Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

Exactly.

What the fuck are you going to fly a plane into here?

I can't wait to do some small plane flying when i decide to visit more NZ regional centres.

Ever flown Wellington to Nelson or Blenheim? On a fine day, it's simply fantastic passing over the Marlborough Sounds.

Alisaura said:

I loved Hawaii's open-air theory of airport design. Kona airport on the Big Island is just a collection of separate shacks, and you walk out to the planes on tarmac/asphalt/bitumen/whatever. They were all talking about changing it to be more secure or some bullshit. Who the hell would want to bomb Kona??

Airports where you walk to the planes for the win.

Christchurch Airport for the lose. Straight out of the 70s.

also, once i read on wikipedia about some "country" off of britain that was really a sunken raft or something that some guy had claimed...can we chat there at some point? I can't remember what it's called but one of you geeks will know.

Varitek said:

i haven't trained around britain but i've taken the train all over europe, in germany austria italy poland bosnia slovenia hungary slovakia and maybe more that i'm missing.

:shitloadsofenvy:

coolian2 said:
Customs officials here are generally very cool. Even if they don't give a fuck about where you've been they don't show it.

Last time I flew into Auckland, I thought the customs guy there was about to ask me to come have a beer! He was the friendliest guy. Never had such a good experience in an airport.

Axver said:

Last time I flew into Auckland, I thought the customs guy there was about to ask me to come have a beer! He was the friendliest guy. Never had such a good experience in an airport.

:laugh: I know the feeling.

You have to wait in line for a ridiculous amount of time (skipping the NZ/Australian passport holders line is usually faster), but it's generally a fun chat once you get there.

unico said:
i don't know anyone who lives near the airport like myself who calls it Reagan. it's much better than Dulles anyway. I like how DC has 3 airports, none of which are in DC.

Dulles - VA (and 30 min away from DC)
BWI - WTF it is called Baltimore Washington?! Those are 2 cities an hour apart! And it's closer to Bmore than DC.
National - still in VA, but you can see the nat'l monument from it so that's close enough.

Oh, so National isn't in DC? Bah, I was told it was. So I haven't been to DC after all. Damnit.

Varitek said:
the last flight i was on got struck by lightening coming towards boston. it was kind of scary.
Eeek... I wasn't on the plane when it got zapped... that must have been alarming, all right!

i was trapped in a temporary terminal where water cost 2.50 euros and everything else was even more. i bought 1 bottle of water and thanked myself for pakcing snacks. and listened to multiple u2 shows.
I'd bought a bag of those mini Reese's peanut butter cups :)drool: ) in Chicago, and had managed not to eat them in Hawaii (we didn't have the time!)... they didn't survive the layover in Auckland airport.
I still have half the litre of kahlua I got at the duty-free shop... :D

coolian2 said:

Airports where you walk to the planes for the win.

Christchurch Airport for the lose. Straight out of the 70s.

I think they should close Christchurch Airport, build a new one, and keep the old one was some kind of working museum so people in 2070 can see what flight was like 100 years previously. It already looks like a fucking museum piece.

Varitek said:
also, once i read on wikipedia about some "country" off of britain that was really a sunken raft or something that some guy had claimed...can we chat there at some point? I can't remember what it's called but one of you geeks will know.

Oh, I've heard of those. I'll look up some good microstates later. We really need to visit some of them.

Axver said:

I think they should close Christchurch Airport, build a new one, and keep the old one was some kind of working museum so people in 2070 can see what flight was like 100 years previously. It already looks like a fucking museum piece.

God, it's such a funny airport.

Wellington
Auckland

(daylight)

Christchurch

Is how i'd rate the domestic airports in NZ. Auckland International is amazing once you get through customs.

coolian2 said:
The biggest memory i have of LAX is being basically lined up against the wall and having sniffer dogs walked past us....on a flight from fucking London.
My travel agent went to some pains to make sure I didn't have to travel through LAX... It sounds painful.

Alisaura said:

Eeek... I wasn't on the plane when it got zapped... that must have been alarming, all right!

I'd bought a bag of those mini Reese's peanut butter cups :)drool: ) in Chicago, and had managed not to eat them in Hawaii (we didn't have the time!)... they didn't survive the layover in Auckland airport.
I still have half the litre of kahlua I got at the duty-free shop... :D

reese's pieces are like my favorite candy ever.

i hate not being 21 yet, ever since the liquid restriction i'd get busted if i tried to sneak liquor into the country. :sad:

Axver said:

Oh, so National isn't in DC? Bah, I was told it was. So I haven't been to DC after all. Damnit.

I told you airports don't count or I've been to way more states and countries. Ethioppia! Nigeria! Kenya! Colorado! etc.

Alisaura said:

My travel agent went to some pains to make sure I didn't have to travel through LAX... It sounds painful.

Next time i travel to the US i'm going to do everything i can to get there through Vancouver, thanks to Air NZ flying there almost daily now.

I was only 9, but i don't recall LAX being too bad.

unico said:

i will this weekend. it takes time you know. e-p-i-c. it can't just be done overnight.

well i stayed basically til midnight anyway.

you suck, but i'll keep an eye out this weekend. sure you don't want help plotting?

coolian2 said:

God, it's such a funny airport.

Wellington
Auckland

(daylight)

Christchurch

Is how i'd rate the domestic airports in NZ. Auckland International is amazing once you get through customs.

EVEN NELSON AIRPORT LEAVES CHRISTCHURCH FOR DEAD. It's so fucking sad. Auckland International isn't bad but I prefer Wellington, truth be told. I guess because it's smaller and I find that more comfortable.

Alisaura said:

Same here ... mine deliberately routed me through San Francisco because LAX is such a shithole by the sounds of things.

bono_man2002 said:
How long ago did you Jet off to the UK?
I was in the UK for most of August last year... after that I did two weeks in various bits of the USA (Atlanta, Chicago, Hawaii) before coming home.

It was awesome. I want more. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom