Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #466
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:28 AM
She's baaaaack!

I love all the songs left in the poll but that was a ripoff.
Was Mofo a single, that didn't make it onto the Best Ofs? (a la The Fly)

Venice has gondolas... some might argue that they're more civilised than trams...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #467
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
I love all the songs left in the poll but that was a ripoff.
Was Mofo a single, that didn't make it onto the Best Ofs? (a la The Fly)
Yes, Mofo was a single, albeit remixed. So was Please. I can't believe Please didn't make the Best Of.

Quote:
Venice has gondolas... some might argue that they're more civilised than trams...
Yeah, but ... they don't run on rails. Thus, EPIC PHAIL.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #468
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:28 AM
the green line goes underground and above ground. it's the one I take most as one of its lines ends right by my house, though I take the bus more than that

boston's got the oldest subway system in america, with some really old trains and "trams" that are finally being replaced. my big complaint is that all the lines run through the middle of the city so you have to go in to go out a lot of the time.

your "cool station" must either be north station or park street. probably you are talking about north station where the fleet center is.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #469
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
Boston has trams (we call them trolleys) and culture. so there.
Also, further to this, Boston's tram line doesn't cover that much area, while Melbourne's tram network is the second largest in the world.

I believe St Petersburg has the largest but that some outer extremities have fallen into disrepair.

Also, Boston's in a country with George Bush as President. Some culture.

No, I loved Boston. My favourite Northern Hemisphere city. I still can't believe I went to a fucking park older than my country, despite this being the supposed "New World". New World my arse. The US is the Old World if you're a Kiwi.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #470
Vocal parasite

Quote:
the green line goes underground and above ground. it's the one I take most as one of its lines ends right by my house, though I take the bus more than that

boston's got the oldest subway system in america, with some really old trains and "trams" that are finally being replaced. my big complaint is that all the lines run through the middle of the city so you have to go in to go out a lot of the time.

your "cool station" must either be north station or park street. probably you are talking about north station where the fleet center is.
I really enjoyed riding around on the subway system. I went to Wellington! I saw it on the map and had to go. It's the furthest north in the world I've been. When I came back with photos of me by the Wellington station sign, it gave everyone here a good laugh.

Melbourne's mostly the same with lines converging on the city. There are a few cross-suburban routes, but not nearly enough. None where it would be convenient for me!

And yes, North Station would be it. I was staying at a hotel on the red line and I remember I had to change trains to get to the Fleet Centre.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #471
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I am about to go, but I am watching Hillary make more of a fool for herself

http://gawker.com/361453/hillary-cli...he-shouldnt-be
That was awesome.

HILLARY = OWNED.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I really enjoyed riding around on the subway system. I went to Wellington! I saw it on the map and had to go. It's the furthest north in the world I've been. When I came back with photos of me by the Wellington station sign, it gave everyone here a good laugh.

Melbourne's mostly the same with lines converging on the city. There are a few cross-suburban routes, but not nearly enough. None where it would be convenient for me!

And yes, North Station would be it. I was staying at a hotel on the red line and I remember I had to change trains to get to the Fleet Centre.
I used to go past wellington all the time on the way to malden. you changed trains at park street - what hotel did you stay at/where on the red line? did you ever go over the charles river bridge during the day? it's a gorgeous view.

wow furthest north??? i had to think on this but montreal or ireland, whichever is more north, for me.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Also, further to this, Boston's tram line doesn't cover that much area, while Melbourne's tram network is the second largest in the world.

I believe St Petersburg has the largest but that some outer extremities have fallen into disrepair.

Also, Boston's in a country with George Bush as President. Some culture.

No, I loved Boston. My favourite Northern Hemisphere city. I still can't believe I went to a fucking park older than my country, despite this being the supposed "New World". New World my arse. The US is the Old World if you're a Kiwi.
yeah boston's probably a much smaller city. we've got our commuter rail (purple line) that goes out into the 'burbs with heavy locomotives or whatever you call them driving the trains.

it's not our fault we have bush, MA has gone democratic in every presidential election in basically the last century, even the one where we were the only state to go dem and the one where we were one of two states. we also are the only state with an all-dem congressional delegation.

which park? boston gardens or something more interesting like the arboretum (which is in my neighborhood)? we've got the whole emerald neclace, it is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes, Mofo was a single, albeit remixed. So was Please. I can't believe Please didn't make the Best Of.
That surprised me too, when I learned that Please had been a single.
Quote:

Yeah, but ... they don't run on rails. Thus, EPIC PHAIL.
Oh I see... if there are no rails, it's not civilised...

You must love the light rail network... tram and train all rolled into one!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #475
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I used to go past wellington all the time on the way to malden. you changed trains at park street - what hotel did you stay at/where on the red line? did you ever go over the charles river bridge during the day? it's a gorgeous view.

wow furthest north??? i had to think on this but montreal or ireland, whichever is more north, for me.
Bloody hell, I can't remember the name of the hotel now. I think I stayed near Andrew station. And yes, I went over the river! That was really nice. I did that the day of the third show. We walked all around Boston, climbed that obelisk thing at Bunker Hill, and got totally worn out before the gig. Not the smartest of moves. I was so buggered by the end of the night that I could barely stand.

I bet I've been much further south than you, at least (Kaitangata, New Zealand).

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #476
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Bloody hell, I can't remember the name of the hotel now. I think I stayed near Andrew station. And yes, I went over the river! That was really nice. I did that the day of the third show. We walked all around Boston, climbed that obelisk thing at Bunker Hill, and got totally worn out before the gig. Not the smartest of moves. I was so buggered by the end of the night that I could barely stand.

I bet I've been much further south than you, at least (Kaitangata, New Zealand).
Andrew's in the other direction from the river, which makes sense if you were going for a cheap hotel. I have never been to Bunker Hill but Boston does get the silliest school holiday ever - bunker hill day in june which usually is a day off about 4 days before the end of the school year. it's like, get it over with already!

i'm still jealous of 3rd boston.

i've been as far south as right below the equator. i was a huge geek and poored water down a drain on both sides and right on the equator - it's quite disconcerting to see it shoot straight down! actually i guess i was on a plane that was at the nairobi airoport for a bit so that was a little further south.

some day i'll go to antartica.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #477
Vocal parasite

Quote:
yeah boston's probably a much smaller city. we've got our commuter rail (purple line) that goes out into the 'burbs with heavy locomotives or whatever you call them driving the trains.

it's not our fault we have bush, MA has gone democratic in every presidential election in basically the last century, even the one where we were the only state to go dem and the one where we were one of two states. we also are the only state with an all-dem congressional delegation.

which park? boston gardens or something more interesting like the arboretum (which is in my neighborhood)? we've got the whole emerald neclace, it is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Necklace
It doesn't help that you guys ripped out most of your trams and are left with just the green line and that Mattapan stub off part of the red line. Looks like you've got good commuter trains there, both above ground and underground. Melbourne also has an extensive commuter rail network, which I haven't explored much as I am served much better by trams in the inner suburbs.

And wow, go MA. That's pretty impressive. Still, you just gave the world Mitt Romney.

I wish I'd seen more of the Emerald Necklace. I was referring to the Boston Common. Founded in, what, 1635? Abel Tasman didn't sight New Zealand until 1642 and European settlement didn't seriously begin until 1840. Hell, not even the Maori migrated there until about AD 1000. Boston struck me as astonishingly old, it was amazing. I bet Europe would blow me away completely.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

oh and if you're ever in boston again and i'm actually there i'll take you on a tour of the train line, to the train yards, etc and to see the new silver line.

wow i can't wait for the boy/october/war remasters, i'm listening to october right now and it could use it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:28 AM
I've been north of Inverness in Scotland and as far south as Dunedin.

That's not a bad effort.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #480
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

That surprised me too, when I learned that Please had been a single.

Oh I see... if there are no rails, it's not civilised...

You must love the light rail network... tram and train all rolled into one!
Actually, I don't like the deal with light rail. Light rail = tramway, just some marketing tool trying to make it sound more modern. Though the St Kilda route 96 is interesting given its a tramway laid on an old railway route, so it certainly has that combination about it that makes it great for photography. Not that I've had a chance to photograph it yet.

And yes, railed transport = civilisation.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread