tales of a new non-smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
well, yesterday was my 1st day as a non-smoker. i've decided to take this thing on head first. no drugs, no gum, no patch. it's my mind against my addiction.

i've had some interesting feelings already in the last day and a half. for example, i feel like there's a starving country in my lungs, begging for smoke. i can't stop running around. i'm like the old lady in "Something About Mary" after she drinks the speed that dissolved in her cocktail. and of course, i am extremely irritable.

i'm going in with the attitude that all of these symptoms/feeling are part of the heeling process. i used to look at these feelings as bad things in previous quitting attempts. this time, i've decided to welcome them. the less these symptoms occur, the further my healing process.

i realize that my biggest test will be when i hit the bars for the first time. i'll give any who care an update.

My sincere congratulations. :up: I understand it's a terrible habit to try to break. Keep us updated!

Ewen's gone over 2 months without a cigarette now! :hyper:

Drink plenty of water, particularly when you feel irritable, it lessens the cravings and even has a calming effect . If you don't like water, drink another liquid, preferably one without caffeine.

Try and stay out of the bars for at least a week, preferably longer.

Good luck.

mikal said:

i'm going in with the attitude that all of these symptoms/feeling are part of the heeling process. i used to look at these feelings as bad things in previous quitting attempts. this time, i've decided to welcome them. the less these symptoms occur, the further my healing process.

:up:

you're off to an amazing start. congratulations, and good luck!

As Pax said I gave up two months ago. Haven't had as much as a puff since. Went totally cold turkey too...no gum, drugs or patches. 100% will-power.

Dunno if I agree with finance guys's tips, for me personally. It was my birthday four days after I gave up, I went to the bar with friends who were smoking. I think if you can put up with other smokers around you it strengthens your will - does for me, you feel you've accomplished something by not caving in while others are smoking.

I've not given up on caffeine, if anything I probably drink more. "Different strokes for different folks" as they say. Yeah, I always feel like a cigarette while drinking the coffee and still want a cigarette after a meal. The craving doesn't go away after two months, you just learn to live with it I guess.

Best of luck and hope you have understanding people around you that will cope with your grumpiness while giving up. I've been really grumpy and thank most people, close to me, for their patience and understanding.

put a box next to your bed and at the end of the day put in it the money you would of spent otherwise on cigarettes. At the end of the week treat yourself to something nice with the money saved (not a cigarette! lol).

^^^^^

thanks!

i've already decided that i'm going to do a reward system.

i normally spend about $30 a week on cigs, which equals about $120 a month, so after 3 months i'm going to by a Fender Strat.

mikal said:
^^^^^

thanks!

i've already decided that i'm going to do a reward system.

i normally spend about $30 a week on cigs, which equals about $120 a month, so after 3 months i'm going to by a Fender Strat.

That's the perfect goal ... I estimated it at $4.75 per pack per day = $1,733 a year...

My downfall was that I was getting my smokes for free (cops always get stuff for free!)....No more cop, no more smoke!

Years ago when I was still a youngin my father quit smoking. Then he proceeded to eat all the cookies in the house. For several weeks.

You can do it!

anitram said:
Years ago when I was still a youngin my father quit smoking. Then he proceeded to eat all the cookies in the house. For several weeks.

:lol:

Good luck Mikal - it can only get easier over time :up:

thanks again.

i'm taking this out on popcorn right now. cookies will probably be next.

I guess it's over between us, then. :sad:

:sexywink:

I seriously need willpower. :reject: Although I have cut down - a lot! When some of life's stresses dissipate in the next month, I plan to give it another go.

Congrats! Keep letting us know how you're doing. Stories like yours inspire me.

JessicaAnn said:
Congrats.

You mean to tell me you can go to a bar in Wisconsin and not smoke? I thought I was the only one. :wink:

actually, Appleton just passed a smoking ban. DePere(suburb of Green Bay) might also.

i'd personally love it. then when my band starts playing again, i won't lose my voice by midnight like i usually do.

You can do it, Mikal--we're all rooting for you! :rockon:

Just think of your guitar...your voice...not having your lungs rot away from cancer...

mikal said:

actually, Appleton just passed a smoking ban. DePere(suburb of Green Bay) might also.

i'd personally love it. then when my band starts playing again, i won't lose my voice by midnight like i usually do.

I wish they would pass a ban here in Milwaukee.

pax said:

.not having your lungs rot away from cancer...

that stirred my memory; in 2000, I had surgery(unrelated to smoking); following the doctor's exploratory, he told me during post-op that my lungs were "very pink and healthy!" that's incentive enough for me! continued good luck to you.

Smart move. I smoked my last butt on 1 February, 1999 - cooooold turkey.

You will have to substitute. I chew a toothpick or two after a large meal. Upped the chocolate intake, and am always looking for excuses to walk/get out/do shit. Don't sit still.

When drinking, think of the cleansing, cooling effect the beers are having on you - and how a dirty nasty cig will spoil it. Your lungs are healing rapidly. Don't blow it.

Best of luck:)

Back
Top Bottom