Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 5, Heat 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Axver

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • corianderstem

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first heat of the fifth round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

The fourth round is complete. The results of the last three heats were: phillyfan26 and LemonMelon finishing in a 4-4 deadlock; namkcuR earning his first win by prevailing over CuteIrishBono, 6-3; and Lancemc edging phanan, 4-3. Here's our standings after Round 4:

Group 1

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
Screwtape2: 9, 3, 0, 0, 21, 14, +7.
corianderstem: 7, 2, 1, 0, 17, 16, +1.
Axver: 6, 2, 0, 0, 18, 2, +16.
Supertracklist: 2, 0, 3, 0, 12, 24, -12.
liamcool: 2, 0, 3, 0, 11, 23, -12.

Group 2

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, tie, votes for, votes against, votes difference
LemonMelon: 8, 2, 0, 1, 18, 12, +6.
phillyfan26: 8, 2, 0, 1, 15, 11, +4.
namckuR: 5, 1, 2, 0, 12, 14, -2.
LemonMacPhisto: 4, 1, 1, 0, 15, 11, +4.
CuteIrishBono: 1, 0, 3, 0, 12, 29, -17.

Group 3

Lemonchick: 9, 3, 0, 0, 23, 7, +16.
Lancemc: 6, 2, 0, 0, 12, 4, +8.
Irishteen: 3, 0, 1, 1, 9, 11, -2.
phanan: 3, 0, 2, 1, 12, 17, -5.
COBL_04: 0, 0, 2, 0, 2, 19, -17.

For the first heat in Round 5, we have a pivotal Group 1 showdown between Axver and corianderstem. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Axver

pic

Life In One Chord

The harsh Cold War reality has been replaced by the fearful and corrupt War On Terror reality. In a bleak world of monotonous life in a rundown post-Soviet city, one man pours his soul into his guitar to avoid being trampled down and forgotten. It leads him into conflict: with the obstinate music industry, with the attitudes of friends and lovers, with the pressures of travel. But most importantly, it leads to conflict with the monolithic and monotonous reality and to a discovery of hope.

Headphones are recommended for best effect. Cover credit goes to LemonMacPhisto.

1. Pelican - "Dead Between The Walls" - City Of Echoes (5:05)
2. U2 - "The Fly" - Achtung Baby (4:29)
3. Porcupine Tree - "This Is No Rehearsal" - Stupid Dream (3:26)
4. Joy Division - "Transmission" - Heart And Soul (3:37)
5. The Clear - "The Television Love Song" - The Clear EP (3:30)
6. Bailter Space - "Projects" - Vortura (5:07)
7. Straitjacket Fits - "Life In One Chord" - Hail (3:10)
8. REM - "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" - Monster (4:00)
9. The Chills - "Soft Bomb" - Soft Bomb (3:12)
10. Pink Floyd - "Have A Cigar" - Wish You Were Here (5:08)
11. Low - "When I Go Deaf" - The Great Destroyer (4:41)
12. Scorched Earth Policy - "Mekong Delta Blues" - Keep Away From The Wires (5:12)
13. The Triffids - "Wide Open Road" - Born Sandy Devotional (4:08)
14. Long Distance Calling - "Fire In The Mountain" - DMNSTRTN (7:37)
15. The Verve - "This Is Music" - A Northern Soul (3:35)
16. Blackfield - "Open Mind" - Blackfield (3:50)
17. Dream Theater - "Take The Time" - Images And Words (8:21)

Runtime: 78:08

Forum name: corianderstem

EaP3gk13VZUqDO8-btQv4sqpkOeElwaw025.jpg

Title: Peace

I'm not a religious person, but there are occasions where I feel very spiritual: seeing beautiful views in nature, and singing beautiful music in a choir. Music such as the Faure Requiem and Biebl's "Ave Maria" can move me to tears with its sheer beauty. I hear things like that and am convinced there is a god. (What a dichotomy - how can god inspire such violence and hatred in the world, but also inspire such beauty and reverence?)

I probably don't listen to as much classical music as other former music majors, but most of the classical music I do lean toward is of the choral variety. Aside from the occasional Mozart Requiem track or an opera bit I've heard here, I think most of the classical tunes that have landed in these competitions have been of the symphonic kind; I wanted to use a few choral pieces. But as you can see, it's not all classical music. I chose songs to keep the gentle mood going, and tried to choose songs that flowed together well.

So relax and listen. Let the music bring you to a peaceful place. And if you find yourself moved by any of the pieces, I shall share my box of tissues with you.

1. Antonio Vivaldi (composer) - "Nulla In Mundo Pax Sincera" - Shine Soundtrack (4:39)
2. Boston Pops Orchestra (composer: Camille Saint-Saens) - "The Swan (From Carnival of the Animals)" - Out Classics (2:54)
3. Yo-Yo Ma (composer: J.S. Bach) - "Cello Suite #3 in C, BWV 1009 4. Sarabande" - The Cello Suites: Inspired by Bach (4:46)
4. Alison Krauss - "You Will Be My Ain True Love" - Cold Mountain Soundtrack (2:31)
5. Daniel Lanois - "Ice" - Acadie (4:26)
6. Sting - "Saint Agnes and the Burning Train" - The Soul Cages (2:43)
7. Joni Mitchell - "Urge For Going" - Hits (5:05)
8. Sufjan Stevens - "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." - Come On Feel the Illinoise! (3:19)
9. Sia - "Breathe Me" - Colour the Small One (4:34)
10. Hem - "Half Acre" - Rabbit Songs (3:23)
11. Chicago - "Wishing You Were Here" - The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (4:35)
12. Rufus Wainwright - "Greek Song" - Poses (3:56)
13. Caetano Veloso and Gal Costa - "Baby" - Meu Nome E Gal (3:32)
14. Deep Forest - "Sweet Lullaby" - Deep Forest (3:55)
15. The Beatles - "Because" - Love (2:44)
16. The King's Singers - "MLK" - Good Vibrations (2:05)
17. Boston Symphony Orchestra (composer: Gabriel Faure) - "Requiem, Op. 48: In Paradisum" - Faure: Requiem (3:21)
18. Chanticleer (composer: Franz Biebl) - "Ave Maria" - Our Heart's Joy: A Chanticleer Christmas (7:40)

Total Runtime: 1:10:08

UP NEXT: LemonMacPhisto vs. namkcuR

Competition master list.

Have fun!

What the hell? I did not expect to be leading this round at all. 5-3 at the moment. :ohmy:

I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and you're going down. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom