Telemarketers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger Edge

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I get this kind of phone call once a week at work:
  • Them: Hello, we are giving you a free trial website for your company, can you please confirm this information we have and we will give you your free website, NO COST TO YOU!
    Me: No, thank you, we already have a website.
    Them: Well you can have a second one.
    Me: I think we can live with one website, goodbye.
    Them: Please, I just want to confirm this information.
    Me: No. Goodbye!
    Them: May I have your full name so I can log this phone call.
    Me: May I have your full name and phone number so I can call you and harass you when I please too?! *click*
:mad:

And I also get these recorded calls that start off like this:
Hello! (pause long enough for you to say hello back) This is John with Complete Business Mortgage with a free deal for your company...:blahblah:
And even though you press 9 to block the automated calls they keep calling anyways.
I'm tempted to listen long enough for a phone number so I can jot it down, call, ask for John and pretend to be a machine back in his face. :grumpy:

I have no sympathy for you if you work as a telemarketer. :madspit:

I hear ya! :sigh:

This is somewhat similar. I have had the following situation happen to me several times, at a book store like Barnes & Noble...

Well dressed gentleman sees me browsing thru a book that I'm thinking of getting.

Him: Ah, I love that author!
Me (being friendly): Oh yeah? Have you read this one?
Him: Yes. It's her best one yet!
Me: Cool. It does look interesting. Maybe I'll get it. Thanks!
Him: No problem. So what do you do?
Me: Uh... Me? I'm a student... (back when I was one)
Him: Oh really? Where?
Me: Rutgers University?
Him: Excellent. So have you thought of doing something profitable in your spare time?
Me: Not really, I don't have the time. Semester's busy.
Him: Nevertheless take my card here, I have an e-business opportunity that might really help you get a head start on your career! Or better yet, gimme your phone number.
Me: :| Okay, here's my number. *gives a fake one*

These people go to book stores simply to get (more like badger) young students to join their business! Nice place for recruitment, eh?

As soon as I hear the voice of the I hang up..:mad:

Can't stand telemarketers...:angry:

Let's start a petition on this and make sure those telemarketers never call us again!:mad: :wink:

What ever happened to the do-not-call list? :(

I stopped telling them to blacklist our company like 6 months ago because honestly, what's the point. A new company pops up every day to come and harass you.
And sometimes they don't even tell you the company name. It's such a scam.

:lol: Zoots.

That's exactly how the military used to approach me in phone calls. Call me up, pretend to be my friends, crack a few jokes, wear a club tie, give a firm handshake, a sudden look in the eyes and an eaaaaaaasy smile... Wait that's something else. :wink:
I used to get an army recruiter phone call every week at home or on my cell phone!
I always made appointments with them because they were so polite on the phone but I never kept them. :reject:

Last edited:
PlaTheGreat said:
Call me up, pretend to be my friends, crack a few jokes, wear a club tie, give a firm handshake, a sudden look in the eyes and an eaaaaaaasy smile... Wait that's something else. :wink:

:lmao: :heart:

tpsglick2424 said:
As soon as I hear the voice of the I hang up..:mad:

Same.

I always know its a telemarketer right off the bat because they struggle trying to pronounce my last name. "Hello is this Christine.... V..... eee ... "

*click*

grumpywave.gif

Sicy said:

I always know its a telemarketer right off the bat because they struggle trying to pronounce my last name

That's one of the benefits of having a difficult to pronounce name(especially for dim telemarketers) . It makes it easy to screen calls.

ntalwar said:

That's one of the benefits of having a difficult to pronounce name(especially for dim telemarketers) . It makes it easy to screen calls.

Yep. That's how we catch our telemarketers before they have a chance to promote whatever it was they want to sell. My father's first name is French and his surname is Afrikaans. :lol:

There's usually a pause after you say hello for their machine to patch itself in, so it gives you time to realize it's a telemarketer, and to hang up.

When I signed up for my home phone, they botched the spelling of my last name. At first it annoyed me, but now it works to my benefit when it comes to telemarketers. If anyone calls and asks for Ms. (botched last name) I tell them that she no longer lives here. :lol:

I once got into an argument with a guy who tried to insist that Ms. Botched last name lived there, and his records were not wrong. I gave up and started laughing, then hung up on him.

I'm normally a nice person, but I have absolutely no mercy or sympathy for telemarketers.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Me: (I say my company name)
Them: (He asks for my boss)
Me: He's with a patient at the moment. And you'd have to speak to our office manager about changing phone services.
Them: Fine, here's my number.
Me: (mocks writing it down)
Them: And give me your office manager's name.
Me: She doesn't care for it to be given out.
Them: I need her name.
Me: No, she'll call you.
Them: Then how will I know who she is when she calls me back?!
What I'd like to say: Listen smartass, I've had enough of your :censored:!
Me: Welllllllll, you asked for my boss, right?
Them: Yes.
Me: Then the office manager will say, I am the office manager of (boss's name)'s business.
Them: *silence*

BOOSH!

Me - 1
Telemarketers - 0

martha said:
Do Not Call list :drool:

I'm on that, but it doesn't always work. Some foreign-based companies still call, and Dish network seems to ignore the list even though they've been fined in the past.

Hah, for a couple of months I have worked at a call centre, although it's incoming-calls taking orders from the US. The hilarious thing is that even we get telemarketers and auto-dialers calling our lines based in the US, despite the fact that the operators of those lines might be in the next office over for all we know.

:lol:

aren't telemarketers going to be able to call cell phones soon though? I could've swore I heard something about that not too long ago, and to put your cell phone number on some do not call list now before the cell phone numbers are publically released...I cn't remember the exact thing now

martha said:
Do Not Call list :drool:

I have 5 numbers, all on the Do Not Call list. But that doesn't stop them! I get telemarketing faxes DAILY, no matter how many times I try & get my name removed. A couple of weeks ago I got spam text messages! I tried to respond to tell them to :censored: and it bounced back. But I'm still charged for incoming & outgoing texts :mad: I do have 1 home line with caller ID, but I still hate seeing "private caller" or "unknown caller", because sometimes they are still friends. We've had a friend call from Australia on several occasions, and we almost didn't answer because of the ID.

My husband finds that this works well in response:

fartmachine2.jpg

PlaTheGreat

Me: (I say my company name)
Them: (He asks for my boss)
Me: He's with a patient at the moment. And you'd have to speak to our office manager about changing phone services.
Them: Fine, here's my number.
Me: (mocks writing it down)
Them: And give me your office manager's name.
Me: She doesn't care for it to be given out.
Them: I need her name.
Me: No, she'll call you.
Them: Then how will I know who she is when she calls me back?!
What I'd like to say: Listen smartass, I've had enough of your !
Me: Welllllllll, you asked for my boss, right?
Them: Yes.
Me: Then the office manager will say, I am the office manager of (boss's name)'s business.
Them: *silence*

BOOSH!

Me - 1
Telemarketers - 0

ZING!

bono_212

aren't telemarketers going to be able to call cell phones soon though? I could've swore I heard something about that not too long ago, and to put your cell phone number on some do not call list now before the cell phone numbers are publically released...I cn't remember the exact thing now

:ohmy: NOOO NOOO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

martha

Foreign based companies!

:(

Has anyone started the petition since I asked a page ago? :eyebrow:

tiny dancer said:

Since I been on this this list I never get any calls at all. :up:

Same for me. I'm surprised that other people get alot of telemarketing calls even when they are on the list. Maybe depending on where you live, you'll have more calls get through. Then again I live in one of the nation's largest telemarketing hubs and don't get calls. Who knows? Complain to your congressman or congresswoman.

Telemarketers probaly have the best job though..They call people and annoy the hell out of them...I'd love making money that way:wink:

Back
Top Bottom