Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #466
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 02:28 AM
She's baaaaack!

I love all the songs left in the poll but that was a ripoff.
Was Mofo a single, that didn't make it onto the Best Ofs? (a la The Fly)

Venice has gondolas... some might argue that they're more civilised than trams...
__________________

__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #467
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
I love all the songs left in the poll but that was a ripoff.
Was Mofo a single, that didn't make it onto the Best Ofs? (a la The Fly)
Yes, Mofo was a single, albeit remixed. So was Please. I can't believe Please didn't make the Best Of.

Quote:
Venice has gondolas... some might argue that they're more civilised than trams...
Yeah, but ... they don't run on rails. Thus, EPIC PHAIL.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #468
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:28 AM
the green line goes underground and above ground. it's the one I take most as one of its lines ends right by my house, though I take the bus more than that

boston's got the oldest subway system in america, with some really old trains and "trams" that are finally being replaced. my big complaint is that all the lines run through the middle of the city so you have to go in to go out a lot of the time.

your "cool station" must either be north station or park street. probably you are talking about north station where the fleet center is.
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #469
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Boston has trams (we call them trolleys) and culture. so there.
Also, further to this, Boston's tram line doesn't cover that much area, while Melbourne's tram network is the second largest in the world.

I believe St Petersburg has the largest but that some outer extremities have fallen into disrepair.

Also, Boston's in a country with George Bush as President. Some culture.

No, I loved Boston. My favourite Northern Hemisphere city. I still can't believe I went to a fucking park older than my country, despite this being the supposed "New World". New World my arse. The US is the Old World if you're a Kiwi.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #470
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
the green line goes underground and above ground. it's the one I take most as one of its lines ends right by my house, though I take the bus more than that

boston's got the oldest subway system in america, with some really old trains and "trams" that are finally being replaced. my big complaint is that all the lines run through the middle of the city so you have to go in to go out a lot of the time.

your "cool station" must either be north station or park street. probably you are talking about north station where the fleet center is.
I really enjoyed riding around on the subway system. I went to Wellington! I saw it on the map and had to go. It's the furthest north in the world I've been. When I came back with photos of me by the Wellington station sign, it gave everyone here a good laugh.

Melbourne's mostly the same with lines converging on the city. There are a few cross-suburban routes, but not nearly enough. None where it would be convenient for me!

And yes, North Station would be it. I was staying at a hotel on the red line and I remember I had to change trains to get to the Fleet Centre.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #471
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
I am about to go, but I am watching Hillary make more of a fool for herself

http://gawker.com/361453/hillary-cli...he-shouldnt-be
That was awesome.

HILLARY = OWNED.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


I really enjoyed riding around on the subway system. I went to Wellington! I saw it on the map and had to go. It's the furthest north in the world I've been. When I came back with photos of me by the Wellington station sign, it gave everyone here a good laugh.

Melbourne's mostly the same with lines converging on the city. There are a few cross-suburban routes, but not nearly enough. None where it would be convenient for me!

And yes, North Station would be it. I was staying at a hotel on the red line and I remember I had to change trains to get to the Fleet Centre.
I used to go past wellington all the time on the way to malden. you changed trains at park street - what hotel did you stay at/where on the red line? did you ever go over the charles river bridge during the day? it's a gorgeous view.

wow furthest north??? i had to think on this but montreal or ireland, whichever is more north, for me.
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Also, further to this, Boston's tram line doesn't cover that much area, while Melbourne's tram network is the second largest in the world.

I believe St Petersburg has the largest but that some outer extremities have fallen into disrepair.

Also, Boston's in a country with George Bush as President. Some culture.

No, I loved Boston. My favourite Northern Hemisphere city. I still can't believe I went to a fucking park older than my country, despite this being the supposed "New World". New World my arse. The US is the Old World if you're a Kiwi.
yeah boston's probably a much smaller city. we've got our commuter rail (purple line) that goes out into the 'burbs with heavy locomotives or whatever you call them driving the trains.

it's not our fault we have bush, MA has gone democratic in every presidential election in basically the last century, even the one where we were the only state to go dem and the one where we were one of two states. we also are the only state with an all-dem congressional delegation.

which park? boston gardens or something more interesting like the arboretum (which is in my neighborhood)? we've got the whole emerald neclace, it is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Alisaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 30,442
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Yes, Mofo was a single, albeit remixed. So was Please. I can't believe Please didn't make the Best Of.
That surprised me too, when I learned that Please had been a single.
Quote:

Yeah, but ... they don't run on rails. Thus, EPIC PHAIL.
Oh I see... if there are no rails, it's not civilised...

You must love the light rail network... tram and train all rolled into one!
__________________
Alisaura is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #475
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
I used to go past wellington all the time on the way to malden. you changed trains at park street - what hotel did you stay at/where on the red line? did you ever go over the charles river bridge during the day? it's a gorgeous view.

wow furthest north??? i had to think on this but montreal or ireland, whichever is more north, for me.
Bloody hell, I can't remember the name of the hotel now. I think I stayed near Andrew station. And yes, I went over the river! That was really nice. I did that the day of the third show. We walked all around Boston, climbed that obelisk thing at Bunker Hill, and got totally worn out before the gig. Not the smartest of moves. I was so buggered by the end of the night that I could barely stand.

I bet I've been much further south than you, at least (Kaitangata, New Zealand).
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #476
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


Bloody hell, I can't remember the name of the hotel now. I think I stayed near Andrew station. And yes, I went over the river! That was really nice. I did that the day of the third show. We walked all around Boston, climbed that obelisk thing at Bunker Hill, and got totally worn out before the gig. Not the smartest of moves. I was so buggered by the end of the night that I could barely stand.

I bet I've been much further south than you, at least (Kaitangata, New Zealand).
Andrew's in the other direction from the river, which makes sense if you were going for a cheap hotel. I have never been to Bunker Hill but Boston does get the silliest school holiday ever - bunker hill day in june which usually is a day off about 4 days before the end of the school year. it's like, get it over with already!

i'm still jealous of 3rd boston.

i've been as far south as right below the equator. i was a huge geek and poored water down a drain on both sides and right on the equator - it's quite disconcerting to see it shoot straight down! actually i guess i was on a plane that was at the nairobi airoport for a bit so that was a little further south.

some day i'll go to antartica.
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #477
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
yeah boston's probably a much smaller city. we've got our commuter rail (purple line) that goes out into the 'burbs with heavy locomotives or whatever you call them driving the trains.

it's not our fault we have bush, MA has gone democratic in every presidential election in basically the last century, even the one where we were the only state to go dem and the one where we were one of two states. we also are the only state with an all-dem congressional delegation.

which park? boston gardens or something more interesting like the arboretum (which is in my neighborhood)? we've got the whole emerald neclace, it is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace
It doesn't help that you guys ripped out most of your trams and are left with just the green line and that Mattapan stub off part of the red line. Looks like you've got good commuter trains there, both above ground and underground. Melbourne also has an extensive commuter rail network, which I haven't explored much as I am served much better by trams in the inner suburbs.

And wow, go MA. That's pretty impressive. Still, you just gave the world Mitt Romney.

I wish I'd seen more of the Emerald Necklace. I was referring to the Boston Common. Founded in, what, 1635? Abel Tasman didn't sight New Zealand until 1642 and European settlement didn't seriously begin until 1840. Hell, not even the Maori migrated there until about AD 1000. Boston struck me as astonishingly old, it was amazing. I bet Europe would blow me away completely.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 10:28 AM
oh and if you're ever in boston again and i'm actually there i'll take you on a tour of the train line, to the train yards, etc and to see the new silver line.

wow i can't wait for the boy/october/war remasters, i'm listening to october right now and it could use it.
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 04:28 AM
I've been north of Inverness in Scotland and as far south as Dunedin.

That's not a bad effort.
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #480
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

That surprised me too, when I learned that Please had been a single.

Oh I see... if there are no rails, it's not civilised...

You must love the light rail network... tram and train all rolled into one!
Actually, I don't like the deal with light rail. Light rail = tramway, just some marketing tool trying to make it sound more modern. Though the St Kilda route 96 is interesting given its a tramway laid on an old railway route, so it certainly has that combination about it that makes it great for photography. Not that I've had a chance to photograph it yet.

And yes, railed transport = civilisation.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com