Telemarketers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in a condo and get harrassed by a gutter company and a lawn care company. :huh: There aren't many people who know our phone number, so lately if it's not a parent, a sibling, or a local friend calling, I pick up and hang up right away.

Now what do I do about the lady who calls every Saturday around 3 pm and repeatedly asks for Brian?

Well, it's not telemarking, but it's kind of related...

"...and you know what they called that hurricane? Bob. I don't know a lot, but I know this: Bob is not a hurricane. Bob is an insurance salesman from Topeka, Kansas. You meet Bob when you're stuck in an airport cocktail lounge for two hours because the airport's been watching the weather channel. And you're stuck next to Bob and Bob starts talking about his wife and kids, and he buys you some drinks, and he shows you pictures of the family, and you start to think, 'Hey, Bob's not a bad guy'. And then Bob tries to sell you insurance and you have to go, 'Fuck you, Bob!' That is a Bob."

Schmeg said:
I live in a condo and get harrassed by a gutter company

I took care of this one Tuesday morning. They asked for Brian. I told them Brian does not live here and take us off your list - we live in a condo! :D

Sometimes I say "She (or he) is dead" when telemarketers call. That usually leaves 'em speechless for a moment. And then I hang up. :)

Hey we can make a game out of it:happy:

:lmao:

"Scoring:

Basic Point System:

For each minute spent on the phone 10 pts.
Getting transfered to someone who makes
more than minimum wage 15 pts
For each minute spent on the phone with
person making more than minimum wage 25 pts

Bonus Points:

Getting them to repeat part of the "script" 5 pts/each
Getting answers to stupid questions 15 pts/each
Changing the subject 50 pts/each
Making the sales person angry 175 pts
Making the sales person use profanity 750 pts
Get their boss on the phone, and tell them
the salesman used profanity 1500 pts
Getting their 1-800- number 10 pts
Posting their 1-800- number to alt.sex as
a free "Phone Sex" line 50 pts
Checking the number a week later and it is
busy or disconnected 5000 pts"

Schmeg said:
I live in a condo and get harrassed by a gutter company and a lawn care company. :huh: There aren't many people who know our phone number, so lately if it's not a parent, a sibling, or a local friend calling, I pick up and hang up right away.

Now what do I do about the lady who calls every Saturday around 3 pm and repeatedly asks for Brian?

the problem is that you pick up the phone in the first place.

Schmeg said:

You can say that he died but that would be really harsh... :lol:

You can play around with these telemarketers by talking their ear off! One of my friends did that and the telemarketer got so mad and hung up on him. :giggle:

Got a call from a call centre just this morning so it's fresh in my mind.

This is 100% genuine.

Him - Hello, I'm calling from the Government, I was wondering if you could answer some Questions.

Me - OK

Him - Is it right that the BBC first started trading in 1922?

Me - ermm yes, think it was from Alexandra Palace in London.

Him - And it's a commercial company isnt it?

Me - Are you sure you're calling from the Government?

Him - Yes

Me - Well then you'd know it's not a commercial company, it's funded by the Government's licence fee.

Him - Does the BBC employ over 50 people?

Me - About twenty five thousand actually.

Him - And has the BBC advertised any jobs in the past twelve months?

Me - Well clearly yes.

Him - Is the BBC in the North or the South of England.

Me - You really aren't calling from the Government are you?

Him - Yes.

Me - Well it kind of covers the entire country, if not - the World.

(this carried on for a couple more minutes, before I said about 5 times, I think you're speaking to the wrong person - finally lost patience and put the phone down)

Last edited:
:lol:
I love/hate those calls. I love hearing about them and I hate getting them.

That reminds me of a survey phone call I once got from a Consumer Group. I was bored waiting for my ride to go out on a Saturday night and decided to do it since it would only take up "a few minutes of my time."

:mad:

More like 20.

She kept asking me if I had seen this Burger King/McDonald's/Wendy's/KFC...blah blah blah commercial. Everytime I said no she went into a in-depth explanation about each one! I thought she was joking the first time but then she did it again!
"In this commercial, two teenagers dressed in plain clothes jump into a vehicle while the McDonald's theme song plays in the background. They go to the drive thru of the McDonalds and order Big Macs with big smiles on their faces...:blahblah:

2 minutes later...

Have you seen this commercial?

NO. :mad:

In the end my ride showed up and I was still on the phone. I kept telling the woman, I have to go. I'm hanging up.
Please! Just three more questions!!

NO.

NOOOOOO!

i was a telemarketer for a week and i got some pretty mean people on the other end. it was a harsh job i wouldnt wish on anyone.

i registered my phone with the do not call list. i hope it works.

U2Man said:
They always call you while you're eating dinner at home.

Oh. My. God. Yes!!!! You would think if they wanted to sell something they wouldn't call at tea time. I had a humouros call the ohter day. And I'm only 15 :wink:

I have dealt with telemarketers in interesting ways before, because I'm from Philly and we all have chips on our shoulders.

The best was with someone from the Inquirer - their delivery services are awful - which lasted a good five minutes with me bashing them to no end. I bought the paper the next day.

Back
Top Bottom