technology and sport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
at what point should governing bodies intervene as sport equipment manufacturers continue to revolutionize the game with advanced equipment? how 'pure' should a sport be kept? should 'innovation' be stifled?

this is most notable in golf, but to my knowledge has also recieved significant attention in the recent past in hockey(the synergy stick) and speed skating(those new design skates).

does anyone have any thoughts?

if you are referring to instant replay in the context of american football(where IR can reverse the outcome of a play or game) then yes i would include instant replay.

this has also been an issue in hockey.

The NBA recently announced that it would implement instant replay, but only for last-second shots and 3-point shots, which tend to be missed fairly often. In situations such as those, as well as to check crease infractions in hockey, it makes sense to go back and check if the opportunity is available to do so.

One big example I can think of is that fact that professional baseball does not, and hopefully never will, allow aluminum bats. It's bad enough that college scores always look like football scores (21-17). Imagine what a major leaguer could do with those bats. In that case it makes sense to restrict the equipment used.

Also, in some ways one might consider drugs an "advancement" in technology that is being limited by leagues and governing bodies to keep the sport pure, and to protect the long term health of athletes.

I don't see that much problems with technology in sports. They've been doing that throughout history. Sport equipment simply evolve just as everything else, and as long as it essentially alters the game (making it a completely different game) there's no problem with it since the motto of games will always be: Citius Fortius Altius (Swifter, Higher, Stronger)

Back
Top Bottom