Tell me about the Smiths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
Tell me about the Smiths.

A number of people have recomended them to me. They say they are one of those Key Stone bands.

Do you enjoy them?

Would you recomend them?

Are they terribly sad? (while I enjoy quality music no matter the mood I am sort of a happy guy)

What album should I check out?

What do you want to say?

Thankyou!

IWasBored said:
go get the queen is dead.

Right now? In 20 minutes? In 2 days? In a Month? In a few years? In a life time?

I need some assesment here. :wink:

the smiths are a tough one -
growing up people either loved them (and i mean LOVED) or loathed them (and i mean LOATHED...).
i think the hardest thing to 'get' is morrissey - his voice is one of a kind, and it either soothes you or grates on you. and his lyrics are pretty melodramatic. WAY over the top.
initially i hated them, but over the years i've come to really, really like them. the music in every song - EVERY song - is always spot on. johnny marr did some amazing things with the guitar, frantic rhythms, loads and loads and loads of hooks and melodies. the rhythm section was great, too (don't recall their names off hand). at any rate, the music was always produced magnificently, and i do think that they were (and always will be) one of the seminal bands to emerge from the ashes of new wave and into the first wave of 'alternative' music. straight up pop/rock music. they had fast songs and ballads, kept most of it in the 3 minute range, and consistently delivered their goods for their entire career. what did they SOUND like? i guess a reasonable comparison would be early REM - same type of instruments as on 'murmur', but a voice that was way, way different.
i agree that 'the queen is dead' is probably their masterpiece - especially the songs 'the boy with the thorn in his side', 'cemetery gates', and 'frankly mr. shankly'. and let's not forget 'there is a light that never goes out'.
if you'd rather check out a compilation, there are a few that do a reasonable job as introductions - 'louder than bombs' is great for this, and the collection 'singles' gets a lot of what that misses.
songs to track down (my 2 cents)
the ones i already mentioned
'this charmless man' (awesome)
'girlfriend in a coma'
'london'
'ask'
'is it really so strange?' (kind of a gay cowboy vibe going on here)
'panic' - i wouldn't be surprised if you recognized this song, it's been around

certainly worth looking into if you've never heard any.:wink:

Last edited:
Tarvark said:

Right now? In 20 minutes? In 2 days? In a Month? In a few years? In a life time?

I need some assesment here. :wink:

yes now! geez, i thought that was a given!

Alright Dudeman and others, your convincing me. I am feeling good about going out and doing this. I am trusting you guys, dont let me down.

So the question remains though: Queen or Meat? (I dont really believe in Greatest Hits sort of things and it sounds like the Smiths wernt especially suited for that kind of presentation either).

Johnny Marr is one of the greatest guitarist of all time and Morrissey had some of the funniest and poignant lyrics ever.

And the rhythm section of Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke is really one of the most criminally underrated in the history of rock.

In short, one of the greatest bands ever.

The Smiths are my second favorite band of all time after U2. Like most, I would recommend Queen is Dead, but you can't go wrong with Louder Than Bombs or Hatful of Hollow either.

barlowdog said:
The Smiths are my second favorite band of all time after U2.

:yes: same with me.

Probably the best British band of all time behind the Beatles imo.

The Queen Is Dead is a masterpiece.

my fav song at the moment is 'Well I Wonder' from Meat Is Murder. just beautiful :drool:

The Smiths are teriffic.

Very moody and at times atmospheric.

They also have many catchy songs and some of the most obscure and cleverly written lyrics.

If you like those sort of things, pick up a cd or two today.

my new year resolution was get the whole Smiths discography

today I bought "The Queen is Dead" and "Louder Than Bombs", great them both :up:

barlowdog said:

Well I Wonder; one of the most fantastic unrequited love songs ever. :love:

I know a lot of people say Morrisseys voice is quite annoying, an acquired taste but i couldn't imagine anyone else singing this song. the way he croons it is wonderful :bow:

I'd go with Queen Is Dead as a first buy (Cemetry Gates, There is a Light.., Bigmouth Strikes Again:drool:) - though I don't think you can go that wrong with any of their albums - most of their stuff is pretty damn good.

You really should just get the singles CD first. It's loaded with great songs that you can sink your teeth into. Then start buying other salbums once you "get" them and what they are about.

The Smiths are excellent.

and while I agree that Queen is Dead is a sweet album, you might wanna go with Singles.. thats where I started, and it really hit the nail on the head.

You will recognize "How soon is Now" as soon as you hear it...

Numb1075 said:
"there is a light that never goes out" BLOWS MY FFFing MIND everytime i hear it

Couldn't agree more, Numb, but I've just finished copying some Smiths/Morrissey stuff for my niece, & just listened to The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils from Morrissey's Southpaw Grammar, forgot how brilliant that track is, awesome, the guy is a musical frigging GENIUS!!!

They're pretty good.

How Soon Is Now? is one of the best songs of all time, and The Queen Is Dead is a really good album. I don't think they're really my thing overall, but I can see how they'd be so appealing to certain people. I'd say if anyone hasn't yet, definitely give them a chance. :up:

TheQuiet1 said:

:yes: ...which also happens to be the only The Smiths song I've ever heard... :reject:

You can pick up Singles or 'The Very Best Of The Smiths' in Tesco's for next to nothing, Quiet1. Don't eat this week and go buy a CD instead!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom