Tell me what you think of these band names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fritz Carlton

sounds like a hotel chain. i dont like it.

Cry Havoc

somewhat punkish, its a grower. i dont mind it.

Reign

even more punkish. its more of an instant pleasure to read. i like it.

Deadbear :sexywink: :sexywink:

hmm... the similiarities between that and deathbear are numerous. does it have anything to do with how good looking and how great i am in the sack? its a good band name.

Secret Masons

no.

Creed

the greatest rock and roll band of our time. led zepplin can only wish they had the power these guys possess.

when you makin another creed thread, swallow?

have you heard of default or three doors down?

band names...a hobby of mine

can you describe the style of music ( other than excellent) that the band will be playing? That can influence the decision...an old time dance band called "deadbear"?maybe not...maybe.
For years I have been meaning to start a book to record my flashes of brilliance, the names come to me at unexpected moments and seem like grand ideas at the time...but then I forget them.
Of that list you have posted I like "Reign"...it's one of those words, what are they called, same pronunciation, different spelling?
reign- royal, the top of the heap.
rain- meterological, nice stuff when you can get it
rein- yeehaaa, equestrian ( I like the idea of a horse on the poster)
I think saying them repeatedly out loud helps..it is best they roll off the tongue
I really really REALLY dislike the band name we are currently trading under, but it's not up to me. It makes it hard to get enthusiastic. I hate it when people ask what our band name is, it has negative connotations imho.
here's my current idea......"grrrr men" just thought of it! just kidding.

last good one was "blow kisses"...don't ask about that either....of course there is a story.:eyebrow: :eeklaugh:

good luck:wave:

Well I'm not in a band right now so none of those names have a sound yet (except Secret Masons is the band of a guy I work with), but are just a few ideas that I'm keeping in mind. I agree with you on the multiple meanings or the word. I like it when a name can be ambiguous and you can find your own meaning in it (I.E. Queen, Hum, etc.) And not going to add 'THE' to the beginning of it or make it 'Reign-182' to punk it up. I've always though that band names with numbers are dumb. I know U2 has a number in it but it seems like people just pick some random word and add a number onto it and bam, you have a band name. Sum-41, Blink-182, 69 Boyz. At least names like Ben Folds Five were funny, since they were a trio.

So cass what is this band name that you don't like so much?

I only just realised the other day

a long time ago, hub mixed for a band called "Y4"...I never made any U2 connection. Y4/U2...I'd say so.

I want us to be "The Detectives " again. People still remember them so fondly, it is virtually the same line up ( although I think yet another drummer is about to get the boot..temperaMENTAL band leader..(god I love the stability of bass players). We could do the "we're back,we're on a mission" thing, the suits the hats..it was fun.... but what would I know?
the embarrassing name?
must hang sally
why don't I like it?A lot of men around here , too many, have hung themselves, (my son's school mate for instance, one friend's husband and son..too many, the name actually hurts me, I asked them not to use it)
The song Mustang Sally has bad memories for me too. The singer in a previous band insulted my sister during the performance of that song, to a point I can never EVER forgive him...creep. Hub knows all that , and still they went with that name. I rarely go to gigs with them, it is that bad.hmmm maybe that's why they used it eh?
I'm in the mood for posting.... a list of the bands we have worked with, maybe it will spark an idea.I wonder if my old memory can dredge them all up? here goes..
Oasis, Energy, Nella Ridge,Headland, Moral Support, The Injectorz, Exeter Follies, Y4, Radar Image, Little Eagle,Razzamataz(they were awful),Razor,Fireballs, Hound Dog,MGM, Lunchtime Legends,The Detectives, Los Garbos and the Trashmen....too many to recall...it's been a lot of fun, a few tears,too many late nights, but mostly fun.:yes: :dance: I:heart:music
secret masons....I have a heavy metal friend who joined the masons, they let anyone in these days it seems. He had a band with hub , briefly called "the sect". I vehemently disliked that name too...funny handshake may have been better?
Hum? that is half a band name I thought was good for ages "Dynamo Hum"( from a Frank Zappa song) lo and behold a young local guitarist who comes home fro summer holidays, uses that name.
CASS!!! :silent: :wave:

careful what you ask for..u just might get it

why do I have the urge to sing.."another one bites the dust" or
"it's gonna be a bright bright sunshiney day.."?
Hub told me yesterday, they are only taking bookings until through February, then old sally is no more. Good imho. We'll manage or start something else....."the black velvet band"?:eeklaugh:
in that illustrious list up there, I forgot probably the best band he was in, "Temple". The guitarist named the band and it had nothing to do with U2, but I always thought of "mount temple" the source.Gosh they were a good band, they had some great originals, one of them always reminded me of Bullet The Blue Sky.

Pennyblack are playing in town tonight..woohooo, another good band name. I used "bad penny" as a chat handle for a while, so it makes me:wink: too.
rave rave rave...U2 is THE ultimate band name imho, simple perfection

I thought of a new one yesterday

"kind"

and an old one, that I still like...it has to do with Jimi Hendrix, but I've have to go back and research to get it exactly correct. I taped a "JFile" about Hendrix from triple J radio, quite a few years ago. I think it was called "castles in the sand"?
They mentioned Jimi was a paratrooper, a shy boy, not thinking about a musical career. On about his( this is the bit I can't recall) 17th, 23rd? parachute jump , he broke his ankle and left the force.
So I figured, thank heavens for that or the rest would not be history.So it is a band name with a number.

Jump17
or Jump23
whatever is the correct number, that jump made rock-n-roll history imho.:yes:

Fritz Carlton - hmm, it does remind of the Carlton hotels. Nope.

Secret Masons - interesting, how about just the word Secret alone?

Deadbear to me sounds like some heavy metal band. Nope.

Reign - interesting, but maybe a bit pushy for a new band? (could come off as too arrogant)

Cry Havoc - hmmm, too violent. What's this band, Satanist cult followers or something?

Creed - :lol:

me being a gardener and all

I had to pop into the Shawsy yesterday and check out this band briefly...just because I thought their name was clever.

Savage Beer Gardeners

so a name can make a difference. They were OK at what they were doing, Sunday arvo pub blues/rock...old blokes. I suppose you would have to be aware of another Australian band "Savage Garden" to get the joke.
PS: I put $2 in the mermaid again...no pearls this time, but $20. Thanks U2, it all helps.
Latest idea from a new/old Johnny Cash song I have just discovered "Psycho Hillbilly Cadillacs":eeklaugh:

Back to the original list.
fritz carlton - it reminds me of Michael Hutchence a bit :( he died at the Ritz Hotel @ Carlton in Melbourne:( :( The Ritz Carlton as it is known.
and Cry Havoc reminds me of a book "Cry Freedom".... Africa and Braveheart.
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM:wave:
**cass pokes JS**..U still awake?:huh: :wave:

What about something like "Havoc Lips" or "Havoc Sneakers"? That's kind of weird and punky.

Or why not just admit it once and for all, and go with Deathbear?

I am crushed...would that make it The Black Crushed Velvet Band?

I was ( once again) digging thru a bargain bin of El cheapo Cd's and found an Australian band called "The Black Velvet Band"
Oi...that's my name!!! I made it up when I was about 14. How dare they? Ahhh well, I'm not likely to use it. I give it to them graciously....now I know they exist.

Hub was looking for some old papers the other day amd found his school diary...not much referring to school, but he is a list keeper, thank goodness. I found it interesting.
He thought his first band was called Oasis and he was 17. But he had carefully listed band -name, venue, hours worked etc in his diary.
He was 16 and had his second ever gig on the same day my eldest sister was married. I said I wished he had played at the wedding, but I was only 9 years old, so that may have been tricky.
His first band was called "The End"....in the beginning was the end!
He also briefly had a band "called "concrete wellingtons" teehee
He's getting a new band together at the moment....at his age he is going to be much more discerning about who he plays with. I hope I get a say in the name...this time?
I thought of a good one a few days ago...hmmmm and now it's gone. I should write them down. What was it?
nope...gone forever.
I had my 3rd ever U2 dream last night...a long drive in a vauxhall with edge at the wheel....
DRIVE
and go on wid ya, smartypantses..i can see it too...you put an "l" onto it...hmm, so that's no good either. Back to the drawing board.:hmm: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom