tell me about this band called travis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they are a fabulous band from Scotland. By far one of the best (most fun/funnest) live bands I have ever seen. Except the last show I saw...but I blame that on the sucky crowd.

I really like em. Yes.

I like them, brit pop very close to the genre (nothing of raves progressive/radiohead)

I may be way off here, but I would describe Travis as mellow, beautiful rock music. And I mean mellow in the best way possible, as in, no screaming or vicious guitars. Just straightforward rock, lovely vocals, and solid lyrics. They have certainly grown on me, and I just picked up their latest album. I'm really enjoying it, and I like them more and more with every new song I hear. You should check them out if you have a chance. :)

They are a great Scottish Band! Liked them even more after seeing them live!

travis.jpg

Fran is very sweet :wink:

Some of their best songs are:

Happy
Driftwood
Why Does It Always Rain On Me
Turn
Writing To Reach You
Flowers In The Window
Sing
Side
Pipe Dreams
Beautiful Occupaion
Coming Around
Re-Offender

You need to watch the video to SING! (especially the live version on TOTP's Brilliant Food Fight, It's Very Funny!!!)

travis_sing.jpg

:laugh:

They are one of those bands that i never really checked out although Im sure I like what ive heard. However, funny this comes up now as my wife got my thier new album for Christmas, sounds good...

yertle-the-turtle said:
not a big fan

but they have this really amazing amazing song called 'love will come through'

I thought they were best the last time I saw them in October :heart:

There was a threa d awhile backw here everyone suggested songs by them :hmm: *checks*

i cant find it anyway they are very good :up:

12 memories is a very good album

The Man Who :heart:

:applaud:
I love love love Travis...and they're coming to Seattle next month(and I have tickets :hyper: )
Heartland Girl gave the best description...

think of them like this= their songs are like these jewels. sometimes rough, most times sparkling and melancholic. and sometimes, they create the most beautiful chaos...a controlled chaos (especially on the new album) that has the most stunning melody buried inside the chorus. it's the kind of music you can listen to over and over and still find something new everytime.

from allmusic.com

Along with Cast, Ocean Colour Scene, Kula Shaker, and Embrace, Travis was one of the most prominent British trad rock bands in the mid- to late '90s. Following Oasis' lead of crafting down-to-earth, heartfelt songs in the vein of classic British bands from the '60s, Travis was more successful and enduring than some of their peers due to their lively, impassioned songwriting and performances. The group formed in Glasgow around 1990 as something of a lark for its members, singer/songwriter Francis Healy, guitarist Andy Dunlop, drummer Neil Primrose, and bassist Dougie Payne. After finishing their studies at art school a few years later, the foursome became more serious about Travis' potential and moved to London in 1996. Their self-released debut EP, All I Wanna Do Is Rock, came out in the fall of that year; with its earnest vocals and soaring guitars, it captured the spirit of British rock at the time, which was retreating from some of Brit-pop's artiness to a back-to-basics sound. Their second single, 1997's "U16 Girls," was released by Independiente Records, the new label headed by former Go! Discs' director Andy MacDonald; a few months later, their critically acclaimed full-length debut Good Feeling arrived. Recorded in a matter of days with top producer Steve Lillywhite, the album included hit singles like "Happy" and "Tied to the '90s" and immediately entered the Top Ten of the U.K. charts. The following year, Travis began sessions with star producer Nigel Godrich for the follow-up to Good Feeling, recording in six studios in as many months. Though it was a slower, darker affair, when The Man Who appeared in 1999, it eclipsed Travis' previous successes, going platinum six times in the U.K. and spawning more hit singles such as "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" and "Writing to Reach You." Nominated Select Magazine's Album of the Year (and finishing in the Top Ten of many other publication's year-end lists), The Man Who appeared on U.S. shores in early 2000, just in time for a tour with their musical big brothers, Oasis. Debuting at the number one spot on the U.K. album chart, The Invisible Band was issued in June 2001 just prior to stateside summer gigs with Dido. Two years later, the band issued 12 Memories.

HeadsOnSticks said:
think of them like this= their songs are like these jewels. sometimes rough, most times sparkling and melancholic. and sometimes, they create the most beautiful chaos...a controlled chaos (especially on the new album) that has the most stunning melody buried inside the chorus. it's the kind of music you can listen to over and over and still find something new everytime.

good.

then it's settled.

we shall go and see them live. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom