Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #526
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
I've been to Tokyo (Airport) and Cairns (Airport)

For the longest time i'd only been to Christchurch Airport and i think that i didn't even get off the plane for that.
We stopped in Singapore airport too... except I'm convinced that the airport covers most of Singapore itself, so it might as well count as being in Singapore.

Saw on the news last night that Beijing's new airport is now the world's biggest, having pipped Heathrow...

One's first meal of the day should not occur at 3.20pm. I hope I was supposed to starve whatever germs I've got...
Everything tastes wrong anyway.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #527
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Wow, you totally need to do more of the South Island. One side of my family's from Central Otago, so I know it well. In fact, because of the influence of my Nan (from Earnscleugh, just outside Alexandra) on my mother and her in turn on me, some of my speech resembles that from Central Otago.
When i went to Christchurch i was very close to taking the train to Greymouth, but we were concerned that we'd be cutting it fine with getting to the airport for our flight back to Wellington.

My grandmother was from Invercargill and my parents lived in Dunedin for the longest time, so i wouldn't mind visiting them, as well as the really beautiful parts of the South Island as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #528
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And come on, Chicago's O'Hare is a town unto itself. I've been to Illinois! O'Hare is good enough!
I was very impressed by the automatic train that took you from the terminal to the car parks there!

I've been to three US states too, plus Washington DC airport (whatever it's called)... that was my first stop in the US. I didn't get fingerprinted or eye-scanned or probed or searched or anything! All that paranoia for nothing...
The guy just looked at the bottom of my shoes cos I'd been in rural bits of England, although not near where foot-and-mouth broke out.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Greetings from Cockburn, WA

All you people do is push around old stiffs.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #530
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:

According to Wikipedia: "The name comes from the tale of a Māori chief who died after rolling over in his sleep while lying too close to a camp fire."

what's our next thread name? cockburn or are we gonna move on from down under for a bit?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #531
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Blue line, always has. but unlike more well-thought-out airports, the blue line is just kinda near the airport, you have to take a shuttle bus from the terminals to get to it.

a holiday doesn't win if it's literally 4 days before summer break and just prolongs the school year.

i've been to just under 20 states sans airports. i don't think i've been to o'hare - when i went to chicago i took the train.

actually you'd appreciate this, like 6 years ago my mom and i took a train trip from boston-ny-philly-pittsburgh-chicago-dc-boston to see baseball games in all those cities (well maryland, the nationals hadn't been moved to dc yet)
Ahh, right, that would probably be why I was unaware of it. And it sounds like it was probably just easier to get the shuttle given my hotel's location anyway.

I like a holiday at any time! Days off FTW.

I've been to six states plus DC if you count airports. MA, TN, and KY properly, plus CA, IL, VA, and DC. I need to come back and do more.

And WOW, that sounds like a fantastic train trip. I'm jealous. One day I'm going to travel around Australia by train. With so many cancellations, that's getting hard to do in New Zealand though, except when enthusiast excursions run.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #532
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

We stopped in Singapore airport too... except I'm convinced that the airport covers most of Singapore itself, so it might as well count as being in Singapore.
I'd have preferred to have stopped in Singapores airport rather than a closed Narita with meal vouchers that were only valid for weekdays.

The plane that was meant to take us from Sydney -> Tokyo broke down for some reason so we had to wait in the airline lounge in Sydney (i tried to eat and drink as much of my moneys worth as i could), then go via Cairns to get to Tokyo where we would be unable to catch our British Airways flight so we had to hang around for a few hours to wait for that.

I'd love to do more travel like that, as a plane geek i could sit at most airports in the world for ages, positively enthralled.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #533
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

what's our next thread name? cockburn or are we gonna move on from down under for a bit?
Fernando de Noronha
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #534
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Cockburn is actually a last name in my family. Pronounced co-burn.

I think we should go to Inaccessible Island.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I was very impressed by the automatic train that took you from the terminal to the car parks there!

I've been to three US states too, plus Washington DC airport (whatever it's called)... that was my first stop in the US. I didn't get fingerprinted or eye-scanned or probed or searched or anything! All that paranoia for nothing...
The guy just looked at the bottom of my shoes cos I'd been in rural bits of England, although not near where foot-and-mouth broke out.
There's two, National (renamed reagan but liberals refuse to call it that) and Dulles.

I never, ever check off that farmland bit even if it's true. why go through the hassle?

the most security i ever saw was probably last time I flew thru heathrow, they'd added an extra shoe-scanning machine. however i still got a mini bottle of wine through by accident that they then caught in toronto when scanning my stuff to connect to the us. I was like "oh shit, well throw it out" and the baggage checker was a n00b and tagged and bagged it and generally took forever until his supervisor came over and said to just throw it out.

it's really weird how canada has US customs and US customs officers. I don't think we do that for them.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #536
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Stuff that old amazes me. I remember walking around places like London just being in awe of how old the buildings were.

I visited the area around Brighton/Newhaven where my mother grew up... there are churches there that are like 800 years old. Crazy. And I saw the oldest building in Scotland, I think... St Margaret's chapel in Edinburgh Castle... built in 1100-and something, or thereabouts.

And the Roman stuff in Bath...

Heck, Stonehenge, for that matter! *mind boggles*
Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #537
Vocal parasite

Quote:
plus Washington DC airport (whatever it's called)...
RONALD REAGAN AIRPORT.

Worst. Airport name. Ever.

Fuck I hate Reagan. Not a bad airport though. I liked it more than Dulles.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #538
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
the most security i ever saw was probably last time I flew thru heathrow, they'd added an extra shoe-scanning machine. however i still got a mini bottle of wine through by accident that they then caught in toronto when scanning my stuff to connect to the us. I was like "oh shit, well throw it out" and the baggage checker was a n00b and tagged and bagged it and generally took forever until his supervisor came over and said to just throw it out.
I got my deodorant taken off me when i flew to Wellington last year - all because it didn't have a lid.

For. Fucks. Sake. And i had to stand around and wait for a little form to be filled out.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #539
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Cockburn is actually a last name in my family. Pronounced co-burn.

I think we should go to Inaccessible Island.

cock-burn.

Inaccessible Island would be fun, where is that?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #540
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Ahh, right, that would probably be why I was unaware of it. And it sounds like it was probably just easier to get the shuttle given my hotel's location anyway.

I like a holiday at any time! Days off FTW.

I've been to six states plus DC if you count airports. MA, TN, and KY properly, plus CA, IL, VA, and DC. I need to come back and do more.

And WOW, that sounds like a fantastic train trip. I'm jealous. One day I'm going to travel around Australia by train. With so many cancellations, that's getting hard to do in New Zealand though, except when enthusiast excursions run.
i have never been to tn or ky. i haven't been to the south except FL. you should do more on the train!

45d

edit - wait did you do all those states in one visit?

Tags
superthread