Tedy Bruschi Hospitalized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hewson

Blue Crack Supplier
From today's Boston Herald:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=69028

Bruschi scare -- Pats star hospitalized with headaches
By Laura Crimaldi
Thursday, February 17, 2005

Charismatic New England Patriots [stats, news] linebacker Tedy Bruschi [news] was hospitalized yesterday after complaining of headaches just days after capping a Super Bowl-winning road trip with his first appearance at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

One source told the Herald Bruschi lost some vision in one eye, but the sight was returning. A team official said he was up ``walking and talking.''

The 31-year-old inside linebacker is being evaluated in the exclusive Phillips House at Massachusetts General Hospital where he was admitted after arriving at the hospital by ambulance.

``After complaining of headaches earlier today, Tedy Bruschi was admitted (to MGH),'' Patriots spokesman Stacey James said in a statement last night. ``He is in good condition and will be held for further evaluations.

``The Bruschi family appreciates everyone's concern, but requests that you respect their privacy at this time.''

Several sources said the player had been rushed to the Boston hospital by ambulance from his home in North Attleboro and may have suffered a stroke.

One source said Bruschi had suffered a stroke, but it appeared to be a minor stroke since he was being treated at the Phillips House rather than in a critical care unit.

CBS-4 reported Bruschi also suffered partial paralysis.

James would not confirm or deny that Bruschi had suffered a stroke. More tests are scheduled for today and a source at the hospital said he was under the care of a team doctor.

Team owner Robert Kraft, who declined comment while attending last night's Boston College-Rutgers basketball game, visited Bruschi at MGH, sources said.

Bruschi, who was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated just before the Pats won their third Super Bowl in four years, is a fan favorite and a key component of the Pats' defense. As the team took the field in Jacksonville, Fla., some New Englanders unfurled a banner reading, ``Bruschi Full Tilt Full Time.''

Cameras worldwide captured the 6-foot-1, 247-pounder playing with two of his young sons - 4-year-old Tedy Jr. and 2-year-old Rex - on the field before the kickoff. Bruschi's wife, Heidi, gave birth to a third boy, Dante, last month.

A nine-year NFL veteran, he made a key interception in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl as the Patriots downed Philadelphia, 24-21. He flew home for the victory parade in Boston before jetting off to Honolulu for the Pro Bowl, which was played last Sunday.

The University of Arizona product was a third-round pick in the 1996 NFL draft. Then a defensive end, he made the transition to inside linebacker. Along the way, he also gave up booze. He is now featured in a ``Got Milk?'' ad.

I hope they'll be some good news soon

Nice

capt.flrb10102171945.red_sox_spring_flrb101.jpg

Is that what Bledsoe had, a broken blood vessel? I can't remember

Bruschi broke blood vessel in head

By Ron Borges, Globe Staff | February 17, 2005

Tedy Bruschi will remain in Massachusetts General Hospital while he undergoes more tests after suffering a broken blood vessel in his head, a Patriots team source told the Globe.

Bruschi is "sitting up in bed'' and talking, the source said.

The Patriots' Pro Bowl linebacker was admitted to the hospital Wednesday after suffering from persistent headaches and partial paralysis. The paralysis is now gone.

A Patriots spokesman said Wednesday night that Bruschi was in "good condition.'

Drew Bledsoe ruptured a blood vessel somewhere in his chest when he got hit and suffered massive internal bleeding.

Sounds like he's recovering well from news reports this morning, up and about, walking and talking, showing no obvious residual effects. But they still don't know the cause, and whetehr he plays again (which is certainly a secondary concern at this point) is a question that won't be answered for some time.

Based on the fact that he's walking and talking, in a 31-year-old, it sounds like he could be able to play [football again]. ... But things could change quickly. If he happens to have some numbness that persists, that may affect his playing. ”

Well having a stroke increases your risk for another one. I can't see him ever taking that risk. Also obviously the risk of hits.

There's also, to be blunt, maybe an insurance issue for the NFL

This was in an article I read

Brian Mullen of the NHL's New York Islanders attempted a comeback two years after suffering a mild stroke and undergoing surgery to correct the heart problem that caused it in 1993. He had a seizure during his training and retired when no team would take a chance on him.

Houston Astros pitcher J.R. Richard, one of the most dominant right-handers of the late 1970's, had his career cut short when he suffered a blockage-caused stroke in 1980 at age 30. His comeback attempt was also unsuccessful.

Well, I'm sure they will continue to evaluate him and see how things go. If they determine he would be OK to play again, then he probably will. On the other hand, he's got two young boys and a new baby, so if there is any risk at all, I'm sure he wouldn't take the chance.

im sure a decision on his career won't even be made until late summer when he has a chance to be re-evaluated and fully recover.

i hope he gets well, and my guess is that he actually retires, which is fine by me given the circumstance. great guy. horrible thing to happen.

im sure the patriots will be drafting a linebacker or two this april.

The Pats were likely to be looking for a linebacker in April's draft anyway, but it just jumped a notch on the priority level. He was walking very slowly on the news clip, they say his peripheral vision isn't 100% yet, I'd be very surprised if he plays again.
Tis a shame.

Hewson said:
they say his peripheral vision isn't 100% yet

I didn't know that :(

Knowing the way the Patriots minimize things like this, I'm afraid it could be much worse than they're saying. It's his private business of course.

He said yesterday that he will play next season

That makes me very nervous. I haven't read the article in the paper, but I assume he never would unless it was safe according to several doctors,but still... He did say he came very close to dying, a couple of millimeters difference in where the clot was and he would have.

At this point he's gonna say he intends to play next season, but I doubt that decision will really be made until next July or so.

Back
Top Bottom