T.REX - Born To Boogie - new DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool - Any news on a U.S. NTSC version? Also - Anyone have T.Rex boots to trade?

"He'd sometimes use the sun as a tambourine," muses rock god Marc Bolan while riding in the back of a cherry-red convertible in one of Born to Boogie's absurdist interludes. Bolan could very well be referring to himself, as the worshipful fervor of this 1972 concert at London's Wembley Stadium makes clear. Filmed in glorious 16 mm and expertly remixed by longtime T. Rex producer Tony Visconti, Born to Boogie is a long-lost classic now lovingly restored and expanded to feature an additional concert in its entirety. Primed by percussionist Mickey Finn's bongo fury, the band plays hits such as "Jeepster," "Children of the Revolution" and "Bang a Gong (Get It On)," Bolan melding elfin exuberance and Chuck Berry chops into a starry-eyed boogie rock uniquely his own. Sneak a peek at director Ringo Starr's Rasputin-style beard during the high-camp studio sequence of T. Rex covering "Tutti Frutti" while pal Elton John radiates the 88s. The first T. Rex TV appearance, from 1967, introduced by the late, great John Peel, crowns the superstuffed five-and-a-half-hour double disc. Erasing any doubt about the true star's identity, Bolan wears a silver blazer atop a T-shirt featuring a picture of, why not, himself.

PETER RELIC
(Posted may 19, 2005)

http://www.rollingstone.com/

Last edited:
There will also be a 2 CD album:

Disc: 1
1. Apple Films Intro
2. Jeepster
3. Baby Strange
4. 'Electric Wind' (poem)
5. Tutti Fruitti (Elton, Ringo & T.Rex)
6. Children Of The Revolution (Elton, Ringo & T.Rex)
7. 'Look To The Left' (Marc & Ringo - 30 secs)
8. Spaceball Ricochet
9. Some People Like To Rock' (Marc & Ringo - 30 secs)
10. Telegram Sam
11. 'Some People Like To Rock' (Mark & Ringo - 30 secs)
12. Cosmic Dancer
13. 'They've Come, 'tis Said'
14. Tea Party Medley (Marc (on acoustic) & String Quartet): (a) Jeepster (b) Hot Love (c) Get It On (d) The Slider
15. 'Union Hall' (poem)
16. Hot Love
17. Get It On
18. Children Of The Revolution - Reprise
19. Interview with Marc Bolan and Tony Norman (Interviewer), recorded in Marc's flat. From late 1971 (10 mins approx)

Disc: 2
1. 'The Almighty T.Rex' - Emperor Rosko (Live 18.03.1972)
2. Cadilac (Live 18.03.1972)
3. Jeepster (Live 18.03.1972)
4. Baby Strange (Live 18.03.1972)
5. Spaceball Ricochet (Live 18.03.1972)
6. Girl (Live 18.03.1972)
7. Cosmic Dancer (Live 18.03.1972)
8. Telegram Sam (Live 18.03.1972)
9. Hot Love (Live 18.03.1972)
10. Get It On (Live 18.03.1972)
11. Just One More?' - Emperor Rosko (Live 18.03.1972)
12. Summertime Blues (Live 18.03.1972)

Todays the day! 'Oh man I need TV when I got T.Rex'
Will pick this up from Tower on my way home along with the Coldplay CD. Well worth checking out.

MrBrau1 said:
There will also be a 2 CD album:

Disc: 1
1. Apple Films Intro
2. Jeepster
3. Baby Strange
4. 'Electric Wind' (poem)
5. Tutti Fruitti (Elton, Ringo & T.Rex)
6. Children Of The Revolution (Elton, Ringo & T.Rex)
7. 'Look To The Left' (Marc & Ringo - 30 secs)
8. Spaceball Ricochet
9. Some People Like To Rock' (Marc & Ringo - 30 secs)
10. Telegram Sam
11. 'Some People Like To Rock' (Mark & Ringo - 30 secs)
12. Cosmic Dancer
13. 'They've Come, 'tis Said'
14. Tea Party Medley (Marc (on acoustic) & String Quartet): (a) Jeepster (b) Hot Love (c) Get It On (d) The Slider
15. 'Union Hall' (poem)
16. Hot Love
17. Get It On
18. Children Of The Revolution - Reprise
19. Interview with Marc Bolan and Tony Norman (Interviewer), recorded in Marc's flat. From late 1971 (10 mins approx)

Disc: 2
1. 'The Almighty T.Rex' - Emperor Rosko (Live 18.03.1972)
2. Cadilac (Live 18.03.1972)
3. Jeepster (Live 18.03.1972)
4. Baby Strange (Live 18.03.1972)
5. Spaceball Ricochet (Live 18.03.1972)
6. Girl (Live 18.03.1972)
7. Cosmic Dancer (Live 18.03.1972)
8. Telegram Sam (Live 18.03.1972)
9. Hot Love (Live 18.03.1972)
10. Get It On (Live 18.03.1972)
11. Just One More?' - Emperor Rosko (Live 18.03.1972)
12. Summertime Blues (Live 18.03.1972)

Fantastic stuff! I've always found CD live albums easier to get a hold of than Live DVDs...I dunno why, just the matter of cost and the fact that I basically ALWAYS have a CD player on me and don't have time to sit down and watch a DVD...so I'll be checking THAT one out!

Got to watch this last night. I wasn’t keen on the film itself when I saw it on its theatrical run but the live footage is priceless. They filmed two concerts to use and managed to find & restore both of them which are included on this double disk. This was a true labor of love. Mark Bolan was a genius. There are some cool documentaries introduced by his son who was only 2 years old when his father died.
Highly recommended.

http://www.borntoboogiefilm.co.uk/#

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/sanctuary/born_to_boogie.htm

excelant.jpg

blahblahblah said:

Fantastic stuff! I've always found CD live albums easier to get a hold of than Live DVDs...I dunno why, just the matter of cost and the fact that I basically ALWAYS have a CD player on me and don't have time to sit down and watch a DVD...so I'll be checking THAT one out!

For the extra 5 bucks it is worth getting the DVD. You can always rip the sound.

Got the DVD. Sweet. I'd never seen it before, and enjoyed it's insanity. Especially the rocked up version of "Hot Love."

its good to see that some of you appreciate the T.Rex stuff.
the two dvd's are amazing. the concert on the 2nd dvd imo has a bit more performance power. that inspired me to pick up my old CD with the "Electric Warrior" sessions.
there is a track JEWEL on it which is absolutely powerful. the sound of JEWEL (the guitar!) reminds me a lot on THE FLY sound.
do you think its possible that U2 listened to that tune prior/during recording ACHTUNG BABY?

jacobus said:
its good to see that some of you appreciate the T.Rex stuff.
the two dvd's are amazing. the concert on the 2nd dvd imo has a bit more performance power. that inspired me to pick up my old CD with the "Electric Warrior" sessions.
there is a track JEWEL on it which is absolutely powerful. the sound of JEWEL (the guitar!) reminds me a lot on THE FLY sound.
do you think its possible that U2 listened to that tune prior/during recording ACHTUNG BABY?

It wouldn't surprise me if T.Rex had a say in AB. The "ghost" vocal in Real Thing is very Marc Bolan. Also, HMTMKMKM has a T.Rex swagger to it, and I think Love And Peace Or Else is VERY T.Rex.

They threw up Bolan on the Popmart screen, and Bono has talked before about watching Marc on TV as a teen, and almost being attracted to him.

Last edited:
@MrBrau1: yep i admit LAPOE is very T.Rex as it is HMTMKMKM (Children Of The Revolution), EBTTRT and THE FLY...more?
Gavin Friday, Bonos best friend is a great fan of T.Rex. He did a cover of The Slider on his album SHAG TOBACCO - great version!

What's under Bonos bed?

April 18, 2001
WHAT'S UNDER BONO'S BED?
Scratched T-Rex 45s, says Gavin Friday, previous owner of the singles. In the April 25 issue of Irish music magazine Hot Press, Friday speaks about the T-Rex cover Children of the Revolution which he and Bono recorded for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack: "There are two mixes - a "Bohemian" one and a "Hermaphrodite" one which is gay handbag done by a heavy metal band. There are some hysterically high vocals that are going to upset the neighbourhood dogs and a few other surprises that I'll let you discover for yourself."

Who's the bigger Marc Bolan fan, him or Bono?
"The way it worked in the 70s is that I bought all the records and he nicked 'em off me! I'm sure if you checked under his bed there's a big pile of scratched T Rex 45s belonging to yours truly."

u2log.com

One of the first LP's I ever bought was 'Electric Warrior'. I just saw the 'remastered, extended' import version the other day. Got to get that this weekend.

so go and get the "Acoustic Warrior"
amazon Album Description:
15 previously unreleased & unique acoustic versions of the late Bolan playing his classic T. Rex hits. Features irreplaceable live & studio recordings made on U.S. radiostations in the '70s, including 'Get It On', 'Telegram Sam','20th Century Boy', 'The Slider', 'Ballrooms Of Mars', 'Mystic Lady', 'Girl', 'Spaceball Richochet', 'Laser Love' and 'Metal Guru' etc. 1996release on Telstar.
its an outstanding acoustic set that truly shows the real class of the songs. great versions. the only other unplugged album with such a quality bulk of great music is the nirvana unplugged mtv

1.20th Century Boy
2.Get It On
3.Metal Guru
4.Spaceball Ricochet
5.Telegram Sam
6.Jeepster
7.Mystic Lady
8.The Slider
9.Seagull Woman
10.Debora
11.Main Man
12.Cosmic Dancer
13.Ballrooms Of Mars
14.Laser Love
15.Girl
16.Down Home Lady

jacobus said:
so go and get the "Acoustic Warrior"
amazon Album Description:
15 previously unreleased & unique acoustic versions of the late Bolan playing his classic T. Rex hits. Features irreplaceable live & studio recordings made on U.S. radiostations in the '70s, including 'Get It On', 'Telegram Sam','20th Century Boy', 'The Slider', 'Ballrooms Of Mars', 'Mystic Lady', 'Girl', 'Spaceball Richochet', 'Laser Love' and 'Metal Guru' etc. 1996release on Telstar.
its an outstanding acoustic set that truly shows the real class of the songs. great versions. the only other unplugged album with such a quality bulk of great music is the nirvana unplugged mtv

1.20th Century Boy
2.Get It On
3.Metal Guru
4.Spaceball Ricochet
5.Telegram Sam
6.Jeepster
7.Mystic Lady
8.The Slider
9.Seagull Woman
10.Debora
11.Main Man
12.Cosmic Dancer
13.Ballrooms Of Mars
14.Laser Love
15.Girl
16.Down Home Lady

That album is great. The "20th Century Boy" is just about perfect!

Hey thanks for the "Acoustic Warrior" info/tip.

I have just ordered "20th Century Boy: The Ultimate Collection" & "Electric Warrior [Expanded]" from Amazon (a dam sight cheaper than going to Tower) so I will look out for this one too.

Do any of you remeber the TV show T.Rex had? Did they ever get to DVD? I used to see clips of it on VH1 but never the full shows.

Thats the show! I remeber watching it on TV. Elton John was on one or two episiodes if I remember correctly. TY for the links. I'll keep my eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom