Tell me the details of how Music/Movie clubs like BMG/Columbia House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
(Sorry for the bad title grammar)

I've been wanting to know how good a deal it is to join a music/movie club since I'll probably buy a ton of DVDs this Christmas and afterward. Does it really save much money as compared to buying from places like Amazon.com?

I know they advertise things like "12 DVDs for a penny!" But how does it work? Do you pay like $10 'shipping' on each one?

And do you have a commitment to buy so many DVDs or for a length of time?

------------------
This post brought to you by: MTV "It's only cool if it's profitable."

AIM: JuanSwallow

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 12-02-2001).]

Just my opinion, but I would avoid any and all of those type of 'clubs'-they are a rip-off.

I've never joined one for that reason, but I know a few people who have-and it's like a 'cult'-once they have their hooks into you, you can NEVER get out of it-they will constantly harass you.

I think you are much better off going to Amazon or a chain like, I hate to bring up the name
wink.gif
-Best Buy. Or a warehouse-type store.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

my grandmother signed up for columbia house's dvd club.

she got like 4 or 5 for free and all she has to do is for the next 3 years purchase 3 more dvds.

the thing is, THEY CHARGE TOO FREAKING MUCH FOR A DAMN DVD.

she ordered a dvd and it totalled 29.95.
they charge you tax and shipping and handling.

it's stupid.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Its really good, I dont know, just get 12 cd's free buy 2 in 2 years its AWESOME.

I did it for DVD's too, what a feeling opening the box with like 6 brand - new DVD's...mmmm..

After you get your 12 free CDs and buy your required 6 purchases @ regular price from ColumbiaHouse (within 3 years)... You get a pretty good deal... just never renew your membership to get 12 more FREE CDs, which demand your 6 required purchases (@ regular price)....

My CD collection has grown from 200 to 360 within a year... and I spend about $30 per month for 6 CDs!!!

I dunno about Columbia House DVD yet... just started that... my first impressions about the DVD Club is that it RIIIPPPPPS ME OFF because FULL PRICE DVD is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to buy... starting at $25 for a regular DVD... going to Best Buy is a better option.

BTW, overall, these clubs could be a good deal if you consider CD collecting an investment and don't mind paying $3 S&H per item.

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 12-02-2001).]

Actually, BMG was great but I don't think they're available in Canada any more. It was something like "buy one get ten free" and there was no more obligation. In that way it was a better deal than the "get twelve free then buy six more at regular prices" clubs, none of which I've joined. Because of the shipping, all those first free CDs plus the regular price one added up to $40+ dollars but that was still a great deal. Then there was no more obligation and they also gave some amazing deals. Stuff like "buy one, get three free" or better yet, great prices on box sets. I got the Led Zep box set with each individual album for about $80 (it has ten discs, I think, and usually costs about $200) and the Police box set for something like $30 instead of the usual $70 or so. So if you can find one which offers great deals like that and doesn't force you to buy a whole bunch at those painful regular prices, it's a good deal.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

The music clubs are great...

THE DVD CLUBS CAN ROT IN HELL. I got outta mine because a minor can't legally enter into a contract, and I was only 16 at the time.
wink.gif

I've been in Columbia House for about 15 or so years now. Whenever I fulfill my obligation I eventually rejoin (probably done it about a dozen times). I don't know how people can say they're not a good deal, I mean the savings are awesome. Sure, you're paying a lot for the CD's you gotta buy at "regular price" (which is about $22-$25, in Canada anyway) but that first shipment is what makes it so great. BMG was a better deal IMO but they went and discontinued their operations up here, which blows.

The only problem with rejoining a bunch of times is that I have found it a little bit harder to find selections that I want from their catalog. But now I just tend to buy a little less at retail and then wait for CH to offer up new albums that I want.

I used to belong to BMG and it was great geting the free CD's. The only thing that I didn't like that, was that they wouldn't have the latest releases. when ATYCLB came out in October, it was not available until the following February. Be prepared to hear from them at least 3 times a month.

I didn't really find that I was always getting hassled by them. And the record clubs have to get the albums so long after they first come out because it's a stipulation in artist's contracts. They make basically NO money from record club sales so they delay the amount of time that they become available there. Basically, the clubs are used for increasing their sales totals and it's also a good way for people to discover bands at minimal risk and then maybe they'll buy that band's NEXT album at retail.

i am in BMG and Columbia House. I like Columbia House better because you don't have to send the thing back every month if you don't want anything. I'm not sure if BMG is still like that, but it used to be if you didn't send the form back they would send you the monthly cd. Pain in the arse.

Back
Top Bottom