Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Semifinal, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • phillyfan26

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first of two semifinal heats of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

Our first semifinal is now set, as Axver defeated corianderstem in the first quarterfinal heat, 8-6, while phillyfan26 moves on after a 7-7 tie with Screwtape2 due to winning the tiebreaker in overall points.

Updated figures for our two semifinalists in this heat:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
Axver: 15, 5, 0, 0, 39, 18, +21.
phillyfan26: 13, 3, 0, 2, 28, 21, +7.

Below are the tracklistings.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Axver

pic

Life In One Chord

The harsh Cold War reality has been replaced by the fearful and corrupt War On Terror reality. In a bleak world of monotonous life in a rundown post-Soviet city, one man pours his soul into his guitar to avoid being trampled down and forgotten. It leads him into conflict: with the obstinate music industry, with the attitudes of friends and lovers, with the pressures of travel. But most importantly, it leads to conflict with the monolithic and monotonous reality and to a discovery of hope.

Headphones are recommended for best effect. Cover credit goes to LemonMacPhisto.

1. Pelican - "Dead Between The Walls" - City Of Echoes (5:05)
2. U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
3. Porcupine Tree - "This Is No Rehearsal" - Stupid Dream (3:26)
4. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
5. The Clear - "The Television Love Song" - The Clear EP (3:30)
6. Bailter Space - "Projects" - Vortura (5:07)
7. Straitjacket Fits - "Life In One Chord" - Hail (3:10)
8. REM - "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" - Monster (4:00)
9. The Chills - "Soft Bomb" - Soft Bomb (3:12)
10. Pink Floyd - "Have A Cigar" - Wish You Were Here (5:08)
11. Low - "When I Go Deaf" - The Great Destroyer (4:41)
12. Scorched Earth Policy - "Mekong Delta Blues" - Keep Away From The Wires (5:12)
13. The Triffids - "Wide Open Road" - Born Sandy Devotional (4:08)
14. Long Distance Calling - "Fire In The Mountain" - DMNSTRTN (7:37)
15. The Verve - "This Is Music" - A Northern Soul (3:35)
16. Blackfield - "Open Mind" - Blackfield (3:50)
17. Dream Theater - "Take The Time" - Images And Words (8:21)

Runtime: 78:08

Forum Name: phillyfan26

pic

Getting There

So, I entered my first Interference B&C competition. Originally, I was really excited, thinking to myself, "Hey! Now you can show these people some of your musical tastes!" Well, that excitement became worry for a while when I realized my musical tastes are somewhat limited. I started off with not even half of enough material, and I was just trying to find enough to fill 60 minutes. Then, I found a great transition in the middle, one with a lot of restrained hope that sort of came out of an almost nothingness. It's a feeling in those middle tracks. So, I built around it. I tried to frame the fall into nothingness before those tracks, then after them gradually gain the hope into something great at the very end. It's a full emotional journey, my tracklist. The beginning is a realization that the world is tougher than you ever thought, and that feeling makes you sink. It's a terrible realization. Then, hope climbs back into the picture and you cease it and try to make the best of it. It happens to everyone by their teenage years, but how many of us make it all the way back up? This is almost a lifetime in just over an hour. As I write this, I feel I'm making it sound too serious, cause I never felt that way about it, but analyzing it, that's sort of what it is. I can hear the meaning much better than I can speak it, if that makes sense.

1. Sting - "A Thousand Years" - Brand New Day (5:58)
2. The Police - "Invisible Sun" - Every Breath You Take: The Singles (3:44)
3. Gary Jules with Michael Andrews - "Mad World" - Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets (3:09)
4. Coldplay - "Clocks" - A Rush of Blood to the Head (5:07)
5. Passengers - "Miss Sarajevo (Radio Edit)" - The Best of 1990-2000 (4:32)
6. Explosions in the Sky - "Your Hand in Mine (With Strings)" - Friday Night Lights (4:08)
7. Daniel Lanois - "Sonhu Dourado" - Friday Night Lights (3:25)
8. U2 - "Heartland" - Rattle and Hum (5:03)
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Stadium Arcadium" - Stadium Arcadium (5:14)
10. Dave Matthews Band - "Grey Street" - Busted Stuff (5:06)
11. Franz Ferdinand - "Walk Away" - You Could Have It So Much Better (3:36)
12. The Beatles - "Yesterday" - 1 (2:05)
13. James Taylor - "Fire and Rain" - Greatest Hits (3:26)
14. Bruce Springsteen - "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" - The Essential Bruce Springsteen (Disc 1) (5:37)
15. Led Zeppelin - "Down by the Seaside" - Physical Graffiti (5:16)
16. Chicago - "Beginnings" - Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (7:50)

Total Runtime: 73:16

UP NEXT: Lemonchick vs. LemonMacPhisto

Competition master list.

Have fun!

My apologies to Screwtape2, but this is really the only way we can do this without it affecting Axver's potential vote totals in this round.

For those who aren't aware, this is the tiebreaker system, which is fairly straightfoward:

1. Number of points won.
2. If two players have the same amount of points, the one with the better overall record wins.
3. If two players have the same amount of points and identical records, the player with the better vote differential wins.

Last edited:
Also, this is the format for the semis, in case anyone was wondering...

Semifinals
Heat 1 winner vs. Heat 3 winner
Heat 2 winner vs. Heat 4 winner

Then the final and third place games.

I've been supportive of Axver throughout this entire tournament, but I just can't vote for him here. Philly wins on the strength of his song choices.

This is going to be close.

I wish Screwtape had made it through, though I wouldn't fancy being up against him again at all.

phillyfan26 said:
Yeah it will. Good luck to you here, your playlist definitely deserved getting this far.

Thanks - same to you. I love your run from track 5 to 8. Heeeaaaaartlaaaaand. :drool:

phanan said:
My apologies to Screwtape2, but this is really the only way we can do this without it affecting Axver's potential vote totals in this round.

For those who aren't aware, this is the tiebreaker system, which is fairly straightfoward:

1. Number of points won.
2. If two players have the same amount of points, the one with the better overall record wins.
3. If two players have the same amount of points and identical records, the player with the better vote differential wins.

So, if this remains a tie, Axver wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom