Taste...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Okay... so the other day, my roommate and I were driving back home from the gym and my copy of Amnesiac was playing. As soon as You And Whose Army started, in just a few seconds of the intro, my roommate was like 'what the hell is this?', made a face and urged me to change the track/CD. I just went... "it's an acquired taste" with a smile. The guy mostly listens to top 40 hip hop, r&b, techno and some radio friendly rock. So I guess I can't blame him for saying that. After all, that one's a particularly difficult song to get into on first listen! But most of the people I meet seem to be the same way! Pleased with whatever's catchy or on the radio. Actually, it's more like music is not even THAT important in their lives. It's just something in the background. I can't even imagine being like that! :huh:

I guess what I'm really wondering is... Does it all boil down to personal preference (the classic 'subjective' argument) or do most people not even TRY to appreciate 'interesting' music that's different from the banality of top 40, something that the artist has spent a lot of time and creativity on? I don't want to come off as a music snob :reject: but this thing kinda bugs me sometimes.

Everyone's a music snob; we're just all snobbish about different music.

But how can somebody that likes the most listener-friendly mainstream pop or hip hop be snobbish about anything? :huh:

Is there even an excuse for such music taste? :uhoh:

typhoon said:
Everyone's a music snob; we're just all snobbish about different music.

Wow, that's actually...true.

I think in the end it's all personal preference, though there are certainly many people content to just listen to top 40 radio and not try to broaden their horizons. Which, hey, their loss, but if they're happy...

Zootlesque said:
But how can somebody that likes the most listener-friendly mainstream pop or hip hop be snobbish about anything? :huh:

Is there even an excuse for such music taste? :uhoh:

Some people think if it isn't popluar it isn't good. That's every bit as snobbish as anything else. :shrug:

As for your second question -- no. There isn't any excuse. None.

:wink:

I actually don't mind being called a snob. I like what I like. If that makes me a snob, so be it.

AtomicBono said:

Which, hey, their loss, but if they're happy...

See, it's no longer just 'their' loss if you're hanging out with/live with somebody like that. And you can't exactly listen to whatever you want cos the other person may not like it as much. You can't go to the same concerts or clubs for that same reason!

Maybe I'm just taking this way too seriously, lol. :reject:

But I can't help taking my music seriously, though. Cos it's awesome! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Actually, it's more like music is not even THAT important in their lives. It's just something in the background. I can't even imagine being like that! :huh:

That is also my problem (though it's not really a "problem" in the negative-for-me sense, lol) :yes:

I am WAY into music... of all kinds... I will generally give everything at least a couple of listens. I don't dismiss any musical genre off the cuff... but music is definitely a personal taste thing. Though everyone should understand and appreciate other people's tastes.

Music is such an integral part of my life, I can't imagine being passive about it. And that's a lot of the reason that I feel like a music snob a lot of the time... because I don't relate to music on a passive level like most people do. I have to think about it, feel it, roll the lyric around on my tongue, play air guitar, sing along, inhabit the music... the music becomes a way for me to identify myself (see my sig) which makes it very hard for me to relate to others who don't do that (which is most of the people I know!).

Aaaaaand now that I've totally freaked everyone out with how "into" music I am... I'll go away. :lol:

Zootlesque said:

See, it's no longer just 'their' loss if you're hanging out with/live with somebody like that. And you can't exactly listen to whatever you want cos the other person may not like it as much. You can't go to the same concerts or clubs for that same reason!

Maybe I'm just taking this way too seriously, lol. :reject:

But I can't help taking my music seriously, though. Cos it's awesome! :drool:

My niece (she's only ten) told me the other day "I don't like your music." I told her tough. Then I told her when you are in my house or in my car you listen to what I want. Those are the rules. (She wasn't too thrilled, and gave me the old "woe is me" look kids are so good at. Luckily, I'm impervious to those looks. :wink: )

I can see it being a bit of an issue if the person with poor taste lives with you or is a love interest, but otherwise in your place or your car you listen to what you want and at their's you have to listen to their dreck. You might have to get used to going to concerts and clubs by yourself. Hell, if I can do that so can you.

Or upgrade your friends.... :wink:

Re: Re: Taste...

hippy said:

Music is such an integral part of my life, I can't imagine being passive about it. And that's a lot of the reason that I feel like a music snob a lot of the time... because I don't relate to music on a passive level like most people do. I have to think about it, feel it, roll the lyric around on my tongue, play air guitar, sing along, inhabit the music... the music becomes a way for me to identify myself (see my sig) which makes it very hard for me to relate to others who don't do that (which is most of the people I know!).

:applaud:

Thank you. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to convey with my original post! You explained it better.

I'm in the same situation. It's hard making friends as it is and most of the people I know are very passive about their music taste and I find it hard to relate to them. Makes me feel like I'm alone sometimes! :grumpy:

indra said:

You might have to get used to going to concerts and clubs by yourself. Hell, if I can do that so can you.

Or upgrade your friends.... :wink:

I was actually alone when I saw U2 recently and REM last year. That's cos none of my friends are crazy about either band and I couldn't get anybody to go with me. :| Of course, I was 'with' friends when I saw Metallica, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith.. bands that I'm much less into! :| esp. the latter two. Anyway, I did enjoy those U2 and REM shows (esp. U2) despite being alone. But I couldn't quite shake off that feeling that I had to go alone. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Taste...

Zootlesque said:

:applaud:

Thank you. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to convey with my original post! You explained it better.

<~~ English major :wink:

I'm in the same situation. It's hard making friends as it is and most of the people I know are very passive about their music taste and I find it hard to relate to them. Makes me feel like I'm alone sometimes! :grumpy:

As indra says... upgrade your friends! :tongue:

But seriously, you're NOT alone... as evidenced by my ramblings about the greatness of music.

And going to concerts alone I actually find kind of refreshing as you're free to just enjoy the music and the atmosphere without the "friend" baggage and feeling like you have to entertain the people you're with... Though it's sometimes uncomfortable when you're sitting there by yourself... but I've also managed to make some great friends while sitting in GA lines and striking up conversations :)

The people that think music has to be popular to be good are the same people who were willing to change their hairstyle/wardrobe/way of speaking/friends/etc in high school to fit into some mindless pointless clique. People who live to 'fit in' make me sad.

Zoot, my roommate is the same way.

I was jamming some Kid A the other day and he tried to drown it out.

With what, you ask?

:ohmy:

Nickelback

The only two times I went to a music concert with someone were: 1) Red Hot Chilli Peppers with an ex-boyfriend and his sister; 2) Kylie concert with a friend and her friends. Otherwise, I just go by myself, which doesn't really bother me since I'm a bit of a lone wolf anyway. I'd prefer to go with someone, of course, but it's either that my friends/relatives aren't into music/live music enough to pay for the tickets, or they're not into the artist/band I want to see, period.

I think personal preference counts a lot. IMO way too many people would like to think that if someone is not into the music -they- like, it must mean they're not into music at all.

BTW, by far the snobbiest attitude towards music I've encountered was this person I know who listens almost exclusively to classical and jazz music and for whom -all- 20th century popular/rock music is basically sub-par rubbish.

Zootlesque said:

I was actually alone when I saw U2 recently and REM last year. That's cos none of my friends are crazy about either band and I couldn't get anybody to go with me. :|

hey baby, if you ever find yourself in need of someone to bring to a concert, I'm right here :sexywink:

Basically I agree entirely with what hippy said. I cannot fathom living a life where music is just in the background for me. Ever since I was a young child I have been drawn to music. It basically is my life.

AtomicBono said:

hey baby, if you ever find yourself in need of someone to bring to a concert, I'm right here :sexywink:

right where? let me know where I can pick you up! which state.... :sexywink:

Zootlesque said:

right where? let me know where I can pick you up! which state.... :sexywink:

the most boring one :grumpy:

Indianapolis, IN.

Hey, at least U2 came here on Elevation...and Green Day came here...and The Killers...we get SOME bands, damnit.

:lol:

U2 is coming to fucking NYC which is like an hour away for me. And I still don't have tickets! :mad:

Hey Striddy, why don't you become premium? :sexywink:

Zootlesque said:
:lol:

U2 is coming to fucking NYC which is like an hour away for me. And I still don't have tickets! :mad:

Hey Striddy, why don't you become premium? :sexywink:

Man I'd kill to see U2 in NYC...

You know, I should, $12 is pretty cheap and I could support the site and have a sig and PM people and stuff. Dunno what I'd do with all that sudden power.

Tomorrow, my friend. It's late now and I must rest. goodnight, good sir.

Saracene said:
The only two times I went to a music concert with someone were: 1) Red Hot Chilli Peppers with an ex-boyfriend and his sister; 2) Kylie concert with a friend and her friends. Otherwise, I just go by myself, which doesn't really bother me since I'm a bit of a lone wolf anyway. I'd prefer to go with someone, of course, but it's either that my friends/relatives aren't into music/live music enough to pay for the tickets, or they're not into the artist/band I want to see, period.

:up: It's sometimes a real pain to go to gigs with other people. They don't enjoy it and you feel responsible for dragging them along and it just fucks up your night.

I'd rather go by myself and enjoy myself, without friends giving me strange looks if I start dancing or jumping around or singing along. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom