T R I P H O P P I N'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
This thread is about that weird and experimental genre called trip-hop that started sometime in the early 90s! Talk all about it here! Portishead, Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps, Tricky etc. I guess Everything But The Girl (post Amplified Heart) qualifies too. Also, maybe Bjork?

I don't know too much about this genre but I'm curious to know. That's why I started this thread. What are the essential albums? Post your Top 10 lists here if you like.

:dance:

The Chemical Brothers :drool:

I don't know much about those bands either, but I have heard of them

Morcheeba and The Cinematic Orchestra are awesome too, although I know not everyone would call them trip-hop.

My friend's Dad told me that Portishead's 'Dummy' and Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine' are two good places to start.

beau2ifulday said:

My friend's Dad told me that Portishead's 'Dummy' and Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine' are two good places to start.

Yeah, I've heard much praise for both... esp. Mezzanine.

the early work of Bjork yes, it is trip hop, now it's just weird

I love her

Zoot, i'm busy this week, but sometime soon i'll upload a zip of various trip-hop songs for you and message it your way if you like.

beau2ifulday said:
Zoot, i'm busy this week, but sometime soon i'll upload a zip of various trip-hop songs for you and message it your way if you like.

Awesome!!! :love: Thanks. :up:

Essential Trip-Hop Albums:

Massive Attack: Mezzanine
Portishead: Dummy
Kruder and Dorfmeister: the K&D Sessions
Lamb: Lamb
Air: Moon Safari (though this is more downtempo)
Massive Attack: Blue Lines
Aim: Cold Water Music
Everything But The Girl: Temperamental
Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
Tricky: Maxinquaye
Massive Attack: Protection
Goldfrapp: Utopia
Thievery Corporation: Mirror Conspiracy
UNKLE: Psyence Fiction
Portishead: s/t

And then we move to some amazing albums that are almost trip-hop, or similar to, but not really:
Amon Tobin: Bricolage
Underworld: Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Junior Boys: Last Exit
Royksopp: Melody A.M.
RJD2: Deadringer
Dub Pistols: Six Million Ways to Live
Bent: Programmed to Love
Cinematic Orchestra: Every Day
Slowdive: Souvlaki
St. Germain: Tourist
Four Tet: Rounds
Dusted: When We Were Young
Boards of Canada: Music Has A Right to Children
The Notwist: Neon Golden
Twine: Twine
Bjork: Post
Bjork: Homogenic
Menomena: I am the Fun Blame Monster
Zero 7: Simple Things
Blue States: Nothing Changes Under the Sun
Outkast: ATLiens (pretty trippy hip hop..)
Primal Scream: Vanishing Point
Roisin Murphy: Ruby Blue
(Matthew) Herbert: Around the House, Bodily Functions

man.. there's just too many albums to recommend.
basically, Massive Attack and Portishead are the most important trip-hop acts in the world. triphop is basically nonexistent anymore.. it has become downtemp/chillout in a lot of cases, or acid jazz.. but there's still some similarly awesome sounds.
Electronic music is generally overlooked unfortunately.

SkeeK said:
Essential Trip-Hop Albums:

Massive Attack: Mezzanine
Portishead: Dummy
Kruder and Dorfmeister: the K&D Sessions
Lamb: Lamb
Air: Moon Safari (though this is more downtempo)
Massive Attack: Blue Lines
Aim: Cold Water Music
Everything But The Girl: Temperamental
Sneaker Pimps: Becoming X
Tricky: Maxinquaye
Massive Attack: Protection
Goldfrapp: Utopia
Thievery Corporation: Mirror Conspiracy
UNKLE: Psyence Fiction
Portishead: s/t

man.. there's just too many albums to recommend.

True that. Those are essential downbeat albums.

there are various styles, basically the Bristolers started in the Dug Out Club .. already late 80s, Mark Stewart and the Pop Group, DJ Milo, Tricky etc. The first commercial wave of triphop albums like Portisheads Dummy or Morcheeba or the first Massive attack album start of the 90s. Then Tricky left Massive Attack and put out various great albums with lotsa dark & moody sounds and with Martina, who later did her own thing.

In Vienna it came up a little later, but with Peter Kruder and Richard Dorfmeister who also do various side projects like Tosca, Vienna quickly established.

Essential albums I´d add to the above list

Tricky - those 4 albums are a must have
Maxinquaye
Pre Millenium Tension
Nearly God
Blowback

Massive Attack
Blue Lines
100th Window

Martina Topley-Bird
Quixotic

Lamb
What Sound

Morcheeba
Who Can You Trust
Big Calm
Fragments of Freedom

Moloko (no one has mentioned Do You Like my Tight Sweater, one of the funkiest downbeat albums around.. old stuff, Moloko are more into other styles now, like on the Statues album)

Herbalizer
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Ninja Tune.. is a label and they got a couple of those jazzy style bands like

Aqua etc..,
Amon Tobin;
Hedfunk;
Up, Bustle & Out

also check the !K7 label, they did the K&D albums, they got lots of downbeat/ electronica stuff, artists like Ursula Rucker.

there are a couple of chilly hiphop albums like Bahamadia´s Kollage; she also collaborated with Roni Size on New Forms

if you happen to like the Kruder&Dorfmeister style also get their DJ Kicks album, lotsa remixing and delaaaaaaays

that should be enough for a start,..

really good recs hiphop! i can't believe i forgot morcheeba...

david homes is also someone to check out

have you heard roisin murphy's (singer from moloko) new solo album? it's brilliant, i think. it's that herbert fellow.. quite the producer.

one goodie i forgot:
Rae and Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul

I'd say there was definitely some trip-hop stylings on Endtroducing...

This is a great thread, just because this type of music doesn't get talked about too much on here.

No shout outs to POP? Miami, Playboy Mansion, the end of If God...

Also, Second Toughest in the Infants and Beaucoup Fish by Underworld have their moments, even if the whole albums aren't trip hop.

Possibly my favorite track ever is the Underdog's Angel Dust mix of Protection (Massive Attack featuring Everything But the Girl's Tracey Thorn on vocals). Makes a great song even better. Got that one on the Special Brew compilation from 1996, which also has the Beastie Boys remixing Bjork! and The Prodigy remixing Method Man, a bizarre trip hop masterpiece in its own right. Incidentally, that disc also has the Gimme Some More Dignity mix of Numb leading off the album.

lazarus said:
No shout outs to POP? Miami, Playboy Mansion, the end of If God...

Wow! I never thought of it as trip-hop but come to think of it, I guess it just might qualify... :ohmy:

Also, you mentioned Protection. What a great track! Tracey Thorn is absolutely fabulous with Massive Attack! In fact, funnily enough Everything But The Girl is what got me into this genre, even though they themselves got into it only in 1996 or something. Well actually, I did know of Portishead's Glory Box before that! Anyway, I can't believe nobody mentioned Walking Wounded!

And Teardrop... :drool:

Hooverphonic
- A Stereophonic Sound Spectacular
- Blue Wonder Power Milk

Massive Attack
- Mezzanine

Morcheeba
- Who Can You Trust
- Big Calm

Thievery Corporation
- Mirror Conspiracy
- The Richest Man in Babylon

Theivery Corporation seems more Acid Jazz to me though. And Morcheeba has more of a lounge type feel rather than Trip Hop. I noticed alot of people mentioning bands that I wouldn't necessarily call Trip Hop. Then again when you start getting into electronic music the genres are so blurred anyways.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
i have mezzanine :hmm:

if you were ever on aim i could send it to you if you wanted :tsk:

yes yes yes!!! I want it I want it I want it! :hyper:

AIM kinda sucks thats why I stopped logging in. :uhoh: :reject: :wink:

SkeeK said:

have you heard roisin murphy's (singer from moloko) new solo album? it's brilliant, i think. it's that herbert fellow.. quite the producer.

yeah, I heard a couple of songs, not the whole album. I think its good work.

Morcheeba have a new singer.. saw her last summer in Sziget, good voice.. while Morcheeba is still associated so much with Skye,

Back
Top Bottom