanks to improvements in the last few days, reliable. Kiss your car goodbye. THAT saves you a lot of money.

It's damn near impossible to be bored. New York has at least eight or nine professional sports teams (hockey, baseball, soccer, men's and women's basketball, football). Some of the world's most important and renowned museums and cultural attractions are in New York. Not to mention that ANY decent band is going to stop in NYC on a tour. Concerts--good ones--probably every week at least.

You're not far from other major cities--I think maybe 3 or 3.5 hours each to Boston or Philadelphia. You're also not far from nice beaches and quiet vacation spots (Jersey Shore, Long Island, New England et al.) The commute to NYC is getting easier, so if you want to relocate to, say, northern New Jersey, the Poconos (which is near where I live) or Long Island after a few years, it's do-able.

There are a million great reasons to move to NYC. I love the place and hope to be living there this time next year. Even U2 loves New York.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
after living in London I would pick a diverse city like NYC to live in!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Acrobat

I was thinking about moving to NYC last night. I'm trying to save money now. I have family about an hour from the city, so that would help. I would move to London, but I'm too afraid to get on an airplane. lol.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I would love to live in NYC. I looooved the city when I've visited.

ALthough I'd never cheer for the Yankees

Old 08-13-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

you are a smart gal
Old 08-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

I lived in the Bronx for 6 years, and just moved 30 miles north in March. I love/hate NYC. It stinks, it costs too much, and everything about the place is difficult. Most of the people suck, and it is vastly over-rated. That said, I still love it, I'll catch myself in moments where I realize this is the best place on the planet. Oh, Fuck the Yanks and their fans most of all.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Oh, Fuck the Yanks and their fans most of all.
and you are a smart guy
Old 08-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

The greatest benefit to living in/near NYC is you can get ANY record in the world, and see any band/tour (cause they all make NYC a stop). The downside to this is the cost of those records and the hipster doofuses who will attend the shows( you know the type, the kind who have the same haircut and clothes as the singer/guitar player). You should've seen the clubs when the Strokes broke. Every local band in the city tried to LOOK and SOUND like them. Fucking flakes.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #10
New Yorker

i think NYC would be awesome if your income was high enough to afford the city, enjoy the city and have a decent place to live. You should also be prepared to deal with the small hassels. I would not want to live in NYC if I was going to financially just making it.

I really love NYC though in case that seemed negative. At one point I really wanted to move to NYC to have that experience. Sometimes I think it would have been great, at other times I think it would have driven me nuts. Many upsides, some downsides. If you feel like you want to give it a shot though let it ride.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:30 PM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

Ok, do you not know of Mike Mussina???

I met him once.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #12
New Yorker

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm just totally confused...I think I will have to leave London (although I'll keep trying to get back some way - more school maybe, etc), and nyc seems like a good option. I understand the love/hate relationship with a city like that. A lot of people hate London, but I really do love it, despite the bad things...I would be sure I had a job first, although with the type of work I want to do, I probably won't be all that well paid... Ah, well...it's probably DC (which would be the easiest in a lot of ways) or NYC now, although I have thoughts of picking up and choosing Seattle or something sometimes too...anyway, thanks for the thoughts.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 AM
NO DC.

NO.

No.

no.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 PM   #14
New Yorker

hehe, got it...
and we all know who LOVES nyc...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:20 PM   #15
New Yorker

seattle is awesome. i would love to leave in sea town. DC is awesome and NYC is awesome -- you can't go wrong Jenn.