Tell Me Why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkayet

New Yorker
New York City is where I should move next when I have to leave here...any loyal residents to make a case for it and help me decide?? I need decision-making assistance...please!!! :scream:

I live about two hours from NYC and am hoping and praying I can move there next year. People who aren't into the city will say that it's big, crowded, expensive, and noisy--all of which are true. But there are a lot of advantages of living in New York. The public transportation system, for example, is huge and, thanks to improvements in the last few days, reliable. Kiss your car goodbye. :) THAT saves you a lot of money.

It's damn near impossible to be bored. New York has at least eight or nine professional sports teams (hockey, baseball, soccer, men's and women's basketball, football). Some of the world's most important and renowned museums and cultural attractions are in New York. Not to mention that ANY decent band is going to stop in NYC on a tour. ;) Concerts--good ones--probably every week at least.

You're not far from other major cities--I think maybe 3 or 3.5 hours each to Boston or Philadelphia. You're also not far from nice beaches and quiet vacation spots (Jersey Shore, Long Island, New England et al.) The commute to NYC is getting easier, so if you want to relocate to, say, northern New Jersey, the Poconos (which is near where I live) or Long Island after a few years, it's do-able.

There are a million great reasons to move to NYC. I love the place and hope to be living there this time next year. :hyper: Even U2 loves New York.

I was thinking about moving to NYC last night. I'm trying to save money now. I have family about an hour from the city, so that would help. I would move to London, but I'm too afraid to get on an airplane. lol.

I lived in the Bronx for 6 years, and just moved 30 miles north in March. I love/hate NYC. It stinks, it costs too much, and everything about the place is difficult. Most of the people suck, and it is vastly over-rated. That said, I still love it, I'll catch myself in moments where I realize this is the best place on the planet. Oh, Fuck the Yanks and their fans most of all.

The greatest benefit to living in/near NYC is you can get ANY record in the world, and see any band/tour (cause they all make NYC a stop). The downside to this is the cost of those records and the hipster doofuses who will attend the shows( you know the type, the kind who have the same haircut and clothes as the singer/guitar player). You should've seen the clubs when the Strokes broke. Every local band in the city tried to LOOK and SOUND like them. Fucking flakes.

i think NYC would be awesome if your income was high enough to afford the city, enjoy the city and have a decent place to live. You should also be prepared to deal with the small hassels. I would not want to live in NYC if I was going to financially just making it.

I really love NYC though in case that seemed negative. At one point I really wanted to move to NYC to have that experience. Sometimes I think it would have been great, at other times I think it would have driven me nuts. Many upsides, some downsides. If you feel like you want to give it a shot though let it ride.

Thanks for the replies. :) Yeah, I'm just totally confused...I think I will have to leave London :( (although I'll keep trying to get back some way - more school maybe, etc), and nyc seems like a good option. I understand the love/hate relationship with a city like that. A lot of people hate London, but I really do love it, despite the bad things...I would be sure I had a job first, although with the type of work I want to do, I probably won't be all that well paid... :hmm: Ah, well...it's probably DC (which would be the easiest in a lot of ways) or NYC now, although I have thoughts of picking up and choosing Seattle or something sometimes too...anyway, thanks for the thoughts. :)

nyc reasons:

canal street

street venders in soho

canal street

music availability

the foooooooooooooood :drool:

the food on canal street

battery park

central park

art

museums

cultures

ummmmmm

i think that's about all i got for now.

but thems be good reasons i says.

OH and the peaceability of the black and white cookie.

:wink:

MrBrau1 said:
I lived in the Bronx for 6 years, and just moved 30 miles north in March. I love/hate NYC. It stinks, it costs too much, and everything about the place is difficult. Most of the people suck, and it is vastly over-rated. That said, I still love it, I'll catch myself in moments where I realize this is the best place on the planet. Oh, Fuck the Yanks and their fans most of all.

This is a beautiful summary!

I could not agree with MrBrau anymore.

I love Manhattan - if you could live in comfort in Manhattan...great. DO NOT LEAVE Manhattan (I will now refer to Manhattan as NYC...not to be confused with the greater part of NYC, including the other Borroughs: Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, although you can survive in Brooklyn too) though.

NYC is a world of its own. Not really part of America, more part of the planet earth (due to its diversity). Yet, off of the Island, it becomes crappy. Again, my opinion. I am not fond of "the people" of the "greater area" and their "I am more important than the poor sap driving/standing/walking next to me."

I think it is a nice place to visit. It may be a nice place to live for a few years - especially if you don't mind remaining single forever.

Anyway. I end my rant.

I think DC or Seattle or Chicago or CINCY for that matter, may be better.

Haven't we discussed this though? :wink:

zonelistener said:
I think it is a nice place to visit. It may be a nice place to live for a few years - especially if you don't mind remaining single forever.
Now that's not encouraging...I don't need more things working against me.

jkayet said:
Now that's not encouraging...I don't need more things working against me.

But it's so true! I lived in NYC for 6 years, and wound up meeting my bride-to-be in my hometown in CT after I left! You can get laid in NYC, but you won't find love.

Ok, so I think I'm applying for jobs there...not letting a little thing like being alone my whole life threaten me. ;)
Ok, so this is very broad, but does anyone who has had experience with both nyc and either dc, seattle, chicago, or san francisco have a preference? like one over the other? Ok, I should probably have just done a new thread... :reject:

I Haven't been to Seattle yet...everyone tells me I have to check it out. It is one of my priorities to check out Seattle to see if it is somewhere I would like to move eventually. The traffic is bad. Not sure about public transit.

I love Chicago. As you know, I live two hours south of Chicago. It is just as urban as SF or LA or Boston or any other major city, but, it also has a comfortable Midwest feel to it. It is not as intense as NYC, but just as urban. :heart:Chicago:heart: Just a side note...Chicago concert goers are notoriously lousy. I didn't believe it until the last few club shows I have gone to. It seems as if they go to see the bands, but very few get intoit. :shrug: Flame me fellow FIBs. :p Chicago people are friendly, and I don't think you would have troubles making new friends (as well as your interference friends would be willing to help, maybe ;) ). GREAT public transit system.

San Fran is also a great place (My opinion). For my, I think it would be the most ideal weather situation. It is also known as one of the most expensive areas in the country. :huh: I am not sure about how easy it is to meet new people in SF. I am not sure about public transit (BART?).

I also like DC. I see a lot of opportunity in DC (job wise). Northern Va. is growing soooo fast, and is one of the world's major tech hubs...nevermind the federal government job opportunities. It is also a great cultural area. Another DC advantage...It is on the East Coast:Four hours from NYC, 1 1/2 to Philly, 8+ to Boston...etc. You also know people there. Good public transit system.

NYC speaks for itself. :up: :down: I love it and hate it. I think it is tough to meet new people in NYC. Good concert goers...The best public tranist system in the US.

You CAN'T go wrong with any of these cities in my mind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom