Talking heads/Echo and the bunnymen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I heard about these 80's (they are from the 80's right?) bands but I don't know anything about them, except that song We're on the road to nowhere which I think is from Talking heads.

So...what do they sound like? Synthesizers?

The Talking Heads don't have a specific sound...they are more artsy music. No synthesizers...they actually orginated from CBGBs in the late 70s along with the Ramones, Blondie, etc. A lot of their songs are influenced by African music and rythyms. Surely you must know Burning Down the House and Once In A Lifetime. Definately check them out...:up::up:

!!!!

Echo & the Bunnymen are similar to Joy Division, Australia's The Church, or early Cure; probably the most famous Echo song is "The Killing Moon".

They were contemporaries of U2 back in the day and occasional comparisons were drawn; Echo's music was more dark-rock than the neopunk of U2 circa 1980, but Ian McCulloch's voice had a similar timbre to Bono's early style.

Both bands were affected by the suicide of Joy Division's singer -- U2 went on to write A Day Without Me about this, and Bono has been known to sing a few lines from the Joy Division classic "Love Will Tear Us Apart" during With Or Without You.

*chuckle* so yeah, check out Joy Division (and the band they became, New Order) as well.... but if you REALLY want to hear where U2's early influence came from, listen to The Buzzcocks!

tom jones and no doubt are the reason why i can't listen to the talking heads.

Burning down the house - did Tom Jones cover that with the Cardigans?

Really? Joy Division became New Order? (I bought the Crystal album - but weren't they more synth in the early days?)

right...cardiagans. i keep thinking that it was no doubt. no, it was definetly the cardigans.

joy division became new order after ian curtis' suicide.

I adore the Talking Heads. Everything from the music to the big white suit. Both Brian Eno and Steve Lilywhite have worked with them as well but not at the same time (I think).

Favourite songs:

Take Me To The River
Psycho Killer
Once In A Lifetime
And She Was
Wild Wild Life

i hadnt heard about echo and the bunnymen until my dad brought home a cd, which ive now got in my possesion and give it back hahaha....
i like echo and the bunnymen...^_^

Back
Top Bottom