System Of A Down - Mezmerize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Does anyone here like this band? I've always been a bit of a fan and got Mezmerize recently. I thought it was actually a pretty good album, and if it was a bit more serious (see track 4 - cigaro. The chorus goes 'my cock is much bigger than yours') than it would be great. 3.5/5

Great band. I made a thread on the new album when it first came out, and it got some good responses I think. I still like it a lot. Radio/Video is my fave. track.

Yeah, I see the first week the album came out (June 14) it went straight to No.1
on Billboard's Top 40 Album chart ... :bow:

Last week (June 21) the album slipped down to the No.4 spot ... :ohmy:

This week (June 28) I see the album climbed back up to the No. 2 spot on Billboard's chart ... Maybe this band is worth "checkin' out" and "giving a listen to" after all !! :hmm:

I have the first 2 albums, with Toxicity being my favorite. I think that album is incredible.

Also, they are an excellent live act.

Don't have the new one, but might just go and get it.

I have the 3 albums, pretty good all of them

this new albums is kinda addictive...
Sad Statue :drool:

I seriously don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here but this band and the lead singer's agonizingly horrible voice make me want to :barf:

Last edited:
they have a few good tunes, but this group is clearly more adept at growing interesting facial hair than they are at making interesting music.

I like the first two singles off of this album. System of a Down have become a sort of guilty pleasure for me, in that I don't usually like that type of music but I like them because they have a sense of humour. They don't take themselves too seriously. That said, I don't think I'd ever actually buy their album I just like it when I hear them on the radio.

Hey man, look at me rockin' out! I'm on the radio!

3.5/5 ???

3.5/5 ?????

at least 4.5, i think.

The new album is fantastic. It's everything that System of a Down Do done almost perfectly with a little switch-up thrown in here and there for good measure.

Best of all the anger sounds honest and heartfelt. Usually I can't stand 'angry' music, cause it seems so canned. But this anger, despite the humour, is real.

I like the music okay, I think it's a pretty decent listen. I like their message too. But man, that "blast off, it's party time, and we all live in a fascist nation" line...

The way it's delivered and the words themselves just make me laugh. I think it ruins the song.

That being said, they are one of few groups these days that I can honestly say gives the impression that they have fun playing their music. And that is, by all means, a good thing.

Well, I now see that maybe this band is NOT TOO GREAT after all, since I had to really search for this thread !! :tsk:

okay, kidding !! ... but regardless, I did find it on Page 3 !! :ohmy:

Last night at work during my lunch hour, I heard a few songs by this band.
One of my co-workers actually brought in some mixture
of "Mezmerize" songs so I could give this band a listen to. :wink:

So, what I think so far is that I actually liked the music from Revenga and Sad Statue ... :bow: ...
I didn't quite hear the lyrics enough to know those songs entirely though ... :hmm:
I'll have to keep listening for awhile yet ... :up:

I'm gonna listen to Radio/Video and Question tonight as those songs I didn't get to hear ... just wasn't enough time ... :sad:

But, I absolutely could NOT tolerate Cigaro ... really a stupid song indeed !! :madspit:

inmyplace13 said:
But man, that "blast off, it's party time, and we all live in a fascist nation" line...

I think it's "we don't live in a fascist nation"
but I agree "blast off, it's party time" is cheestastic.

Sysytem of a Down is cool and all, but if you really like that style of singing you should check out Mike Patton when he was in Faith No More (not shit like Epic) but the more strange stuff, whatever SOAD tries to accomplish vocally pales in comparison. Mike Patton was doing that shit in 1992, in that respect it is a little derivative, but they play much more raw music than FNM did, FNM is one of the most talented rock acts ever but SOAD probably rocks harder.

That said, I have all 3 albums and think they are all pretty cool.
The last two are better than the first, and I don't own the 'Steal This Album' which is really b-sides and shit, but it does have Innervision which might be my favorite song by them.

I am much more of a "Beatles"-esque guy lately, but some of my roots are in metal so I can appreciate this stuff still.

Okay, so to finish my previous post ...

I did listen to Radio/Video and Question ... and thought they were pretty good !! :bow:

Actually, there were only a couple of songs I don't particularly like ...
but overall it's NOT a bad album !!

I'll have to check-out the sequel Hypnotize when that album comes out later this year !!

i bought mesmerize just because i though BYOB was completely awesome. after one listen i felt a little :huh:. i need to give it a few more listens to really see if i like it or not. regardless, they are definitely a talented band.

Yes! Great album!! Looking forward to Hypnotize.

I agree that the lyrics to Cigaro can put people off, but I interpret the point is to describe the 'bigger dick' foreign policy theory. George Carlin does a funny piece on that theory on one of his old records.

I just went out and bought this album earlier this week ...

starting to "get a feel" for some of their music ... overall, it's a pretty GOOD album !! :up:

It must be ... considering it's back in the No. 2 spot on Billboard's
Top 40 Album Chart this week !! :applaud:

i love system of a down
i really love their second album and I still haven't had a chance to get their recent one.
but from the looks of it (ratings, comments, etc.), I think i might go out and get it this weekend now :hmm:

youtooellen said:
i love system of a down
i really love their second album and I still haven't had a chance to get their recent one.
but from the looks of it (ratings, comments, etc.), I think i might go out and get it this weekend now :hmm:

Seriously, if you like 'Toxicity', I dont see how you wouldnt also really like this. Fun cd.

u2popmofo said:

Seriously, if you like 'Toxicity', I dont see how you wouldnt also really like this.

Which is the better album ... Toxicity or Mezmerize ?? :shrug:
I'm looking for some opinions here as I just purchased Mezmerize,
but haven't heard anything from Toxicity and want to know if it's
worth checking out that album too ... :scratch:

MsMofoGone said:

Which is the better album ... Toxicity or Mezmerize ?? :shrug:
I'm looking for some opinions here as I just purchased Mezmerize,
but haven't heard anything from Toxicity and want to know if it's
worth checking out that album too ... :scratch:

I think you'd like it. They're both similar yet different enough from each other that they'll keep your interest and completely enterain you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom