tell me please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
what is this whole radiohead thing about? I have only seen two of their vids ever on mtv2, that's it, and to be honest, I wasn't too crazy about the songs. (one was that underwater-lost-civilization-graphic-thing and the other they were like marching over dead people in the street or something...I don't remember exactly)

but despite this, I know many, many people who are madly obsessed with radiohead. so what is it about them that is so great exactly? or should I just buy the music ? :D

moneybears2.gif

Last edited:
its impossible to really say what makes them great.

i mean, how would you in turn to respond to someone asking the same question about u2? ya know what i mean?

i do know, that there probably is more hype about radioheads forthcoming album than any other album to be released within the next year. the hype for the sound of an album often indicates what kind of following a group has, just as u2's massive hype for atyclb. remember? every single review said "back to roots." obviously they were looking for that or to see if u2 would continue paving new ground. unfortunately, they didnt, but still managed to put out a decent album anyway.

wow is that confusing. and im a reporter.

look, just download a few of their songs ok? everyone give her a few, but here are a few suggestions that show their range in styles.

1. how to disappear completely
2. paranoid android
3. fake plastic trees
4. idioteque
5.err, i dunno, i guess street spirit, but im not sure. who cares, ya, ill say "street spirit."

i bet if you give all of those songs a chance youll fall head over heels for them. if you like smashing pumpkins and u2, im sure youd like radiohead too.

No no no bear.. she wont like those songs first.

Go get The Bends.

i think paranoid android and street spirit are good choices to start with.

BG, i first truly fell in love with radiohead with OK COmputer. I had the Bends before it but I didnt truly realize their brilliance till OK, but after that I started to adore The Bends even more.
OK Computer is in my opinion as close of a great album to AB as you'll get. But thats just me. Its the only one of that generation of music I can find to challenge it.

However radiohead is not a band you can listen to over and over. Well, I cant anyway, if I listened to them every day, I prolly would have jumped off a cliff by now. You and I have similar music tastes so I think once you get into them, you'll probably be a fan.

I would say stay clear of Paranoid Android and Creep
I guess I should have done that

Radiohead, where do I start? Um um um, Ed is wickedly debonair. Radiohead, epic song Paranoid Android, spans more than 6 minutes, in three parts, does not have a set tempo like OTHER popular songs. Psychedelic lyrics. Bravely experimental. Fuck-all attitude. Radiohead is a mentality, a state of mind. Radiohead is the third place. You've been there before. Welcome back. Thom and his lazy eye are like Batman and Robin. AMAZING SKILL. Radiohead has one of the best drummers and guitarists in the biz.

foray

hahaha salome, thanks for the warning!

I was pretty sure Id' get some abuse for asking this :D
I know its impossible to sum up a band in a post, but I will try and d/l some songs...my computers pretty shitty in that way so I am forced to buy most of my music. and I was afraid of what you said fors, that its a mentality and I just wont get into it and will therefore have wasted my precious money on something i dont appreciate. but manda, youre right, I think we do have pretty similar music taste, so hey, anythings possible! ;)
and I can usually get into something if i listen enough.

thank you one and all, I will take your suggestions for songs deathbear if I can find em, and I'll do what I should have done in the first place...listen to the music :D

http://www.greenplastic.com/lyrics/index.html

you could also try checking out the lyrics of some of the songs, click on some of the songs from The Bends and OK Computer first, especially songs from OK Computer like Paranoid Android and Subterranean Homesick Alien, Thom's writing on that album is about as good as it gets for music lyrics; the lyrics are often seen as sad and depressing, but their is a strong sense of dark irony and sarcasm, for instance, songs like No Surprises and Fitter, Happier deal with modern life and the disillusionments of a life that strangles your spirit, creativity and individuality... and songs like Karma Police, Lucky and Electioneering mock power, persuasion and authority... but check out all those songs on OK Computer and The Bends, and from the lyrics, choose a few that you think you would like -- I advice those two albums because their last two albums will seem incredibly alien and are not in any way friendly to the curious observer (unless they grew up listening to Sigur Ros or something); Exit Music is a chilling Romeo & Juliet style tragedy; try High & Dry, that is a very radio-friendly track that was a hit single back when it came out, you may have even heard it before and don't realize it; I would say many of the songs on The Bends are more about mental breakdowns in dealing with failing relationships and life choices (ie, the paths one takes in life that seem to be leading no place, expressed nicely in songs like Fake Plastic Trees, Bones, Blackstar, Sulk, My Iron Lung)

but once you add the music, the atmosphere it brings to the songs is very intense and engulfing -- I use Radiohead more than any other music to inspire myself creatively

Last edited:
thanks Craig, I really appreciate it! I read some of it already, and I really like the lyrics off of Pablo Honey and The Bends. OK Computer seems above my head, maybe it will make more sense with the music or maybe I will just get into it gradually.

thanks again guys, it was a difficult question I know :D

Back
Top Bottom