Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 5, Heat 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Lancemc

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Lemonchick

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth heat of the fifth round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

Results from Heat 2 are in, and LemonMacPhisto easily outdistanced namkcuR by the score of 8-3. An update on the standings will be posted after the completion of each round.

This heat has Lancemc going up against Lemonchick. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Lancemc

pic

Really Short Cuts

If this playlist were a movie, it would be Robert Altman's Short Cuts. Short Cuts is a film about the lives of 20-some odd characters living in or around the city of Las Angeles. It's a collection of short films in a sense, all connected by common threads: people, situations, events or just personalities. In a way, my playlist is a similar study of connections. But while Altman's stories all shared a common setting, the stories in my playlist all (for the most part) take place in different parts of the world. However, most of the characters deal with the same issues and themes.

All the tracks chosen for my list maintain a distinct focus on a particular location, or the idea of a physical setting, and how human beings embody their environments. My story isn't a straight narrative, but there is a sense of progression in the movement through time. I open with a character seeking to escape the madness of his/her own world. The obvious solution of course is to move to a new city. But there are so many choices - where to go? What follows is an examination of people at varying stages of their relationships with their settings. Some are just arriving, looking for a new start. Others are lavishing in the rewards of a fine new home. Some are at wits end, fed up and finished with their surrounding, looking to move on. And then others are past all that, looking back, maybe with regrets, maybe with a lifetime of wisdom and experience, telling parables of times past. All of these relationships are not always direct interactions between resident and locale, however. In a lot of cases it's the place that serves as a mirror to the individual's romance, or war, or quest, or personal redemption. In any case, each selection highlights a really short cut of a unique artists life and mishappening.

1. Talking Heads - "Cities" - Fear of Music (4:10)
2. U2 - "Miami" - Pop (4:52)
3. Beck - "High 5 (Rock the Catskills)" - Odelay (4:12)
4. Sufjan Stevens - "Detroit, Lift Your Weary Head!" - Greetings From Michigan (8:22)
5. R.E.M. - "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" - Reckoning (4:31)
6. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City" - Nebraska (4:00)
7. Patti Smith - "Redondo Beach" - Horses (3:26)
8. Peter Bjorn & John - "Amsterdam" - Writer's Block (3:37)
9. Arcade Fire - "Haiti" - Funeral (3:37)
10. Wilco - "Via Chicago" - Summerteeth (5:33)
11. David Bowie - "Panic In Detroit" - Aladdin Sane (4:27)
12. LCD Soundsystem - "New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" - Sound of Silver (5:35)
13. Modest Mouse - "People As Places As People" - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (3:42)
14. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945" - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (3:12)

Total Runtime: 63:46

Forum name: Lemonchick

pic

God's Away On Business

Coming up with this concept has been far more difficult than I expected it to be. In my opinion it is still very loose and incredibly unclear, and I know that that might be a great disadvantage. However, I've thought about it for about two weeks and I can't seem to come up with anything more coherent so I'm just writing it the way it sounds in my mind. I see my playlist as divided into two parts: tracks 1-7 describe the setting where my character(s) live. A dark, rainy, impoverished town; a place for bankrupt deserted carnivals, circus freaks, orphans, cheap prostitutes, and back-alley abortions. While each one of these stories is clearly dark and miserable, I've always found something extremely fascinating about that dark side of human nature. Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" summarizes these themes in an almost ironic and humorous tone. R.E.M's drive serves as a transition into what I consider to be the second part of my playlist. The mood and atmosphere is much more introvertive and personal...I almost see it as being narrated by a young man who has attempted to escape the world of darkness and corruption described in the first half. However, it is almost as though the world he encounters outside is just as dark and even more cold and desolate than the one he previously escaped. His loneliness is evident and his longing for love and something real makes his situation extremely dark and hopeless. There is a glimmer of hope and maybe the slight memory of a long-lost love (No One Would Riot For Less), but this is overshadowed by the reality of his situation..which eventually ends in death (Lacrimosa). I guess I chose the title "God's Away On Business" because I couldn't come up with anything better myself, and because it seems to summarize the themes of corruption, loneliness, and darkness of my playlist. I'm terribly sorry if none of this makes sense, I hope that people enjoy this playlist and if anyone is able to come up with a better concept for it I'd love to hear it ;)

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "The Carny" - Your Funeral...My Trial (8:02)
2. Laurent Petitgand - "Zirkusmusik (Circus Music)" - Wings Of Desire: Original Soundtrack (5:38)
3. The Decemberists - "The Chimbley Sweep" - Her Majesty (2:53)
4. Tom Waits - "God's Away On Business" - Blood Money (2:59)
5. The Dresden Dolls - "Mandy Goes To Med School" - Yes, Virginia (4:39)
6. Pulp - "This Is Hardcore" - This Is Hardcore (6:25)
7. Leonard Cohen - "Everybody Knows" - I'm Your Man (5:32)
8. R.E.M - "Drive" - Automatic For The People (4:31)
9. Jurgen Knieper - "Urstromtal (The Glacial Valley)" - Wings Of Desire: Original Soundtrack (4:04)
10. Radiohead - "Exit Music (For A Film)" - OK Computer (4:24)
11. Pink Floyd - "The Final Cut" - The Final Cut (4:51)
12. U2 - "The Unforgettable Fire" - The Unforgettable Fire (4:55)
13. Bright Eyes - "No One Would Riot For Less" - Cassadaga (5:12)
14. The Arcade Fire - "My Body Is A Cage" - Neon Bible (4:47)
15. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - "Requiem: Lacrimosa" - Mozart: Requiem (3:27)

Total runtime: 1:12:17

UP NEXT: Irishteen vs. COBL_04

Competition master list.

Have fun!

These lists were about tied for me, but I prefer Lancemc's slightly. I like most of lemonchick's list, but I'm just not a big fan of that Tom Waits song or the Wings of Desire stuff.

Props to Lance for using the only Neutral Milk Hotel track that I don't despise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom