Tell me about Montréal... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 PM
wink Tell me about Montréal...

I know nothing about this city, and the internet isn't very helpful.

Tell me all about it, but also tell me about the media/art industry there. Inquiring minds want to know.

Melon

Old 12-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:48 PM
I enjoy going to montreal

its clean and seems safe The old part is wonderful...they have a fantastic hotel called Hotel Nelagan..sp? its so romantic...my hubby took me there when we got engaged in July

the Bell Centre is a good place to see a show The Biodome is pretty cool....uuuuh...I have to think and come back.

we go there alot, are you thinking about a trip there melon?

Old 12-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:48 PM
I really like Montreal.

It is a city made up of neighborhoods....the type of city you can explore for years...and not get tired of it. And feels very international...despite being in North America.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled
we go there alot, are you thinking about a trip there melon?
A bit more dramatic than that. There's a good chance I'll be moving in that direction in the next couple of years. Long story.

That's why I'm interested in their media/art jobs out there.

Melon
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
I really like Montreal.

It is a city made up of neighborhoods....the type of city you can explore for years...and not get tired of it. And feels very international...despite being in North America.
yes I totally agree about the international feel

thats cool Melon
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Montreal is a big, beautiful city with great people. The music scene is incredible there too(think Arcade Fire). Oh, and the U2 crowds! WOW! I went deaf from the crowd on 28/11, not the music. It took me days to get my hearing all the way back, that show was madness!

One piece of advice though, don't ever drive in that city The drivers are nuts and the signs are terribly designed and placed. But that would just be my experience
Old 12-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

politically speaking, on a federal level, montreal is the liberals stronghold. without it, they couldn't really count on more than five or six seats in the entire province.

montreal promotes leftist evils, such as europeanism, and the like. i highly doubt you'd like it, melon, and i'd recommend you look at moving to alabama - err, i mean alberta instead.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

MANitoba

The only downfall to Montreal...it is a vaction spot for New Yorkers.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

which new york? new york state or new york the city?

cause i need to know
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
which new york? new york state or new york the city?

cause i need to know
Last time I was there, I was THIS close (THIS CLOSE) to putting my hands around the throat of this older woman from the NYC area. I was going to squeeze until her wig popped off. She was being rude.

Yeah...tour buses and Amtrak trains. Straight from NYC.

But otherwise, its quite the charming place (Montreal...not the greater NYC area)
Old 12-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

Last time I was there, I was THIS close (THIS CLOSE) to putting my hands around the throat of this older woman from the NYC area. I was going to squeeze until her wig popped off. She was being rude.

Yeah...tour buses and Amtrak trains. Straight from NYC.

But otherwise, its quite the charming place (Montreal...not the greater NYC area)
Anger issues...

I LOVE TORONTO !!! Maybe I'd love Montreal, maybe I'll go there next year...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW

Anger issues...
Seriously!

I had to walk out of the hotel.

I will tell the story some other day.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Montreal is nice but cold like hell in winter.

The old quarter is interesting, European (complete w/ cobblestones) and has some really excellent restaurants. I actually prefer the old part of Quebec City to the one in Montreal, but that's not to say it's not nice. It's also great for walking around. McGill University has a lovely (if smallish) campus as well. Oh and I loved it up on Mont Royal, you have some amazing views of the city and the hiking around the area is nice, for an urban setting. Plus it feels like you're miles away from the city when in reality it's just at your feet.

ETA: I know a guy who went to Montreal on an internship which sounds somewhat similar to what you're interested in. He had a degree in Radio and Television Arts from Ryerson University (it's the polytechnic university in Toronto) and got an internship at the French CBC. He was also offered a position at the French version of MuchMusic, but said that when he visited there, he found it to be way too hectic and disorganized. Overall, he felt that bilingualism is a huge, huge, huge asset, certainly without which he would have gotten neither offer. But he came back to Toronto when his contract expired anyway.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Montreal, Montreal, Montreal....

European, North American, world culture, it all collides here. The city is amazing to get to know. The polotics with the English and French and separation go in a big circle round and round and round so basically just ignore them and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere.

In summer, you hear the Formula One cars roar around Parc Jean Drapeau out on the island, watch tennis, visit the Botanical Gardens, enjoy the breezy days and the warm nights, hang out downtown at the Jazz Fest - it's truly a magical time.

In winter, you ice skate on the St. Lawerence under the lights at the Old Port, you watch the Habs, you buy dubious amounts of alcohol, and you have friends over to your place and everyone ends up chatting and standing in the kitchen (kitchen is the main hub of any Quebec house party).

From drunken nights wandering through the Village wondering why you're there, hanging out with swanky folks in the Plateau, the quiet Anglophone charm of Westmount, the suburban-urban NDG, the multicultural (and that's an understatement) Cote des Neges, Montreal is a city of honeycomb communities that all blend together to create one melting pot of awesomeness.

Oh, and if a guy with a big winter coat points a banana at you and says "hey my brother from another mother" on Ste. Catherine street, his name is Hollywood. He is awesome and you should give him some money for being so awesome.

And say 'hi' to Spoon Man, he is usually playing the spoons to French Canadian music outside Ogilvy's department store.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
montreal promotes leftist evils, such as europeanism, and the like. i highly doubt you'd like it, melon, and i'd recommend you look at moving to alabama - err, i mean alberta instead.

i just got back from visiting montreal a few weeks ago, melon and i loved it.

yes it is very european, and the food is amazing! and anitram is right - being bilingual would be a decided advantage. in the city practically everyone speaks french and english. or they started out speaking french, and when they heard me mangling their language, they quickly reverted to english.

but really, it's a wonderful place in terms of the culture and the people. i may look into teaching there, but i have a feeling that there are so few english-only schools that, with my limited french, an english teaching position would be hard to come by.