Symphonic Album Mini-Game: Round 3, Heat 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• Lancemc

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • COBL_04

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklisting you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the fourth heat of the third round of the Symphonic Album Mini-Game. The object of this game is to see which forum member can create the best concept album no longer than 80 minutes.

Results from Heat 2 are in, and LemonMacPhisto has captured his first win of the tournament, defeating CuteIrishBono by the score of 10-5. An update on the standings will be posted after the completion of each round.

This heat has Lancemc finally making his first appearance in the game, going up against COBL_04. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each tracklisting flows, leave your e-mail address and we'll help you out. :)

Forum name: Lancemc

pic

Really Short Cuts

If this playlist were a movie, it would be Robert Altman's Short Cuts. Short Cuts is a film about the lives of 20-some odd characters living in or around the city of Las Angeles. It's a collection of short films in a sense, all connected by common threads: people, situations, events or just personalities. In a way, my playlist is a similar study of connections. But while Altman's stories all shared a common setting, the stories in my playlist all (for the most part) take place in different parts of the world. However, most of the characters deal with the same issues and themes.

All the tracks chosen for my list maintain a distinct focus on a particular location, or the idea of a physical setting, and how human beings embody their environments. My story isn't a straight narrative, but there is a sense of progression in the movement through time. I open with a character seeking to escape the madness of his/her own world. The obvious solution of course is to move to a new city. But there are so many choices - where to go? What follows is an examination of people at varying stages of their relationships with their settings. Some are just arriving, looking for a new start. Others are lavishing in the rewards of a fine new home. Some are at wits end, fed up and finished with their surrounding, looking to move on. And then others are past all that, looking back, maybe with regrets, maybe with a lifetime of wisdom and experience, telling parables of times past. All of these relationships are not always direct interactions between resident and locale, however. In a lot of cases it's the place that serves as a mirror to the individual's romance, or war, or quest, or personal redemption. In any case, each selection highlights a really short cut of a unique artists life and mishappening.

1. Talking Heads - "Cities" - Fear of Music (4:10)
2. U2 - "Miami" - Pop (4:52)
3. Beck - "High 5 (Rock the Catskills)" - Odelay (4:12)
4. Sufjan Stevens - "Detroit, Lift Your Weary Head!" - Greetings From Michigan (8:22)
5. R.E.M. - "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" - Reckoning (4:31)
6. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City" - Nebraska (4:00)
7. Patti Smith - "Redondo Beach" - Horses (3:26)
8. Peter Bjorn & John - "Amsterdam" - Writer's Block (3:37)
9. Arcade Fire - "Haiti" - Funeral (3:37)
10. Wilco - "Via Chicago" - Summerteeth (5:33)
11. David Bowie - "Panic In Detroit" - Aladdin Sane (4:27)
12. LCD Soundsystem - "New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" - Sound of Silver (5:35)
13. Modest Mouse - "People As Places As People" - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank (3:42)
14. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945" - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (3:12)

Total Runtime: 63:46

Forum Name: COBL_04

pic

My playlist from the start was not going to be a concept where each song told part of a story, as I said I don't have the brain for that, wish I did though! My concept is basically just centred around how my life kinda is. There's a lot of gloomy moments, but plenty of reasons to keep plugging away. At the heart of this playlist is a man who is quite depressed about his life, unhappy, down in the dumps. This is the first half of the playlist, where experiences anger (Chop Suey!, Stockholm Syndrome), Sadness (Mad World, Heaven Can Wait), constant worry (This Unavoidable Thing Between Us, Don't Forget Me, The One, The Gank). He hits rock bottom when thoughts of suicide creep into his mind (Quicksand). But all of sudden, WHAM! Life takes an unexpected turn for our protagonist. This is represented perfectly by Good Morning Good Morning, because the song goes bang and straight away wipes him out of his slumber, but the early lyrics are still despondent. But then everything changes with the lyric 'heading for home you start to roam then you're in town". Now everyone this man sees is full of life, as opposed to the total darkness he was seeing before. From here on there is not much of a story, just a few songs I pieced together because they express (to me anyway) happiness and are uplifting, although in most of the songs you can still see the doubt in the back of this man's mind. The final piece is Eclipse, which expresses happiness in the music, but if you look closely at the lyrics there is still some doubt there. I wanted to end on a 100% happy note, but wanted to express that even though this man is now happier, there are still times of doubt and despondency.

My final note is that I feel that people will probably have some quandaries with my playlist, and the interpretations of some of the songs. I just want to say this is how I have interpreted the songs, and they feel in the right place to me. I tried to focus on the music and the lyrics together. If you disagree, say so, but I am proud with the turnout, so, well, deal with it I guess. :D

Thank you!

it's twilight breaking through - a different kind of blue

1. System of a Down - "Chop Suey!" - Toxicity (3:30)
2. blink-182 - "Stockholm Syndrome" - blink-182 (2:41)
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Don't Forget Me" - By the Way (4:37)
4. Evermore - "This Unavoidable Thing Between Us" - Dreams (5:02)
5. The Wallflowers - "I Started a Joke" - Zoolander Soundtrack (3:08)
6. Gary Jules - "Mad World" - Donnie Darko Soundtrack (3:07)
7. Meat Loaf - "Heaven Can Wait" - Bat Out of Hell (4:41)
8. Nelly - "The Gank" - Nellyville (4:48)
9. Limp Bizkit - "The One" - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog 10. Flavored Water (5:43)
11. David Bowie - "Quicksand" - Hunky Dory (5:07)
12. The Beatles - "Good Morning Good Morning" - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (2:41)
13. U2 - "A Sort of Homecoming" - The Unforgettable Fire (5:28)
14. Silverchair - "Straight Lines" - Young Modern (4:17)
15. Crowded House - "Recurring Dream" - Afterglow (3:24)
16. The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony" - Urban Hymns (5:56)
17. Passengers - "Beach Sequence" - Original Soundtracks 1 (3:31)
18. Paul Colman Trio - "I Dream" - New Map of the World (4:44)
19. Paul McCartney - "Maybe I'm Amazed" - McCartney (3:53)
20. Pink Floyd - "Eclipse" - Dark Side of the Moon (2:04)

UP NEXT: Irishteen vs. Lemonchick

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Last edited:
LanceMC for me.

I enjoyed how he didn't have a match in the first two rounds. :wink:

Lance's cover is awesome. Really awesome.

Oh, there's music too? :wink:

You had Axver at the train, Lance.

My next album is going to be a photo of Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, just so I get Axver's vote.

phillyfan26 said:
You had Axver at the train, Lance.

My next album is going to be a photo of Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, just so I get Axver's vote.

:lmao:

Tip: Easiest way to get my vote would be a photo of a New Zealand train. I'd be tempted to vote for that over my own list. :wink:

Axver said:
:lmao:

Tip: Easiest way to get my vote would be a photo of a New Zealand train. I'd be tempted to vote for that over my own list. :wink:

Or maybe those bands IN a New Zealand train.

train.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh, I didn't realise that (shitty vision and all). Nice touch. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom