Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 6, Heat 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• LemonMacPhisto

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • LemonMelon

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the third heat of the sixth round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

In Round 6's first heat, Axver came from behind in the last hour to defeat Screwtape2, 7-6. An update on the standings will be posted after the completion of each round.

This heat features a battle of lemons, as LemonMacPhisto squares off against LemonMelon. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: LemonMacPhisto

pic

Awakenings

This playlist is basically a hybrid concept album/film idea I've been tinkering with for a while, so what better way to finish it up here? It's a sci-fi-style idea (hence the 2001 and Star Wars references in the cover) about an astronaut lost in space who lands on an emotionally repressed planet in the classic Logan's Run/THX-1138 vein (with the Big Brother government and all). During his stay, he falls in love with a woman and they both experience love for the first time. This ideal awakens all of the repressed emotions in the rest of the people (hey, Awakenings!) and they finally strike back against the tyrannical government, oh man, it's pretty badass. In the end, the astronaut returns home with his girlfriend leaving the planet and its people finally at peace. It'll all make sense when you listen to it, I hope. It sounds a lot better in my head.

(Side note: If this were a movie, the astronaut would be Christian Bale, the girl would be Scarlett Johansson, the evil overlord would be Ralph Fiennes, the bad guy's main flunky is Tim Roth, the resident badass other than the astronaut would be Samuel L. Jackson, and some of the other characters are Zooey Deschanel and Ewan McGregor (partially making up for the eternally-shitty "The Island").

1. David Bowie - "Space Oddity" - Space Oddity (5:17)
2. Pink Floyd - "Astronomy Domine" - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (4:12)
3. Gorillaz - "Intro" - Demon Days (1:03)
4. M83 - "Don't Save Us from the Flames" - Before the Dawn Heals Us (4:16)
5. LCD Soundsystem - "Someone Great" - Sound of Silver (6:25)
6. Thom Yorke - "Analyse" - The Eraser (4:05)
7. Moby - "Porcelain" - Play (4:01)
8. Sigur Rós - "Untitled 1" - ( ) (6:37)
9. U2 - "The First Time" - Zooropa (3:45)
10. Liars - "Drum Gets a Glimpse" - Drum's Not Dead (4:16)
11. Massive Attack - "Teardrop" - Collected (5:30)
12. The Beatles - "Within You, Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows" - Love (3:07)
13. Radiohead - "You and Whose Army?" - Amnesiac (3:09)
14. The Flaming Lips - "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" - At War with the Mystics (4:22)
15. Explosions in the Sky - "The Birth and Death of the Day" - All of the Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:49)

Total Time: 1:07:54

Forum name: LemonMelon

pic

Tracklist Title: Suspicion & Intrigue

This playlist was originally conceived as the soundtrack to an imaginary espionage flick about a secret agent who's called upon to track down a serial killer. Ultimately, things go awry, and he finds himself on the run, leaving his lover and previous life behind for his own safety. The relationship he previously had falls apart, and he pines for his simpler life. Regardless, he has to piece his life together and finish the job. The playlist has changed a bit, but it remains a darkly sensual experience. Even though it doesn't tell the story from start to finish, pieces of the plot pop up from time to time, and I believe it does an excellent job of conjuring up the appropriate atmosphere.

1. Massive Attack - "Angel" - Mezzanine (6:18)
2. R.E.M. - "Suspicion" - Up (5:37)
3. Super Furry Animals - "She's Got Spies" - Radiator (4:43)
4. Radiohead - "The National Anthem" - Kid A (5:50)
5. Passengers - "Always Forever Now" - Original Soundtracks 1 (6:21)
6. Jefferson Airplane - "A Small Package Of Value Will Come To You, Shortly" - After Bathing At Baxter's (1:39)
7. Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc." - Demon Days (3:41)
8. Peter Gabriel - "Darkness" - Up (6:51)
9. Beck - "Movie Theme" - The Information (3:53)
10. Bjork - "Hunter" - Homogenic (4:12)
11. Joy Division - "Disorder" - Unknown Pleasures (3:28)
12. Pulp - "I Spy" - Different Class (5:55)
13. Yes - "Mood For A Day" - Fragile (2:57)
14. Franz Ferdinand - "I'm Your Villain" - You Could Have It So Much Better (4:03)
15. Muse - "Hysteria" - Absolution (3:46)
16. The Velvet Underground - "Here She Comes Now" - White Light/White Heat (2:01)
17. Derek & The Dominoes - "Layla" - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (7:04)

Total runtime: 78:29

UP NEXT: phanan vs. COBL_04

Competition master list.

Have fun!

It's close for me here ... but I give it to the fraternity of LeMacPhi by a small margin.

phillyfan26 said:
Phanan - What's the word on the Critics' Choice Awards?

There just aren't that many people left voting. We can still have the awards if people vote. You can post your choices in any of the threads or e-mail them to me at InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com. If there are five or six ballots we'll have the awards. If not, we won't.

List your top 2 or 3 in:
Best Playlist
Best Flow
Best Mood
Best Cover
Best Songs
Most Unique
Most Creative
Most Diverse

Here are my award picks:

Best Playlist: 1. Lemonchick 2. Axver 3. Phanan
Best Flow: 1. Lemonchick 2. Corianderstem 3. LemonMelon
Best Mood: 1. Corianderstem 2. Lemonchick 3. Axver
Best Cover: 1. LemonMacPhisto 2. Supertracklist 3. Lancemc
Best Songs: 1. Axver 2. Liamcool 3. Supertracklist
Most Unique: 1. Supertracklist 2. Irishteen 3. NamkcuR
Most Creative: 1. Supertracklist 2. Lemonchick 3. Irishteen
Most Diverse: 1. Supertracklist 2. Irishteen 3. Axver

How much longer do we anticipate the tournament running? Because if it's still going to be going in the last week of October, I'm going to listen to all of the tracklists again and then do critics' choice.

Otherwise, I'll try but I may have to go off memory. Screwtape, send me a reminder to submit if it gets close to the end of the game and I haven't made any nominations. It's a busy month here.

It's not going to run much longer, actually. The quarterfinals start today, and I plan on having all four heats run simultaneously. Then the semifinals will be tomorrow and the final will be on Friday.

If we want a third place game to happen, that will be on Friday as well.

So it ends at the end of the week.

Best Playlist
1. LanceMC
2. Lemonchick
3. LemonMacPhisto

Best Flow
1. LemonMacPhisto
2. Axver
3. LanceMC

Best Mood
1. Lemonchick
2. LanceMC
3. corianderstam

Best Cover
1. Lemonchick
2. Supertracklist
3. LanceMC

Best Songs
1. LanceMC
2. LemonMelon
3. Lemonchick

Most Unique
1. Screwtape2
2. liamcool
3. LemonMacPhisto

Most Creative
1. Screwtape2
2. phanan
3. LemonMacPhisto

Most Diverse
1. Supertracklist
2. Axver
3. Irishteen

Hopefully we get a few more votes for this.

Best Playlist
1. Lemonchick
2. Lancemc
3. LemonMelon

Best Flow
1. phanan
2. liamcool
3. phillyfan26

Best Mood
1. Lemonchick
2. Screwtape2
3. Corianderstem

Best Cover
1. namkcuR
2. Lemonchick
3. Axver :wink:

Best Songs
1. namkcuR
2. Lancemc
3, Lemonchick

Most Unique
1. Irishteen
2. Lemonchick
3. Lancemc

Most Creative
1. LemonMelon
2. Phanan
3. Lancemc

Most Diverse
1. Lemonchick
2. Irishteen
3. Axver

Most Creative and Most Unique are a little confusing, since they both could mean the same thing.

Could we add a Best Title in there, too?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Most Creative and Most Unique are a little confusing, since they both could mean the same thing.

Could we add a Best Title in there, too?

I think Most Creative and Most Unique are two very different things because the most unique isn't neccessarily the most creative. I leave people the right to define those two though.

Who would you vote for best title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom